Is it diabetes or a food allergy/intolerance?

5-10 minutes after eating wheat toast in the morning the palms of my hands get slightly red and thick and I get itchy sensations on my scalp, side of my upper arms, side of my lower arms, knee caps, around my eyes and forehead area, back, the top of my feet, private area, …; chapped lips or as if I’ve sucked on a mint/lemon; eyes get dry or it feels like I have sand in my eyes; …

I just want to lay in bed and sink into my mind when this happens during the day because I feel so irritated. But I don’t nap because if I take a nap I wake up feeling like death from the sleep inertia, so I just sit upright in my bed and sink into my mind like a type of depression. Then sometimes when laying for too long like this I get this nasty inner feeling that’s hard to explain. It’s partly the sleep inertia but also this sickly feeling or heartburn feeling. I also get up to go to the bathroom a lot if I drank coffee that morning, but it’s mostly small drips as if I spaced out 1 regular pee sessions with like 5 very small pee sessions. I don’t feel thirsty, but I just drink water out of habit to wet my lips.

When I sometimes eat in the evening before going to bed I now wake up with skin indentations on my arms and even face from my bed’s sheets. Mast cell activation?

This happens when I even eat a handful of peanuts or even eggs. But with those I also develop a slight sore throat. The worse reaction I ever had is when I tried eating kale or when I took a methylfolate supplement. I woke up in the morning in a state of panic and it felt like my lips or tongue were becoming swollen or as if I had ants under my skin. I had so many skin indentations on my arms, face, and chest from my bed sheets and my airways and nose felt like I was breathing fire during the night . I just took a Benadryl pill and walked around my room until I grounded myself mentally. My eyes were also very red and dry that morning.

I always feel too like a jump rope or jogging session and/or a cold shower is the solution.

edit- I jogged for 30 minutes and did 7 minutes of jump rope and took a cold shower and feel better, but the itchiness is still there. The palms of my hands still feel thick.

Sounds like you need a physical where they will run a bunch of tests on your blood, urine, etc. and then armed with some solid data and feedback from the doctor you can go from there. Otherwise you could just be playing a very lengthy game of possibilities where you may or may not ever figure out your issue(s)

2 Likes

It definitely sounds like you need to describe your symptoms to a doctor.

True food allergies are serious and what may be a mild reaction one day can become a life-threatening reaction the next. So if a food is consistently causing symptoms like itching and swelling shortly after eating it, I’d avoid that food until you can discuss things with a doctor.

3 Likes

get W/u to parse apart the details. It might be that a Rheumi is appropriate over Internal Med. You still need an endo and get allergy testing including for food. It’s generally a waste of time but it might not be in limited cases.

DM is not a food allergy but is an autoimmune disease. A lot of things can be going on in your case. Curious about your ANA comp panel and pattern. That means anticentromere B antibodies; anti-dsDNA; antichromatin antibodies; anti-Jo-1; RNP antibodies; antiscleroderma 70 antibodies; Smith antibodies; Sjögren anti-SS-A; Sjögren anti-SS-B. I assure you that all out of the scope of the internal med guy, not of much interest to the endo, and fully within the eval from the rheumi. That plus a CMP and CBC/Diff and you’ll get far combined with physical exam and Hx.

It’s impossible to predict or diagnose here.

Welcome to TUD, @stonestatue!

Like other members are saying you can’t look to a site like this for a real diagnosis. FWIW I don’t think any of the symptoms you list are suggestive of diabetes, but it’s certainly possible there is some other metabolic issue going on. Only way to find out is to see your doctor.

2 Likes

Sounds in many respects like it could be mast cell activation disorder, but you really need to see a doctor to evaluate it and also to consider whether it could be a food allergy with potential for anaphylaxis like @Jen is talking about. If it’s going to be a while before you can get in to an allergist though, you might try eating low histamine to see if that helps (which would eliminate gluten, aged foods of all kinds (e.g., aged/cured meats, aged cheese, vinegar, pickled anything), peanuts and nuts, tomatoes, avocados, strawberries, citrus, many (but not all) spices, and other foods. It sucks, but can make a huge difference. I’ve found through trial and error that I can tolerate some histamine containing/inducing foods better than others though, especially once I dramatically reduced my overall amount and did a very strict restriction diet for about a month. I also take a couple of types of antihistamines regularly.

For whatever it’s worth, I saw rheumatologists many times and had all that testing done with nothing but a positive ANA (which means nothing on its own) and no help whatsoever. In my experience, rheumatologists won’t know what to do with mast cell activation disorder if it is that; you’ll want an allergist, ideally one who knows that particular issue, if it is.

