Itching all over

In the last week or two I've been getting itchy various places around my body -- backs of hands, wrists, shins, tops of feet, lower back/waist, etc. In none of these places is there any sign of rash, inflammation, blemishes, raised bumps -- nothing.

The problem is mild, I can scratch a bit and then ignore it. A few times, like on the top of my right foot, it was so bad and persistent that I rubbed it raw with the toes from my other foot.

Got some hydrocortizone yesterday, and am trying that for some relief. I also will be seeing my doctor this week. That said, I was wondering if anyone has any experience like this, is there anything D related that anyone knows of, etc.

I recall going through this once or twice before and it resolved on its own. I have this nag in the back of my mind that it was when the seasons changed and temp and humidity along with it, but I don't have a strong recollection, so I'm not willing to write it off to that, yet.

I used to get symptoms like that when I started running again after taking a break for a period of time. Seasonal and temperature change would be consistent with that.

This was way before my diagnosis.

Sounds like extremely dry skin, which can be a problem for us diabetics, and it usually does flare up right when the cold air hits and we start using the heat. I use a moisturizing body wash year-round and supplement with body cream after showering...put it on while your body is still damp. Usually gets rid of the problem in a few days.

Ruth

all of the above.

I recently used Aveeno oatmeal bath that was very soothing and the Aveeno cream with oatmeal works well.

I went to the dermatologist recently and got an RX that is working well.

Best OTC to stop the itching Cortizone 10

Thanks, Ruth. My skin is pretty dry -- the areas that I scratch most insistently are a little flaky after scratching too much.

I'll give a moisturizer a try and see what happens.

Dry, flaky skin is actually a sign of excessive oil secretion.

I have a number of spots that come and go, but a few years ago I found a good solution that works most of the time - Aveeno oatmeal soap (liquid) WITHOUT fragrance. Target and Rite Aid make generic versions. I shave with either Aveeno fragrance free gel, or Nivea frangrance free gel (they last forever!). When the spot on my back gets really dry and itchy, I wash it with T-Gel dandruff shampoo (or generic equivalent) for a few days.

I also am pretty generous with the use of hydrocortisone cream (with aloe).

I have found most moisturizers to be a waste of time, effort and money, but YDMV!

Happens to me sometimes when I go to work (for weeks at a time) and they’ve switched soap brands

(Cetaphil (not the antibacterial) and dove unscented are also highly recommended soaps).

This sounds very much like what I went through at the beginning of a very bad bout of eczema. If I can make it work, here is a link to a recent blog I wrote on the subject. I am still working on a couple bad spots on my hands. It's a long haul and takes constant vigilance---but since you have diabetes, you know what that means, so you can do it!...Blessings.....

http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/thin-skinned-diabetics-literally-diabetes-and-eczema

Thanks, Judith!

Well, gave myself a good coating all over this morning after showering with lotion. Not something I do usually, being a tough guy and all (yeah, I'm one of those, hard to get me to the doctor, laugh off cuts, scrapes, bruises, broken bones).

We'll see how it goes. So far, problem seems to be attenuated...

Please consider having your kidney function checked. Blessings.

How old are you, like high-school or college age? There is something called "cold uticaria" that especially seems to happen at that age in colder weather and may be autoimmune related. I had it when I was like 20 or 21 and it hasn't happened since. Antihistamines helped keep me sane and from scratching all my own skin off!

Cold uticaria usually has red bumps or welts but not always.

There's also dry-skin from dry-air from artificial heat this time of year. Me and my kids have that too. My doc recommended Eucerin lotion and it seems to do well for all of us.

Hands and feet can get itchy over time if you have developed neuropathy, but since you're experiencing it all over, I would think it's something like an allergy or other irritant such as a soap or cleanser. Have you switched to anything new? I'm in AZ and we are really dry and cooling down at this time of year, so the "itchy factor" is rising. Hope you find some relief!

I've found Aveeno Eczema cream very helpful (even though I don't have eczema), this was suggested by my doctor. Either that or other creams recommended by the Canadian Eczema Society.

I wish! I'm 52...

Despite my remark about being a poor patient, that's been a thing of the past for the last 1 1/2 years. I found diabetes religion and am my endo's favorite patient.

Kidneys are "ok" -- a little protein leakage, but nothing serious at this point.