Is there a Cancer-Causing Ingredient in Metformin? FDA Investigates

SOURCE: DiaTribe

By Eliza Skoler

The FDA is looking into whether metformin may contain small amounts of a cancer-causing chemical called NDMA. Stay updated here

The FDA is currently investigating whether metformin contains a carcinogenic (cancer-causing) chemical called N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). Although they are in the midst of this investigation, the FDA also recommended that people continue to take metformin in a recent statement from top leader, Dr. Janet Woodcock:

“Patients should continue taking metformin to keep their diabetes under control. It could be dangerous for patients with this serious condition to stop taking their metformin without first talking to their health care professional.

I freaked out when I saw this. I have been taking this for 27 years. I have precancerous colon polyp. They could not remove it all. I go back for a check in February. I see my PCP in 2 days. I will consult her, then CDE. I also do not trust our pharmaceutical industry. Nancy50

1 Like

Much controversy on whether metformin prevents vs causes cancer.

Metformin is the third drug that I know of that has been noted to possibly have carcinogenic ingredients, along with losartan and ranitidine. What I do not know in the case of metformin, is, if it is just certain batches from certain manufacturers or if the ingredient in question is in any and all samples of metformin. It’s horrible, yes, but it’s good this is finally coming out. There’s been a lot in the news about it, and we need to keep it there. The FDA has dropped the ball big time on monitoring, leaving it up to the manufacturers themselves to self report. Lots more to say on this topic, but metformin is a big one, and there is also lots more to learn.

Its a trace contaminant from manufacturing? Same as the Zantac recalls? Comes from the Chinese manufacturing? They aren’t cleaning that stuff out? Uh oh. Here we go again.

This is a huge concern of mine and it should be yours. I have to verify every single drug (including OTC) as to whether it is gluten free or not. While the FDA oversees food, they do not for drugs. Now, I worry about the efficacy of drugs. Even if the drug is made in the USA, the ingredients are sourced from places like China.

I take metformin and losartan! What does that mean for my risks and what if I also had to take Zantac???

I don’t trust this either. It’s very disturbing. I wish our government would fix this mess!! But, nobody does!!!