Insurance benefits

Hi all,

I just recently had to quit my job because childcare was getting to be too expensive and because of this, I went on my husband’s insurance plan. It turns out that his benefits only cover 50% of durable medical equipment. I can’t afford $180/month for a box of dexcom sensors - and I haven’t even gotten pricing for the pump supplies yet. Is there any place I can go that provides low cost supplies - or have any of you dealt with this and can provide some advice? I’m at a loss!

Thanks!

1 Like

There’s another cgm called the Freestyle Libre that comes at a much lower cost. On it’s own, the libre does not alarm when you hit a high or low. If you value the alarms the Dexcom provides, then you can buy a device called the nightrider that pairs with the Libre and will enable alarms.

I personally don’t use the Libre, but I’ve heard wonderful things about it’s accuracy, and it’s significantly cheaper than the Dexcom.

If I were ever in your situation, I would definitely look into the Libre.

What insurance is it? Do you have a copy of plan coverage? Just because they say it’s not covered, you need to dig deeper.

It’s United Healthcare - I have a copy of the benefits pamphlet that they sent out during open enrollment. It doesn’t say anything about durable medical equipment - I didn’t think to call and ask beforehand. I also called our pharmacy benefits and they don’t cover dexcom (or pump supplies) at all! Insane!

Many (most?) seem to get about 2 weeks from each Dexcom sensor (after restarting after 7 days). So the true cost may be closer to half of that.

I used to have to pay this but never used the Dex, Pump supplies. All I did was try to order when I could and stretch them if I could. You may only be locked into this for the rest of the year, if they possibly change plans at the employer for next year. 50 percent is not fun.
I do use the Libre, the insurance is covering now and a month of sensors is costing $32. Many plans now covering. I like it, you will run into some who do not. But I dont need the overnight alarms that badly. Best wishes, it surely isnt a fun place to be in.

1 Like

Can you ask your husband’s employer for help? The HR dept may be able to point you to the right place for DME coverage.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the timing or cost of everything, but check with your old place of employment and ask about COBRA insurance. There will be a cost of course, and it is only good for 18-24 months or so, but perhaps less than the cost of supplies and insulin?

2 Likes

You might try going through Solara Medical Supply. They were able to cover my Freestyle test strips through my insurance even though my insurance said I couldn’t use Freestyle brand. The agents at Solara have been very helpful.