Insulin to carb ratio

T1D, 160 pounds, midnight to noon, 1:4, noon to midnight 1:7. 1 unit of insulin will drop me 55 points (ISF). I take a total daily insulin dose of 27 units, about 50/50 basal/bolus.

At 31 years post-diagnosis my pancreas puts out no appreciable endogenous insulin.

I eat a low carb high fat diet, 30 grams of carbs per day limit.

Mine varies for different foods and times of day. It was 1:10 but when I switched to the pump it went first to 1:15, then 1:12 and now 1;12, 1:11.5 and 1:10 for various times. I may need more and less though still at times but I'm so variable throughout the day and depending on starting bg, activity etc. I definitely need more for very carby foods but then I risk a hypo too most of the time.

T1 Adult onset; it is going on 8 years. I weigh 138. My I:C are 1:7, 1:10 and 1:15 for the three meals. My ISF is between 46 and 51 depending on time of day. My TDD varies from about 18-26. I eat what I call moderate low carb, about 50-70.

Hi,

I am probably lada - or maybe type w (meaning weird). We are all different in what works for us.

My insulin:carb ratio is about 1:20, but it is highly dependent on what I am eating.
I am female and it is also very much affected by the time of the month / hormone levels (I need much higher doses / larger amounts of insulin in the second half of my cycle).

I typically do not bolus unless I am eating grains / potato / sweets.

I mainly use basal insulin, and use short acting insulin for corrections. My last a1c was 5.0, and I haven't had a recorded low below the mid-70s in about 2 years (after I stopped using bolus for meals) so this is working for me.

After tweaking them for more than 27 years my carb ratios (carbs per insulin) are as follows:
These numbers are tailored to Levemir. For Lantus I would need small adjustments two to three hours before the next injection (Lantus will not cover 24 hours for me). It is really about time to test the coverage of the new Tresiba...

That's amazingly granular! Why the relatively high target BG, do you become too susceptible to lows, or unstable, with a lower target?

I'm 2 units/12-15g. I dose heavier for refined, quick acting carb. I dose heavier in the morning and lighter in the eave. My basal pushes me low in the eave, so I might only dose 1u/15g, or 0u/15g (up to 30g, to push BG 100 points higher before bed). In the mornings, I might go as high as 4u/15g, if I'm in the thralls of DP. So, I'm kinda sneaking adjustments into my meals, all over the place, I guess. I usually wont go over a 12 u meal bolus, so if I'm REALLY hungry I dose 12u and try to eat to that, but the guys have been encouraging me to break those big bolus shots into two 6 unit injections to help with absorption.

I think it is my sensitivity to insulin. A great help are the 1/2 unit Novo Pens I am using. Still I have found that I over-correct too often. With the higher targets my App will not propose a correction. I sort of trick myself to better control my impulse for corrections. I have also found that with my usual A1C below 6 I need to back off a little (ok this month right after the flue my A1c will be a little higher). I need the extra wiggle room to accomodate for physical activities and other glucose consuming tasks. The distance from being normal to being low is just so small...

I hear you. I too found the half-unit pens helpful, though my new t:slim pump is a whole nother level of granularity, and the insulin-on-board function--appropriately interpreted--is also rather useful in avoiding hypos.

1 Like

After diagnosis I started with a ratio of 1:12, the doctor later reduced it to 1:15.

Oh, Dave, if there is one damn linear relationship in this entire mess of a dynamic system, I would sure as hell like to know what it is. :)

Mine is 1:55 since my pancreas still works

1:7, all day, every day (38 years T1).

Right now I am experimenting with 1:10 which was usually correct before I went on a pump. Now I am finding ,myself going too low due to the steady stream of basal. Will be tweaking with my CDE as I my body gets used to the pump. My correction factor has been 1:30 pre-pump and I'm not sure that's the case anymore.

As I always have though as a PWD, I'm a walking experiment!

Morning:

1:8 Regular
1:12 Apidra

Afternoon & Evening:

1:11 Regular
1:16 Apidra

I'm at about 1:10 for breakfast and 1:15 for lunch and dinner. I'm on very low basal (4 units of Lantus) and eat relatively low carb, so my TDD is only 8-9 units.

Interestingly, I can still eat 7-10 about carbs for a fourth meal with no insulin and drop back to roughly where I started after 3 hours, so I'm assuming I still have some insulin production (a C-peptide test is in my near future). I had a 13 year honeymoon without insulin and it seems to be continuing to some degree a year later.

I've read quite a few people say they required less insulin when going from MDI to a pump. I'm not sure the reason for this, but it should be noted.

Mine is 1:11. my endo told me to start with 1:10 but since my pens aren’t half units and as it happens I tend to eat between 40-50g carbs per meal I just inject 4u and let the chips fall where they may.

Mine also lessens as the day goes on.
Breakfast - 2/10
Lunch - 1.5/10
Dinner - 1/10
Now these are if I eat a moderate amount of protein and fat. If I eat larger portions, I always have to compensate with more insulin, that that among is just a guess.

Half Unit Pens???

Wtf, those exist... Awesome Iʻve been dialing in .5units ½u of Lantus for Long terming. I used to use and got better ratios with Lantus with split dosing strategy. so the overlap would avg out to desired Basal.

I usually set target goal to higher like 150/160 when high to avoid lows and try to Get BG reduced in stages so as not to overshoot and start a Bungie Bouncy House BG fluctuations.

I was on a 1u:10carb ratio for years but never really changed it due to ease of calculation. I think most doctors use the 10 ratio or closest even number for ratios. Right now with testing Iʻm using a 1:11 or 1:12 ratio. Looking forward to pumping to get better accuracy on BG correction.

Thanks everyone previous for the Carb Ratio study,
Mik