Is there a link with maternal diabetes and dyspraxia/adhd/sensory issues in child

Does anyone know if there is a link between such issues and maternal diabetes. Im not looking to go down the road of self blame and guilt cos I know I tried damn hard to manage diabetes and pregnancy and had good hba1c before conception and during pregnancy but can’t help but wonder since my son’s diagnosis with dyspraxia and sensory issues if there’s a connection. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

If you have TD1, consider researching gluten ataxia. About 10% of TD1’s will develop celiac disease (which is scientifically know to be genetic). Gluten ataxia is relatively “new” and there has not been much research in the past 10 years. It is a long shot, but worth investigating.

I wish you well.

My oldest child, now 7, has social (pragmatic) communication disorder, sensory processing disorder, ADHD combined type, and celiac disease. My youngest is neurotypical. I came across this piece this week: Autoimmune Disease Linked to ADHD. I don’t know that anything can be claimed definitively, but the correlations are worth exploring.

1 Like

Thanks @Melissa_Lee, it’s interesting isn’t it, I never gave thought to a possible genetic link between diabetes and these kind of issues, I just assumed if there was a link it would be causal soley due to a comprised prenatal environment. I had never heard of social communication disorder before, we seem to be really fine tuning how we diagnose children who are neuro atypical which is great especially if the support is available to go with it. My little boy is getting lots of extra help at school thanks to his diagnosis and this has really helped me to see the power of the label.