1 Like

Type. 1 is an autoimmune disease ,type 2 is not. Just to clarify. I would start with your. Family physician be it GP, internal medicine physician or other. They have the power for history and referrals. IMO. Nancy50

2 Likes

It was just a simple physical that came back saying I need to watch my cholesterol and was slightly prediabetic like always.

It’s thanksgiving and I compare myself to one of my parents who does have diagnosed type 2 diabetes and they seem alert and energetic all the time. Right now I feel malice, irritated, it feels like my body is polluted, I just want to lay in bed but not nap because if I nap and then wake up I feel worse, I can’t concentrate my eyes on things like a computer monitor because I notice the eye floaters a lot right now (I got my eyes checked before and it’s not from blood particles, just vitreous opacities formes from the jelly itself) and because they are dry, my mouth feels thick and sore but not dry (I don’t know if it’s a metallic taste or not), … I’m not hungry or thirsty. The only reason I drink water is to wet my lips. I’m not going to the restroom a lot. My limbs are not tingling. I would go exercise for awhile but then I have to endure 15-20 minutes of itchy skin on my scalp and all over my body before I can get into the workout zone. I just feel stuck, depressed, I feel like I will never thrive again and get ready eyes, sometimes very angry. I’ve read once that people with schizophrenia sometimes get this psychotic symptom where they think ants are crawling under their skin, I think I have something similar but instead of ants it’s disgust or hypersensitivity to my body, every fatty area and hair, itchy. I just want to forget it all these sensations on my body so I have mental clarity. This slight stupor headache too in my forehead area. It feels slightly on fire or cold, idk. What if I have rare allergies to things like water, air, temperature change, etc? My mouth too feels inflamed by food intolerances from the only meal I had today: turkey stuffing with cranberry sauce, corn, string beans, honey baked ham, and one hawaiian roll. I avoided the mash potatoes. The parent with diagnosed type 2 diabetes had the same thing with mash potatoes and they seem normal compared to me.

I got one of those AncestryDNA tests as a gift in the past and discovered I have this thing called homozygous MTHFR C677T. Could this be it? One parent got the same gift and they are only heterozygous MTHFR, so the other parent is also likely heterozygous MTHFR.

It feels like this feeling will go away after I digest all this and expel it. I sometimes do the 20:4 water fast and I feel fine, no debilitating low blood sugar level symptoms. Then it immediately starts up again sometimes after eating the second time that same day

Having the MTHFR is pretty common. In some ethic groups it is as much as 50%. Not much is known about MTHFR and how it impacts health. Read this from Kaiser about it. I personally would not worry about it.

Hope you feel better soon!

Have you been able to get in to see an allergist? They will be able to evaluate whether you have allergies of any kind, including rare allergies. I had a severe allergy to cool/cold temperatures for about 15 years when I was younger, am being evaluated for mast cell activation disorder, and have rare life-threatening food allergies, and other rare types of allergy issues, so all those things are possible. But no one can diagnose you online; you really need to follow up with an allergist to evaluate all of this.

2 Likes

A lot of those rare reactivities may not be allergies per se, but histamine reactivity syndromes like mast cell activation syndrome. I have that, and it definitely makes me reactive to a whole range of foods, and it’s not entirely consistent. Starting with an allergist is a good idea, although it’s hard to do definitive testing for that.

That said, if you aren’t testing your blood sugar, it could be just that you’re having high blood sugars and that’s making you feel bad and causing a wide range of symptoms. You could get a cheap glucometer and start testing before and after meals. Just because one T2 diabetic can eat a certain meal and feel fine doesn’t mean another can, especially if one is on meds or some such to help manage blood sugars. Even if not, everyone’s body is different.

1 Like

Your body is already experiencing this complex discomfort. Don’t take it lightly. You should take these pathological conditions seriously. I highly recommend that you go to the hospital for a comprehensive examination, including blood, urine, etc. Only by obtaining accurate data can you be prepared to judge your body.
I wish you a speedy recovery .

I am type1 but I also have eczema, another autoimmune disease. I also have a couple of severe allergies, which are not autoimmune, but suggest a failure of immune system to differentiate between threatening and non threatening proteins. I never had any allergies or any illness for that matter before type 1.
Ive accepted that I just have an over active immune system and
I do my best to deal with it. I have an allergy to fish but especially shell fish. I carry Benadryl with me in case I have a severe reaction, it buys me time.
I used to Cary Epi pens but they expire so fast. I’ve only had one accidental reaction in 10 years.

So find out what is causing your issues and then make some changes to diet. There are so many things it could be, no one here will be able to tell you. An allergist is your best bet.

1 Like