Insurance Companies paying for cont. blood glucose monitoring devise for MM722 pump

I recently was sent the new Mini Med 722 pump by Medtronics. The Mini Med rep. told me that as of yet, no major insurance companies have been paying for the blood glucose monitor that accompanies the MM722 pump. FYI, the monitor is designed to send blood sugar results to the pump via a radio signal. The pump can be programed to alarm when you are hyperglycemic or hypoglycemic based on a pre-self-programmed target high or low reading.

Has anyone had any success in getting a medical necessity exception from their medical insurance company and gotten them to pay for the monitors for the C.B. G. M.device? I have hypoglycemic unawareness and could greatly benifit from this new device.

Thank You!

Mark

I got approval from my insurance company, but they are withdrawing it in a month or so. They say there’s “not enough scientific data” to justify paying for them. I just put in another order for a 3 month supply, so I am am hoping that they get those to me before they quit paying. Then I will just have to use them some of the time. I can’t afford them otherwise.
I also have hypo unawareness and I live alone, so it has really helped me since I got in in February. I am just hoping they reconsider or get on with the getting of all this “data” they need.

I use a mm paradigm 712, and was just told yesterday that my insurance will not cover c.g.m. until 2009.

I sent in my second level appeal yesterday–they have 15 days to respond…so we will see how much harder I need to fight…

My insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) seems to be covering it. The lady I spoke to at MiniMed submitted the transmitter and the sensors separately to see if they would cover the transmitter first. The reason being is the transmitter is returnable should they decide not to cover it whereas the sensors are not returnable I think because of their sensitivity to changes in temperature. At least that’s what the lady at Minimed said. Here’s to hoping they continue to cover it.

Aetna pays with letters of med necessity and appeals. i have documentation of what i sent, contact me back if you want copies.

You are so fortunate to have been able to use the sensor since February. This past week I have had 3 readings in the low 30’s with no symptoms of low blood sugar. Have you found the accuracy of the devise to be acceptable? In the mean time, I am checking often and waking up once at night to check my blood sugars.

I began using Apidra, the new fast acting insulin and found it to be working well. I noticed more lows upon starting and had to adjust my basal rates some. Another challenge I’ve had is using new sites for my catheters. I found over the last 8+ years I’ve over used my abdomen and now I’m exploring and trying sites on my upper arm. So far, to my surprise,it’s working well. I sit on a chair and place my tricep area against the back rest and insert it using the device.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Mark

Abut 85% of the time the readings are accurate. It isn’t as accurate when it drops low or goes high. For example, by the time it beeps at me that it is 80 (what I have set for lows), I am usually in the high 50s to the high 60s. But, it catches it for me. And often I am having no symptoms at all, so at least it is alerting me before I get so low I pass out.
You just have to be sure to do the training with the rep from mini med and follow their directions. Only calibrate 2 or 3 times per day and never when you are rapidly changing blood sugars (right after insulin, right after food, or when the sensor shows your are rapidly going up or down).
I guess I look at it this way: I am on the front end of a new technology. It will get better and more accurate with time. I don’t expect it to be perfect; I still test often. If you expect it to be perfect, you will hate the system. Because it isn’t perfect.
As far as finding places to put the sensor, I use my thighs for the sensor and my stomach for the infusion sites. This lets me rotate. I used to use my thighs for infusion sites and stopped because my insulin absorption rate wasn’t as good and my reading usually were higher.

You are a very kind person to respond to my question so promply and so well. Your advise will help. I am personal friends with the Mini Med rep who served on the local ADA chapter advisory board with me. She worked as an RN and Diabetes Educator at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle for 20 years before signing on with Mini Med. I will be sure to use her help if I can come up with the money for the sensor or get approval. I had 2 responses indicating they had gotten successfull approval from their insurance comp. for the devise.

Thank You and God Bless you with your diabetes treatment

I have Anthem Healthkeepers (bc/bs) and they cover me 100%.

If it would not be too inconvenient please send. I would greatly appreciate any help you could conveniently provide. This is the first info I have received indicating Aetna might accept an appeal.

God Bless You!

Mark

Wow, that’s great. Your one of the fortunate ones. Have you been happy with the results you’ve gotten from the sensor?

Take care and thankyou for the response.

Mark

I had blue cross/blue shield insurance at one time and they were the best plan. I’m happy for you and would hope along with you that they continue covering it. Have you been happy with the results you’ve received from the sensor?

Thank You!

Mark

I just said a prayer for you that they will cover it. Thank You!

Mark

I’ve actually just got the sensors in the mail and have an appointment for training tomorrow morning. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Mollie, sorry I neglected to get my email address to you sooner. It is mppederson@gmail.com. Since receiving your first msg. I’ve read comments from several 722 pump wearers who have warned me that the C.B.G.M. has not been accurate, but the trend has been a very valuable tool and they can always verify the reading with a meter check.

It appears that the Dec Com CBGM has a more accurate instrument. In time, Mini Med will dial in their accuracy and present the diabetes community with a true closed loop system.

I can’t thank you enough for your help. No hurry with the info your sending me, you’re a very busy and generous person.

Sincerely,

Mark
mppederson@gmail.com

Need Help.
I am starting on a mini Med 722 pump on the 27th of this month. I have have been having severe trouble with hypoglycemia unawareness issues. My insurance just turned down my request for the Continuous Glucose Monitoring system for the pump I am getting. Need advice on what i might use to get insurance company to approve my doctor’s request for the CGMS system.

Thank you

Tarra

Cara they told me not to order a lot of sensors in advance as they can be temperature sensitive. I would love to do that if that isn’t a problem as right now I have the money where I can afford to do that, as I pay out of pocket for mine. Have you found that to be true? I am also going to ask my pump trainer when I see her if that is true or not. I have trouble with my lows as well and I rather like having the sensors in at all times. So far I have had this one sensor in for 7 days and no problem with it.

I have Aetna and they have just denied me. What kind of information did you send them, beside low blood sugars.

Some of the major insurance companies have recently come on line with covering the CGMS systems. I recently upgraded to the Minimed 722 and was immediately offered the monitoring system with it through the vendor (Pumpsit out of Texas) authorized by my insurance.

My insurance, Blue Cross federal employee, an outfit typically not known for approving anything, recently passed a decision in January 2008 to cover the systems so long as a doctor prescribed it, they would cover it, no questions asked. I was also told by the vendor most companies have recently made it much easier to obtain the system, you just need a persistant endocrinologist (mine was willing to fight for it if they said no). All you need is for him to write a justification (specifically your hypoglycemic unawaremenss issues) and they should see the light on this. Nothing catches the attention of insurance companies more than the realization of preventable and expensive emergency room visits!!!

Good luck to you and don’t take no for an answer!!