Infusion Set Issue After Issue

This morning after I woke up I decided it was time to change my infusion set for my insulin pump. Before changing my infusion set, I gave 1.5 units to start working in my body in preparation for breakfast. Note: I have dawn phenomenon so I give about 1.5 units first thing in the morning then the rest of the insulin I will need for my breakfast about 5 minutes before I eat. This really helps reduce my blood sugar rise post meal. Anyways, today when I was about to change by infusion set I decided to put on a Sure-T. I was using a quick set, which works fine for me most of the time. I don’t use the Sure-T a lot because it hurts me if I put it in the wrong place and sometimes it is hard to figure out what a good place is. I haven’t used a Sure T for a couple of weeks, so I thought I would give it a go again. I put the new infusion set in my upper abdomen area, gave the rest of my bolus for my breakfast eat and left for work. During this time, I also changed my Dexcom CGM. About 2 hours after I changed my Dexcom I put in my two calibrating blood sugar readings, which shocked me when I saw that my blood sugar was 241 and 244! Typically my blood sugar after breakfast is no higher than 150. So I gave a bolus of 2 units and jogged in place for about 5 minutes. Then the arrow on my Dexcom went from going up slant ways to going straight up. What the heck! I carry an extra Sure-T in my purse to I got it out and pulled off the old one. Underneath the infusion set I saw the problem. The insulin had pooled under the tape and was not getting into my body. Yikes! Have any of you had this happen before and do you know why?
Side note: I have a tendency to feel incredibly bloated periodically, like there is a ton of air just under my skin in my upper abdomen. I don’t know why and it doesn’t last all the time. Anyone have this happen too?

Kindest regards,

Cheri

Sounds like you may have hit some scar tissue and the Insulin was coming out of the insertion site…I had that happen to me a couple times…Try using other sites like me I use my upper arms and the area just above my butt on my back…I love the Sure-T infusion sets, if you have a problem pulling out sets the Sure-T is the way to go.

HI Cheri-
I think this will be a no real answer because everyone is different and as you know what worked today might and probably will not work tomorrow. I’ve been pumping for about 26 years and have used many different infusion sets over the years. I am now back to metal sets due to having more occuslion alarms with my t:slim pump that I never had with my Medtronic. Since using metal again (used metal way back when because that was all we had). Notsurehow long you’ve been pumping but scar tissue seems to be a huge problem for many. And you spot,ignite just have to be off limits for a long while. As you know rotation is key.
I have never had insulin pool undertake tape and how frustrating is that one! My usual problems bent or pulled out canula. I suggest getting as many different samples as you can. You will find one that works. Most companies give out samples beau se they want you to buy them! Also maybe you pump trainer or endo. Good luck and keep running in place! (I run up and down the stairs!)

1 Like

I’ve read about this kind of infusion failure but have not experienced it myself. It’s possible that the cannula tip was in non-absorbent scar tissue and pressure at the insulin pool created a path on the outside of the cannula and wicked its way to the skin surface.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Yes, I have pumped insulin on Medtronic pump for 16 years now. The first 10 years, delivery was accurate and I never had much of problems. My control is within non-diabetics level.

About 6 year ago, I got no insulting delivery or partial delivery, so
often got unusually high. So I switched back and forth
between all the infusion sets in order for some kind of the infusion sets to work.
2 months ago I switched off Silhouette since it stopped working, back on
Sure T. But it worked a couple of weeks. I had to change the set
every 1 1/2 days.
And it’s getting shorter and shorter time for a Sure-T to work.
Right now, it’d be good luck if it works overnight that long.
I am seriously thinking about going back to injections.
Any better long term insulin to use these days. I actually attempted a couple
of years ago after all the existing Medtronic infusion sets failed on me.

Any other pump manufacturers carried REALLY different infusion sets
that may change the dynamics of working or not working. I remember
that I studied a few years ago, they do not seem to any difference in
terms of infusion sets. i.e. either canola or metal inside your body.

Anyone any comment ? I am really frustrated. During the day time,
I resort to needle injection currently.

I have used upper arm, thighs, waist, butt. No luck of success.

I am so sorry the pump is now not working. I don’t know what I’d do without my little portable pancreas. I have meet and talked with many long time pampers who have switched back to MDI. They have switched because the new long acting insulins are so much better than the older ones. Tresiba seems to be the most used. Many are going Tresiba and Afreeza. But you could use the just approved new “faster acting” Fiasp. Good luck and old school is not a bad thing. Many, many people get great results with injections.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
How is your little portable pancreas ?Works well ? As expected?

Sally7 Type 1 or LADA
October 9 |

I am so sorry the pump is now not working. I don’t know what I’d do without my little portable pancreas. I have meet and talked with many long time pampers who have switched back to MDI. They have switched because the new long acting insulins are so much better than the older ones. Tresiba seems to be the most used. Many are going Tresiba and Afreeza. But you could use the just approved new “faster acting” Fiasp. Good luck and old school is not a bad thing. Many, many people get great results with injections.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Diane_Jones
October 9 |

Yes, I have pumped insulin on Medtronic pump for 16 years now. The first 10 years, delivery was accurate and I never had much of problems. My control is within non-diabetics level. About 6 year ago, I got no insulting delivery or partial delivery, so often got unusually high. So I switched back an…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.