Is a bleeding CGM sensor ok?

I just inserted a Dexcom G4 Platinum sensor and the needle was painful to put in. When I withdrew the insertion device I noticed the sensor area was filling with blood. Is this ok? This hasn't happened before.(I've had a tiny amount of blood but not like this) Should I worry about the accuracy of the readings? Is it likely to get infected?

I know that Medtronic's accuracy can be affected by too much blood, not that it is very accurate in the first place. I would call the company, describe the situation, and go with their recommendation. Medtronic has sent me free replacements in this situation. Perhaps Dexcom will as well.

I would change out the sensor. I recently inserted a sensor on my side just above my hip. I couldn't see it well. Like you, when I inserted the sensor, it was more painful than usual. After four days of erratic readings, I finally gave up on the sensor and removed it. I then noticed the blood stain on the sensor adhesive bandage. You indicate that there's a fair amount of blood. This would push me into replacing the sensor without question. Blood will foul the sensor chemistry.

I'm thinking that each sensor that draws blood is its own special case, but it's my policy that any bleeding will lead me to replacing it. Some bleeders may work OK but confidence in the data is more important to me than the inconvenience of placing another sensor.

Cost may play a role in your analysis. I have good insurance coverage and often get two weeks out of each sensor. So if I lose one early every once in a while I still figure the average works in my favor.

don't use it if it's bleeding at site, it's not supposed to bleed. I've had this happen a number of times and Dexcom will replace them.

I had that happen with my Medtronic one. My instinct was to yank it right out, but they aren't cheap! I just took a deep breath and applied pressure to stop the bleeding, and it worked fine.

I had the same thing happen last week. It really gushed when I inserted. I figured it wouldn’t work but amazing enough it still worked. 7 days and still reading. In the next hour I will restart and probably get another 3 days.

CGM's use Interstitial fluid (hence the term ISIG) not blood, so blood will definitely impact the accuracy. Should change it out and try a different site. You likely accidentally hit a small blood vessel. :)

I check and, if the sensor works, I'll work around the blood, unless it's a ***GUSHER***

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition..." Henry V