I'm Type 1!, NOT Type 2

Oh, and how much Muscle MILK can one consume!! lol

Michelle,

Passive aggressive attacks from an endo against T1s with children . . . now that’s interesting. Maybe you should keep your two cents to yourself next time.

Or am I supposed to be OK with your post because you added the pseudo-empathetic statement “Do you understand the same incorrect thinking in this as you have in Type 2”?

If you are having trouble understanding what I am going on about then try this on for size:

Aren’t you a little young to be an endo?

See how it works? I am accusing you of being a liar (with regards to your stated profession) but at the same time I am making a positive statement that could be seen as a compliment.

I completely agree with you here, Pavlos. I’ve noticed threads of that ilk, and on rather frustrating thread in the type two foum, that have set my nerves on edge. :slight_smile: I think your phrase “We might all be weathering the same storm, but we’re not doing it in the same boat” sums it up very nicely. Thank you for this post.

I love this! Would be great to do near a major research center, or near Bill Gates’ house!

I think that everyone has a different idea of the way that the word “intimate” relates to their diabetes experience. I don’t think that Marps was implying that type two is less intimate, really. :slight_smile: Or that the diseases you listed are somehow not intimate. Rather, I think a chronic illness is something that lends itself to being a personal affair because you are the only person on the face of the earth who knows what it is like for you. In that sense all illness is personal - intimate even. You doctors and even your loved ones do not get a backstage pass to the rollercoaster of emotions and feelings that go along with dealing with diabetes.

It is intimate, to me, because it is something that I have to deal with on an every day basis. The disease itself is not something you can see and it is often not something I can quantify with words. It is something that is constantly brewing in the back of my head - blood sugar numbers, bolus, basal, carbohydrate counts, funny feelings, testing, logging. All these things happen under the surface for me 24/7 and thus feel like…they’re personal… if that makes any sense.

We could do a utube video like the train station ones.

Since you do not have diabetes, I don’t know if you can understand the absolute fear that so many people here have over having children. For me, reading a long lecture from an endocrinologist, someone who is supposed to have in depth knowledge of my disease, telling me that I shouldn’t have children because I’m going to give them this horrible disease makes it all worse.

I think that there is a time and a place for such information, but in a community that is meant for support, and meant for diabetics to help each other defeat this one day at a time, i just don’t see the need for you to have presented that in the manner that you did. I feel like you’ve basically told me that when i choose to have children I’m first irresponsible, and secondly basically handing them this same life sentence that i have to face. I just don’t see how that is helpful in anyway. I’m sure that there is a better method for you to have proven your point without such threats.

Please consider that as much as this is a physical disease, the emotional implications are so much further reaching. As a new Type 1 (only a month diagnosed right now) the last thing that i need to read is a doctor who thinks that i shouldn’t have children. Perhaps next time you can consider the effect your words will have on those who actually are suffering from this disease and not look at it as just a research study.

Diabetic racism does exist, I’m guilty of it myself. As with any prejudice, it takes a conscious decision not to think that way and before you can do that, you have to realize that you are doing it. I think many of us, including myself, often get so wrapped in their own thing that the grass always looks greener elsewhere. That is why education and a willingness to learn is so important in our community

Mattie…read Michelle’s post again. I think what she is saying is that the arguement against having children because you have T1 and would be to blame should the kids develop it is incorrect. She was using that stand as an example of another misguided thought process.

Just a quick note, that I do not think that Michelle’s comment meant that type 1’s should not have children. I think that she was using this extreme example to argue that no one should be blamed for their diabetes. (But correct me if I’m wrong Michelle.)

In online forums, I think that it is easy to have comments be misinterpreted and given the different type of communication, this can lead to misunderstanding.

