Insulin pumps, mainly Omni pod, and MEDICARE

Fair, sure. If you want the latest things sometimes you have to be willing to wait or pay for it yourself. I had to wait many years before my insurance would cover ANY pump.

I have used the MMpump system and I like it. What has to be changed is the infusion set, the separate part part that is attached to you with the cannula and the tubing, every three days. When the reservoir: the little cartridge that the insulin goes in, that is inside the pump itself, is empty, you change it too. If the resevoir still has insulin remaining in it that you want to save for the set change, you can easily draw it out with a disposable syringe and put it in a new reservoir.

Correct me Omnipod users if I am wrong, but I have read that the any remaining insulin in the Omnipod has to be discarded with each change, as the entire cannula and the container ( resevoir) for the insulin are all in one piece. It ALL has to be discarded at the set change. Maybe that is one of the reasons it is more expensive in the long run than the MM.

I do not find the MM pump to be restrictive. As far as placement, I place it in my bra when I do not want it seen due to clothing choices. Most people think it is a pager/cell phone and pay no attention when I have it on a belt loop or in my jeans/pants pockets. The tubing is easily hidden inside your clothes and I do not leave it out to snag on objects, if that is one of your fears.Treatment wise, the MM pump works just as well inside or outside the clothes. I just did not want that big Omnipod “egg” bulging though my tops,sleeves , pants legs that may be snug -fit style clothing.: I admit to being a Fashionista (LOL).
A Plus for the Omnipod is that you can swim or shower with it still attached, which I do not do with my MM pump… Just my two cents

God Bless,
Brunetta

Brunetta…I like clothes as well and after my friend with the MM advised me about the restrictions for her, and I see her with it, I made my decision.
I am a small person. The “bulge” of the pod does not show. I wear it under my ribs, on my stomach.
I found that to be the most comfortable place…
thanks for your reply…

I will not give up without a fight!!

Dee I love my pod too and if I were in your situation I would continue to fight as well, especially if you were covered for the pump at first and then they all of a sudden say no. Weird!! Good Luck…

I have no experience with the Omni-Pod; and, I’ve never even seen one. I am now able to use my Mini-Med Quick-Set resivoir and cannula between five and six days without difficulty. I did try the addition of a sensor; but it was rather a nuisance. The alarm continued long after I had responded to it! Medicare also didn’t pay for the sensor, which quickly became pricy. I had used the Gluco-Watch with much the same result. Although, after more than fifty years of tight control, I’ve lost the ability to feel lows reliably, I just have to predict and watch closely. Good luck to all of you with fewer years than I. Dan Kelly

In the long history of Diabetes T1 or T2 there have been different ways of determining the type. Some have simply been determined by age for those who use GPs. That’s how my friend was diagnosed. When I was diagnosed 50 years ago I don’t know how I was diagnosed, it might have been by symptoms or the fact that I eventually went into DKA…who knows.

I have been denied three times in the past 13 months, but Medicare hasn’t seen one claim. My applications have been passed on to resellers,such as Diabetic Care and Education, and CCS Medical. Two of those application were denied in the last three weeks. It seems my C -peptide result was FOUR TENTHS of ONE point over Medicare’s guidelines. They are gonna get sick of seeing my name cause I ain’t giving up.

, I will continue to “fight” for coverage …including going to my Congressman and Senator if all else fails…
Good Luck to both of us!!
Medicare says they cover “durable medical equipment” and I was told this by someone in the Center for Medicare and Medicaid. INsulin pumps are Durable Medical Equipment. ALL PUMPS>>>

Good for you. I hope it helps. I know that it will be very frustrating though. You seem like you can handle it.

I’m trying… Also Stressing… :-\

There are multiple reasons you should be cautious about using your infusion sets beyond the three days though - absorption rates, scar tissue, infection, etc. Most people can do it for several years but later find that they’ve effectively exhausted the areas where they left infusion sets in for longer than the suggested period of time. I have several friends in that boat, including myself. Some members here now have to change every day or two due to absorption problems from leaving sets in for too long. I don’t mean to chastize - just to point out that EVERY pump company suggests a change every 3 days with good reason. If people have to stretch out their supplies, I understand, but I would just advise against it.

I used the Minimed for 8 years, the Cozmo for 1, and have been on the Omnipod for nearly 5 months. I highly recommend it. In the end, I think you should fight for the pump that makes you most comfortable, but take any pump they’re willing to pay for. They’re all great products - I promise.

