Just dx with T2

Yesterday I got the news. I was prediabetic for the past two years, last fasting BG was 106, and then after some rather serious holiday binging, my A1C went to 6.9 from 5.7 and fasting BG was 140. I was shocked it leapt so high. I put on 15-17 pounds over the holidays and reached 294 lbs. I was on Trilipix for triglycerides and the prescription ran out (was on it about 2 years) so after the meds ran out, I noticed I was no longer hungry after meals and cravings stopped. I knew I needed to lose 80-100 pounds and figured maybe the Triplix was the cause of the cravings. I have no excessive thirst, no extra trips to urinate (except I drank a ton of diet coke), and no weight loss. So with these new levels, the nurse practitioner said I was now a diabetic. I haven't touched much in the way of food since the news. I walked a mile and a quarter yesterday and resolved to do that every day and add to it. No more fast foods, and no more sweets. I was prescribed Metformin 500mg once daily, but will try first diet and exercise for a month and see what happens. Right now I am a mix of angry at myself, scared about the future, and depressed this happened. At the same time, my wife just had to get a biopsy done on her breast and I am stressing over that too. I know I need a support system and am hoping this is the place. They did a glucose meter test on me yesterday two hours after eating and it was 136. I must say I don't look forward to sticking myself. Any info any of you have would be appreciated. If nothing else, this is a jolt to get me to lose the extra tonnage.

Losing your recent weight gain might do a lot to return you to a pre diabetic condition. Unfortunately your increased insulin resistance makes it difficult to lose weight. Walking can help a lot vis a vis insulin resistance. You will have to change your lifestyle but controlling your T2 is an entirely doable project.

The term pre diabetes is a dangerous one in that it can lead people and even doctors to not take it seriously. It should be thought of as early stage diabetes and be taken seriously.

Diabetes is a do it your self disease so educating yourself is a good thing. The bloodsugar101 website helped me understand what was going on with my body and formulate a plan of action when I was first diagnosed.

Thanks for the followup. Yes, I am still not dealing well emotionally with it all. I started walking 1-2 miles a day yesterday and intend to keep it up. Also reduced caloric-intake as well. A friend of mine upped his daily walks to 5 miles, lost 50 pounds over about six months and went from a 6.8 A1C to a 5.8 with fasting bg of 89. That is where I want to be. I am possibly also a candidate for bariatric surgery and am considering this option also.

A T2 diagnosis is a lot to deal with, just take it one day at a time, you can't fix it all in one day. It hit me like a ton of bricks, but like you I used it as motivation to do what I needed to do. Having a friend who has successfully dealt with T2 is a good thing. This website is a great resource, spend some time reading old posts.

Bump

I have lost ten pounds so far on caloric restriction and daily walks. One thing I am concerned about is my diagnostic bloodwork was never repeated. Should it have been? I am asymptomatic.

What are the results of your blood glucose testing? In your original post you mentioned 130 2 hrs after eating. My personal goal is to stay below 140 so I would have been pleased with that result. a1C is a three month average so I would wait to test till 3 months have passed.

I have to pick up my monitor today or tomorrow and start checking it. Plus the doc signed me up for some diabetes classes and I need to call on those too. My next set of tests are in early May.

When you get your meter you can test before and after eating to see your reaction to various foods From there you can reduce or eliminate those foods causing you problems.

Tuxedo - I am pulling for you. When I was first diagnosed, I used to run up stairs to burn off glucose. I would “click” and get a reading of how high I was. Then I would climb ten floors (if I were in a hotel) and that would rid me of 70 - 90 numbers of glucose. If I were at home, sprinting vigorously to the corner and back burned off 70 numbers.

It is fun to look back. Ten years later, I have a broken foot and I am out of shape because I stopped running. This group is a great place to connect with other people in your same situation.

This book was one of the best things I ever read:

First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (The Complete First Year) [Gretchen Becker, Allison B. Goldfine]

It explains so much. You should see a dietitian , slowly build up some exercise ,ask you CDE. Good luck,things do get better. You get into a routine. I have had this 23 years,no complications. I learned early,attended classes,exercise,and count my carbs. Life is good. Nancy