Mattie-- my fears related to having children was one of my greatest struggles when I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (as a 21 year old woman). I have overcome those fears (mostly) and now I feel excited about the idea of having children someday :slight_smile: I hope that you can feel the same :slight_smile: Check out our group Oh Baby for support on this :slight_smile:

The blame game is totally useless. :slight_smile:

I think it comes, though, as a result of sheer frustration and no place to put it with many type ones. Personally I am surrounded by self proclaimed diabetes experts who assure me that I can eat such and such without taking insulin beacuse it happens to be sugar free, that if i changed my diet it would go away and oh by the way have I heard of these great new pills that help with insulin resistance?

I don’t mind correcting and educating. But some days…like when my blood sugar spikes up to 398 because I miscalculated a carb count on a snack (which happened today, wee!)…I just feel like screaming. Haha! :slight_smile: We all have our boiling points. We all have that one polite suggestion that absolutely sends us over the edge and can even make us say things that we do not necessarily mean.

But back to my original point - I think that is how many of these discussions get started. One group gets frustrated by misinformation and vent and then the other group comes back to defend and it just snow balls. I also think that there is a lack of education on both sides. Like Pavlos said - “We might all be weathering the same storm, but we’re not doing it in the same boat”. :slight_smile:

Totally. A type 2 told me the other day that they had become type 1. (Not because they were incorrectly diagnosed, but because they had started taking insulin.) I just smiled and said, “That’s nice.” But you can’t go from being type 2 to type 1. Argh! (I don’t think…)

Bravo, Shannon!

People with Type 2 don’t "cause’ their diabetes EITHER.

It is increasingly turning out to be genetic, and the genes give defective insulin SECRETION, not just Insulin Resistance.

Even then, people who are genetically doomed to develop Type 2 have been found in lab studies to have abnormally high IR when they are young and thin.

Type 2 diabetes genes MAKE people fat, not vice versa. And 2/3s of all obese people never develop diabetes.

All documented HERE.

Note, I don’t have Type 1 OR Type 2, but MODY which is something else again. But I was diagnosed with Type 2 for 7 years and the quality of the care I received was so wretched, I would have easily ended up 250 lbs had I not read Dr. Bernstein because I was gaining weight at the rate of 30 lbs a year–after a lifetime of normal weight–once my blood sugar went over 200 at meals. And my doctors considered that level of high blood sugar NOT anything requiring treatment.

I like this idea! :slight_smile:

Shannon-

I felt this discussion was about control. Maybe you’re reading into it too much? I don’t think Marty’s intention was to offend anyone. I think he’s just venting- per the norm when someone is newly diagnosed with something that will follow them and dictate the rest of their lives.

The misconception about T2D is that they can control their diabetes through changes to their eating habits and/or exercise and weight restrictions- not weight alone. The frustration with T1D is they don’t have any choice in the matter. There is no way out.

I say misconception because it is something that many T1Ds are still struggling to discover- that some T2Ds are in the same boat as we are in that they don’t have control over it either. However, most T2s do have the ability to change their diagnosis, or at least alter it to have less impending disaster.

There are always exceptions.

K just for the record… when I posted this discussion it was meant to help clarify the differences and misconceptions between Type 1 and Type 2.

All of you people getting butt-hurt about this need to take some deep breaths.

After all we are all stuck with the same ■■■■■■ disease.

This is meant as a “discussion”, not an argument

Don’t fret, Marty- It happens a lot.
I still consider it a “discussion” even though some lids are getting blown.

Lets never underestimate the power of kindness, openness, information, understanding and unity.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn. As I read this my heart and mind get pulled in so many ways. We are all learning from each other, and that is the greater gift of this era. No need to be the same to be together. :wink:

Michelle-

I guess you’ve read too much into my post. I don’t understand where you would’ve gotten any negatives about any other disease or condition out of what I wrote.

Me talking about my disease and my feelings is ALSO very personal.

Are you just asking questions because you’re curious, because in your questions I sense an attack- and I don’t like it.

Anyone going through a chronic disease will feel similar feelings that I listed. There was nothing in what I said that compared my condition to anyone elses.