Include and help those who need it most

Hi Terry4,

I’m in agreement with the concept that experienced diabetics could be helpful in the education of less educated pwd. But I think there are a couple of practical issues with a buddy system.

As we have oft noted, our doctors don’t always agree with us. Sometimes they won’t even write us the prescriptions we need! So I think it would be a huge step for the medical profession to support us as a source of complimentary education. In the 70’s, Richard Bernstein was frustrated that the medical profession resisted patient use of blood sugar meters. He had to get a medical degree to get their attention. Even today, there is not widespread agreement on tight control.

Even though both you and I probably agree on a number of basics, we would not necessarily give the same advice to a “buddy.” And if we opened up that buddy system to all of our forum members, the variation in advice would almost certainly be even greater. Even though we might turn in stunning personal A1c numbers, that doesn’t automatically make us good teachers for others. In a few cases where I’ve helped others, I’ve tried to stress what works for me and what I believe the basis is for why it works. But I also note that one size does not fit all or YDMV as we often quote here.

Still, there is a wealth of experience on this forum that is not being tapped. And we should continue to explore ways to extend that knowledge.

If I am reading Terry’s intent correctly he is wanting to see TuD and the entire DOC become better resources for those that are struggling. Those that succeed need to be better mentors to those that are not. The DOC should be more that just a club for those that do things right.

We occasionally, more than just occasionally, see the spirit of what Terry is seeking here at TuD. The most powerful sentiment I see here at TuD is this " We can help, we know the struggles and complexities of diabetes, we know there is a lot to learn, we will help you learn it. With help you can do it too" If we each embrace that sentiment we will be on a course to being what Terry wishes for.

Thank You Terry.

3 Likes

Thank-you @mohe0001.

I agree. I submit, however, given some humility, we may be able to couch our advice with sufficient urging that our singular experience will not necessarily translate well to another person with diabetes. Stating our recognition of “your diabetes may vary” will also help someone we seek to assist.

Given that context, I think we have an unbelievable amount of knowledge and wisdom that can help. I believe most of our experience is being summarily wasted. And many of our doctors perpetuate the absymal experience endured by many of our diabetes sisters and brothers. The docs just don’t see us as the asset that we are. We don’t have the credentials after our name, therefore our experience and wisdom is dismissed as merely anecdotal. This is tragic.

This is, of course, not the mindset of all health care providers. Clinicians have always been slow to change. Our era is no different. Maybe we should focus on students in medical school.

I do wish for more of us to share my sentiment, but more importantly, I’d like to imagine some possible actions that we can take, individually and collectively, to reach out to our sisters and brothers who are unable to engage in philosophy while the world relentlessly crushes their bodies and spirits.

I have more questions than answers.

First of all, sorry if the post goes too long. Is my first time in a diabetes forum so… and second, english is not my natural language! So, with that disclaimer written, let’s go.

I’m 30 years old now and been married with DBT1 since I was 3… 27 years :open_mouth:.

The most complicated part is when you are a teenager. All the hormons jumping and going like they are in an electronic music festival, all that “bad attitude” of “I know everything and the world doesn’t” is very complicated to handle when you have Diabetes.

I’ ve been in Nicole’s shoes. I didn’t give so much attention to it for a period of my life and I paid the consecuences. So, what did I do? First, assume that what I did was my responsability. Second, asume that I’ll fail and hit the wall. Third, among the losing games to come, I can win the season :).

So, it all ends in what you want and what you do. The great thing about social media is that now you have thousands of experiences to read in your pocket. They go with you everywhere.

I decided to open a Facebook Page and Instagram account to share my day-by-day with my diabetes. To show other people -like Nicole- that you can have good days and bad days, some days you achieve your goals and other days you are far away from them. If I can inspire ONE person to take as a example of what to do -or not!-, i’ll pleased.

IDK if Nicole wil read this. But, for all the Nicole’s out there, you’re not alone. Talk, don’t be shy, even for the ‘perfect ones’. We all have been there :).

Thanks!

8 Likes

BDI was a real boon to me a few years back! Thanks for the reminder…

They (BDI) are a great bunch of people. I got to work with Bill Polnksky on a few projects, A treat treat and opportunity.

What you say here, Jen, mirrors my experience. Now I that I have the tools (CGM + pump) to actually control my BG, I realize how innocent of charges I’ve been for the past 50 years! Doctors, nurses and more recently (since the internet), felllow PWD badgered and berated my inability to land a decent A1c, threatening me with the grizzly list we all know so well… This is a perfect set up for failure!

I think at least some of us would have done WAAAYY better from the getgo if we’d been handed a Dexcom set up, maybe a pump, given a necessary ideas about foods and adjusting levels for All The Things, then sent out to figure it out for ourselves. …With a 24/7 nonjudgmental help line available, of course. That way instead of the demeaning “parental” role most medical staff inadvertently take on for us, the new PWD could work with them as teammates to become the champion of their own care… Which is what success looks as feels like, right? And in my perfect world, only MD-PWD’s whould be allowed to treat the newly diagnosed among us?