Is there a symbol of diabetes?

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine over symbolism when it comes to presenting an idea of something to people. Examples: The New York Apple, Livestrong’s Yellow Wrist Bands, Yellow/Red/Pink Ribbons for various causes, etc.

Is there a single symbol that comes to mind when you think of Diabetes? Could there be? At the moment we have a grey ribbon with a blood drop on it but its a little… lackluster…

Is there anything else you can think of that could represent all those with diabetes?
7174-diabetes.jpg (6.12 KB)

The World Diabetes Day symbol is a blue circle. I really like that. Best symbol I’ve seen for diabetes!

What exactly does the blue circle stand for in relation to D? Seeing a blue circle does not bring D to mind for me…

The blue circle is the universal symbol for diabetes. The purpose of the diabetes symbol is to give diabetes a common identity.

The icon was originally developed in 2006 for the campaign for a United Nations Resolution on diabetes. The campaign was a response to the diabetes pandemic that is set to overwhelm healthcare resources everywhere. It mobilised diabetes stakeholders behind the common cause of securing a United Nations Resolution on diabetes. The United Nations passed Resolution 61/255 ‘World Diabetes Day’ on December 20 2006.

Until 2006, there was no global symbol for diabetes. The blue circle aims to:

• Support all existing efforts to raise awareness about diabetes
  • Inspire new activities, and bring diabetes to the attention of the general public
  • Brand diabetes
  • Provide a means to show support for the fight against diabetes

as taken from this webpage : World Diabetes Day

Still not clear on why blue…the encompassing circle…eh, maybe. Years ago a grandmother of a friend of mine( before portable meters) used ketone strips several times a week to check herself. Mrs Adams was always happy when the strip was blue…I am so happy to be blue is what she would say. Striving to be blue makes more sense to me as to why blue and is definitely a connection to D!

I think I had seen the blue circle somewhere but it had not really registered what exactly it was. That’s really cool though, I like it!