As far as the costs, my husband did the math before we jumped on board with the Omnipod. It’s a little more expensive over a four year warranty, but really almost negligible. The supplies are more expensive, but there is also the added benefit that any time they upgrade the technology of the pod itself, you essentially get a new insulin pump when they ship you the updated pods, so you’re getting upgraded devices without an increase in cost. Then again, it’s also sort of like you’re “renting” the system because if they don’t ship you pods, you essentially have no pumping system - whereas you could order infusion sets from almost any company and continue to use a purchased conventional insulin pump. There are pros and cons. The out of pocket costs for an infusion set vs. a pod are essentially $12 vs. $30, but you also don’t have to buy reservoir cartridges, additional tape, or optional pouches/clips.

I could be wrong on this, but I want to say that, without insurance, four years on the pod will run you about $1,000(?) for the initial PDM (though I got mine for $50) and $14,000 for the pods, or $15,000 over the warranty of the device. Four years on the competing Minimed Paradigm pump (and I know these prices are accurate) will run you about $6,000 for the pump, $5568 for infusion sets, and $1584 for the reservoirs, for a total of $13,152. In the end, it’s a price difference I personally find negligible. I don’t see what the fuss is, everyone. It averages out to $312 vs. $274 a month, long term. I’m not wealthy and my insurance pays for 80-90% of it, but still, these aren’t the kinds of numbers that turn insurers away. Omnipod is a provider on the national Blue Cross plan. Won’t be long before Medicare is on board, too.

This is my first reply. I have been on insulin for 41 years. I have been on the pump for 4 weeks. I don’t know much about the pump but I do know a lot about insurance (and no insurance). I had a problem last night and was scared. So I came to this site, asked a question and got replies. It made me feel so much better. So just calm down. The solution to your problem is quite simple. Apparently your supplier " Edge park" does not accept medicare. You either need to find another supplier that accepts medicare or pay for it yourself then send the bill to medicare and they will reimburse you the amount they allow for the purchase of an insulin pump. You can find out those numbers from the supplier and medicare beforehand. If you have to get your supplies there you also need to find out about those cost before making a decision. If you can afford it, go for it. As of TODAY the goverment cannot force a doctor or a business to accept medicare. We are seeing more and more doctors refusing medicare because they pay them such a small amount. I wish the best for you.

My insurance company, A medicare advantage plan, was the “go between” who connected me to Edgepark.
I have since found there are other distributors that will possibly cover me via insurance. I am working on it.
It’s not a question of whether I can afford it or not…I feel it’s a moral issue. I was initially covered by my ins. co, Edgepark says I am not.
Who runs the show, Edgapark or my Insurance ???

This has been very stressful for me…I am a fighter, but it’s not a good situation for my well-being.

I will say this - at the end of the day it comes down to your health.If they won’t cover your pump supplies you might have to consider switching to another method or brand of insulin pump while you try to get the paper work to go through - sometimes you can fight to get insurance companies to cover things that they hadn’t previously. Though, it may take a while as they may wait for the Omnipod’s costs to go down.

I will say this - a pump is a pump is a pump, bottom line. If the pumping method works for you then it shouldn’t ultimately matter if it is tubeless or not. :slight_smile: There are many other pumps on the market that have user friendly interfaces and the remote access.

Good luck!

If there is ANY OTHER distributor I would go there. I would not want do deal with Edgepark after what they have put you through. Dee, with many of us it IS a matter of whether we can afford it or not. My doctor says that I need the continueous glucose moniter but I can’t afford it. When I was on 5 shots a day my doctor said I was on the poor mans pump. And if insurance companies had morals my mother would still be alive.

Stacy the situation stinks! I tried the glucose monitor, knowing it was not covered. BUT, It hurt me so much, I had to take it out. I don’t think I would have taken it.
When my situation is finalized, I will write on here who the distributor is. I am waiting for an email that I requested telling me I am covered. Words alone don’t do it for me any longer. I want it in writing!
I read yesterday, on this website someplace, about someone who called the insulin pump companies and did work out something where she could pay it off after puttiing in a down payment…
Would that possibly work for you

Staci…
here is what I found…

Permalink Reply by Cynthia D 1 day ago
I just talked to Animus – they are awesome! They’ll let me put half $ down and pay the balance in small monthly payment. I’m very excited. Thanks!

► Reply to This

What CGM did you have? My guess is MM. I have the 7+ and I never feel the slightest discomfort. I have to look at it to know that it is there.