I'm leaving on a jet plane

I'll be flying down to SC on Monday and with these new scanners, I was concerned. So I emailed the helpful reps at dexcom and this is what I got:

To: sarah
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:03:10 -0800
Subject: RE: flights

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, you should be fine. We do still recommend that your receiver be left in your carry on and go through on the belt, but your transmitter should be fine with the body scanners.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Sandy

Sandy Turnbeaugh
Customer Care Manager
Dexcom, Inc.
YOUR PERSONAL GPS (GLUCOSE PROTECTION SYSTEM)
Toll Free: 1-888 (SEVENGO)738-3646 ext. 5258
Direct: 1-858-200-0258
Fax: 858-332-0229
sturnbeaugh@dexcom.com
visit our website: www.dexcom.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidential and privileged information or otherwise protected by law.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:16 PM
To: CustomerService
Subject: flights

Good afternoon :)

I will by flying to SC for the holidays (YIPEE!!) and Columbia Airport doesn't have the backscatter machines, but Detroit does. Is the Dex7+ safe to go through the machines?

Thanks again,
Sarah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain confidential and/or privileged information. The information is intended only for use by the recipient named above. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of information received in error is strictly prohibited.

I’ve never had a problem with the Dex going through any of the TSA scans. Like the company advises, I leave the receiver with my carryon stuff so my pockets are empty going through the scan.

that answer echoes my experience- i flew for the Turkey Holiday a month back and went through the full-body scanners without a problem. receiver went through the Xray machines, I with my oPod and Dexter, went though the full-body scanners. had to have a brief (nonintrusive) patdown but all in all, it was fine and quick.

i hope that your experience is as simple as mine was.

~a.willie

I just flew from LEX to MCO. With my Ping and 7+, I opted for the full pat-down and no magnetometers. Everything was good - as good as it gets having someone goose you where the sun does not shine. The TSA staffers all said they thought I made the best choice. They said that pump/CGM advisors all gave different answers and they were happy to help travelers.

Sidebar, I did speak with the FAA flight surgeon in Atlanta and she said to leave the RF features of the pump and CGM on at all times. She said the reason the user guides talk about turning RF off is because manufacturers have not paid for the VERY EXPENSIVE testing to demonstrate the RF in pumps and CGMs will not harm the aviation electronics. Go figure.