Insurance frustrations

I am on their website a lot. New insurance co. since January. I have called them 4 times in the past month with questions. I don’t find their website easy to find what’s covered. Same with prescriptions. I always have to call them. I enter a bunch of names of short acting insulins and all of them come up as needing prior authorization or they are not covered. It’s a crazy guessing game. I get on the phone with them and the people answering the phones aren’t any better.

UGH, I change jobs every 13 weeks and don’t have the ability to schedule that far in advance. Right now, I don’t have any kind of schedule beyond 7/6/19. I will get a 4 week schedule about 6/30/19. Scheduling anything is difficult.

If your blood sugar is constantly above 200 and no doctor will prescribe you insulin you might want to consider going to Walmart and buying Regular (I believe it’s called Novolin R, $25/vial, good for 30 days once opened) to use in tandem with your Levemir. Only do this if you feel comfortable adjusting your own doses, and obviously err on the side of caution and start at very low doses

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. With many more T2s using insulin these days, I would think they would make the effort to learn how to manage and prescribe !!

I have done that in the past…like when on vacation. It’s the Relion Regular insulin at Walmart. I have been trying not to self medicate. Yesterday the PMD prescribed Jardiance. IDK how I feel about that at $90 for a 30 day supply. And the side effects tho…

The crazy thing is that I use SSI at work for my patients all the time. It is something I am comfortable with. I wonder if part of the reason I cannot get under control is the infection I have had for the past 3 years. MDs do not want to treat it due to fact that they will never be able to clear it up and will only create resistant bacteria.

3 years ?!?!?!?!

Insulin doesn’t require a prescription in many countries so I wouldn’t be too nervous about using it without a “doctor” prescribing it. All of the learning, studying, and research I’ve done comes from the internet. All the studies ranging from diets, exercise, medicine, trials, etc., are all posted online. I only need a doctor for prescriptions unfortunately. My doctors look at me stunned when I question them and provide rebuttals with facts and evidence. I’ve had doctors tell me Lantus is supposed to “chip away” at your blood sugar. I feel bad for folks before the internet who had to blindly follow and believe the word of “doctors”. Luckily today we can do our own extensive research and cross reference anything a doctor claims against data online

Also if you’ve had an infection for 3 years that sounds like an emergency, although we don’t know the specifics. Really hoping you get the medical attention you need sooner rather than later

1 Like

It is not a medical emergency. I have a UTI that cannot be permanently cleared because the bacteria live on the kidney stones I have. Several surgeries later and I still cannot get rid of all the stones. I am a natural producer. You only need to miss 1 bacteria to repopulate an infection. I already have drug resistant bacteria and MDs do not want to keep treating this until I have no antibiotics to fight this. I have to wonder if this affects my blood sugar.

It very well may be affecting your blood sugar. Not to be too aggressive, but maybe a more aggressive antibiotic therapy may help, such as IV antibiotics. Something to perhaps look into

1 Like

@SusanS @anon7061735 and all … As with any antibiotics, when you’re taking them, especially long term, be sure to take probiotics at the same time. There are pills or better yet, get it from a food source … or both, pills and food.