Is this something to get excited over?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/10/new-diabetes-breakthrough-bigger-than-discovery-insulin/?intcmp=obnetwork

I ve found this article today – just wondering if this is something to get excited over (yet?) Or just another "red herring" which will eventually evaporate into nothing like so many other media hyped "discoveries" that promised us a cure within the next few years? Any input and opinions would be appreciated.

Yes, it is something to get marginally excited over, as it is the first time a method for making beta cells in bulk has been found. However, lots of trials to come yet and of course the underlying cause of beta cell destruction is not addressed by this breakthrough.

What I am more excited about are the Phase I/II trials for encapsulated beta cells attached just under the skin in a device the size of a bandage. ViaCyte trial

I agree with Mike. It's encouraging. There's been a lot in the news about this. This doesn't address the continuing autoimmune attack, however, but encapsulation could provide a realistic solution to this.

I say wait and see. Some years ago there wsa experimentation with turning some liver cells into insulin producing cells that had shown results in animal trials, and I believe in some human trials, but I haven't heard anything about it since. They were using some kind of gene manipulation.

In nay case, there's a long gap between animal trials and market release of any new medical product. I wouldn't look for anything soon. I hope something like this will benefit the next generation, but I was told in 1969 that a genetic cure for diabetes was only about 10 years away. It's been a long decade.

Hopeful but time will tell!

I feel like they have been talking about doing this for, like, ten years. Took them longer than I imagined that it would. But, its hopeful. I would hope they can do this in 5 to 10 years, but I might have said that 5 to 10 years ago, already.