Insulin and Byetta

Do you use both insulin and Byetta? I Have taken Byetta and I currently take insulin but I haven't used both at the same time.

I'm wondering if there are any special precautions or considerations. Are there and Do's and Don'ts when on both meds.

I don't know much about using Byetta, but David Mendosa's site has several articles under "Medications", then "Byetta". I'd start there. He's also on Facebook, so you might be able to ask him questions. I don't know if he used both in combination, but I'm sure that using Byetta would be rather risky with insulin, as it makes digestion rather unpredictable. You might be able to use a basal insulin, but I think rapid insulins would just be too risky in combination with it.

https://www.facebook.com/Diabetes.Update

http://www.mendosa.com/

Just found this: looks like I was correct, slow acting insulin like Lantus might be ok, but not the fast acting mealtime insulins:

http://www.byetta.com/

"BYETTA is not insulin and should not be taken instead of insulin. BYETTA can be used with Lantus® (insulin glargine), which is a long-acting insulin, but should not be taken with short- and/or rapid-acting insulin. BYETTA is not for people with type 1 diabetes or people with diabetic ketoacidosis."

You should also be aware of the possible side effects:

"Important Safety Information for BYETTA® (exenatide) injection

Serious side effects can happen in people who take BYETTA, including inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) which may be severe and lead to death. Before taking BYETTA, tell your healthcare provider if you have had pancreatitis, stones in your gallbladder (gallstones), a history of alcoholism, or high blood triglyceride levels. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have pain in your stomach area (abdomen) that is severe, and will not go away. The pain may happen with or without vomiting and may be felt going from your abdomen through to your back.
Your risk for getting low blood sugar is higher if you take BYETTA with another medicine that can cause low blood sugar, such as a sulfonylurea or insulin. The dose of your sulfonylurea or insulin medicine may need to be lowered while you use BYETTA.
BYETTA should not be used in people who have severe kidney problems and should be used with caution in people who have had a kidney transplant. BYETTA may cause new or worse problems with kidney function, including kidney failure.
Before you use BYETTA, tell your healthcare provider if you have severe problems with your stomach, such as delayed emptying of your stomach (gastroparesis) or problems with digesting food.
Do not use BYETTA if you have had an allergic reaction to exenatide or any of the other ingredients in BYETTA. Severe allergic reactions can happen with BYETTA. Stop taking BYETTA and get medical help right away.
Tell your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if BYETTA will harm your unborn baby. Talk to your healthcare provider first if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
The most common side effects with BYETTA include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling jittery, dizziness, headache, acid stomach, constipation, and weakness. Nausea most commonly happens when first starting BYETTA, but may become less over time.

These are not all the side effects with BYETTA. Talk to your healthcare provider about any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away."

Thank you Emmy, As you know I'm on A pump now and not planning to go back to Byetta.

I ask this question for the sake of another member. I hope your answer helped her.