In hospital

I think that when I actually get a diagnosis or two, I will be able to focus my energy on making the best treatment choices possible. I have done this with my husband’s different cancers and it has made huge differences in his treatment.

I am getting tired though of fighting the reoccurring health crises my family keeps having to deal with. I am tired of fighting so many medical professionals.

A nurse just told me that the hospital doctor isn’t going to talk to me until he has all his ducks in a row, because I ask so many questions. LOL

I think you are exactly right about the doctors and their studies. Those studies do not include patients like us. For the first time ever I talked to a diabetic educator. She wanted to have a link to my CGM readings for the future. Why in the world would I give that information to this woman? She is not a diabetic nor do I have any connection to her.

I told her that my CGM is not giving me any surprise readings, except when it reports false readings. Patients like us are very foreign to them. I know that I am a fanatic, but tough, it is how I stay alive.

A second opinion would be good, if I can find someone competent to give a decent opinion. In a second life I would love to be a
Professional medical advocate.

3 Likes

Marilyn, So sorry to hear about the need to have your doggie put down, and all the troubles with your heart. I hope that medical intervention can fix up your heart issues. Hugs!

I still miss my last dog who had to be put down from a terrible seizure while we were on the other side of the US. I vowed not to get another dog, but about 2 years after losing her, I fell in love with a rescue dog who we have had now for about 4 years. She , like the one we lost, is an absolute sweetheart. I dread the day that I might face if she has to be put down before I depart this body.

How bad is the food at the hospital?

2 Likes

Hospitals want higher numbers, well I think half of medical professionals want higher numbers. I say that in a generalization as it isn’t always the case.

But do not go “low” or it will cause a big blow up and you want to find out what’s wrong while you are there. Maybe a little higher than what you are used to. I always drop when I get any medical treatment or test and have to start out a little higher.

They really hate lows, I think it’s because it’s something they decided they can fix. Since they can’t fix the rest of us. We all get caught up in the generalization net. But it still comes back to you need to know what is going on!

1 Like

By the way years ago when I was hospitalized I got the doctor to write orders of only fresh vegetables and fruits. Preplanned hospital stay. It was great! It was almost the exact same fruits and vegetables for every meal, but I at least had food to eat!

1 Like

Oh yes, not going low at all. I have ordered all fresh fruit and veggies. Also a little hummus. Unimaginative but adequate.

1 Like

Thanks Dave. Losing our pets is just heart wrenching. Speaking of hearts, the doctor who I like much better now, says I had the best echo cardiogram that he has ever seen He thinks that most likely my heart is fine. We shall see.
So glad that you love your dog. I have loved our rescue dogs too.

4 Likes

So what was with the insane BP drop during the stress-test caused by? Do they have an idea?

1 Like

Ok, just talked with doc who had talked to a cardiologist in a big city who said to the naked eye everything looked good, but the computer picked up a minute amount of microvascular coronary artery disease. This is what can kill perfectly fit runners.

So not all good news, but my major arteries are fine. No heart attack,no stents needed.

Also this doc will raise my thyroid.
Now I have to find out if I will join the cancer club.

I assume the artery disease caused the blood pressure drop, don’t know yet.

So good and not so good news.

1 Like

Go get 'em, Tiger (aka Marilyn). I like how you threatened to leave if they locked up the insulin. Made me laugh. Don’t make us sick Terry on 'em. Dont make Terry come down there and give them a piece of his mind.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. The cancer club isn’t one I ever wanted to join, but here I am, every day wondering if the next cystoscopy finds another growth. I didn’t apply for membership and I don’t know the secret handshake–how unfair is that? I hope you aren’t eligible to join.

2 Likes

@Marilyn6 So sorry to hear about your sweet fur-baby! We have lost two Mastiff’s in the past 5 years. It’s never easy to say goodbye as our pups cross the rainbow bridge. I hope that you feel supported and encouraged as you face these medical challenges in the near future!

3 Likes

It is terribly unfair Dave. I forget that I have had bladder cancer, but it was tiny and removed. I hope that your cancer does not turn out to be more than frequent checks. Those are not fun and stressful, but hopefully just unexpected bumps in the road.

Hugs.

2 Likes

Yeah, my dad also had a bladder cancer but it was found very quickly and he lived another 50+ years w/o a recurrence. In my case, it was a fast-growing (high grade) cancer that they removed a few months ago. I’ve yet to have a follow-up inspection of the bladder because a delay is needed to finish the BCG treatments. So I’m sort of on pins and needles.

1 Like

My husband has had two fast growing cancers, Esophageal and prostate I understand that the dx and the waiting for each new test is excruciating. I feel so bad for you Dave. Big Hugs. Hang in there.

2 Likes

If anyone is still following this. I went to my cardiologist today. He was much nicer this time and spent a lot of time with us. He reviewed the studies I had done and was quite surprised and relieved that my heart actually looks very good. He said that if I really do have a minute artery problem that is way off to the side and is insignificant. He doesn’t trust computer generated reports and this damage if there is any certainly can’t be seen with the naked eye.

He doesn’t know why my blood pressure tanked, but thought it could be from dehydration. He didn’t find it all that unusual. He wants me to find out if I have cancer and go on from there with my GP. He assumes the dull ache is caused by inflammation due to my fall and stress. I don’t have angina.

If things get worse, I will travel to a heart institute to have a definite diagnosis.

Thanks to everyone who followed me on this journey. I appreciate your caring and concern, and your willingness to let me vent. This helped me immensely.

6 Likes

@Marilyn6 I’m sending good thoughts and prayers that your tests for cancer are negative. I’m so glad to hear your heart is doing great!

3 Likes

I was recently with my mother for 8 weeks in the USA (she is 97!) helping her through some nasty med problems. Terrible low blood pressure. Due to? Dehydration. For some strange reason (her age maybe?) it just started happening… she simply needs to be aware of the need to drinks more.
That said, I send sincere wishes for a speedy recovery. You are a very spunky lady and there is no reason to stop now. I (like many others) loved your reaction to the diabetic educator! Don’t change.

2 Likes

Wow Eliz, your Mom has been fortunate to live a very long life!

Normally my BP tends to run high, especially in the hospital when I am stressed, so it was high before the test.

I don’t think the cardiologist is looking at the full picture. I might have been somewhat dehydrated, since they were withholding water before the test, but I don’t think that is the reason for my heart rate dropping or my blood pressure bottoming out. I will be thrilled if that was the problem though. I want what was seen on the computer to be full investigated. Glad I am going to see another cardiologist.

Funny, I couldn’t sleep the other night because I kept coming up with analogies to show non diabetics how it feels to have the diabetic educators and nurses try to take away insulin at the hospital or to control dosing. I came up with some good ones which took complete control away from people in their everyday lives. Even though I kept control of everything, being constantly questioned by educators who do not live with this disease, made me feel violated. The doctors were fine with me making all the decisions, but others weren’t. Grrrr.
Thanks for the good wishes!

1 Like

Of course were still following this. Everyone is wishing the best for you, everyone is waiting for the word to come that you will be OK.

7 Likes

Wow! I never heard of this before. I’ve never had fluids withheld prior to a stress test, that I can recall at least. I’ll pay attention when I have my next one! Everyone does things so differently today.

My husband just had in-patient surgery and was told to drink at least 40 ounces of non-red fluids starting 24 hours before surgery and stopping three hours prior to the surgery. This was a first for us. Typically you’re barely able to take a swallow of water with any pills they want you to take the morning of surgery as everything stopped at midnight. They said they wanted him hydrated.

Ditto to what @Stemwinder_Gary said!

2 Likes