Just started on 670G: Dueling CGM Throwdown!

The unofficial (e.g. not supported by Medtronic) procedures for restarting a Medtronic sensor, Enlite (630G pump and before) or Guardian 3 (670G), is the same. Disconnect transmitter from sensor, recharge transmitter, reconnect to sensor, start sensor, calibrate when pump prompts you (within 2 hours or less on the 670G, 2 hours on 630G).

Some people on the Facebook forums have mentioned that you can carefully disconnect the transmitter from the sensor without removing the tape or retaping it. But I have not tried that method yet so can’t comment on it. I just restarted a Guardian 3 sensor for my 670G today following the method described in the 1st paragraph. Before I disconnected/recharged the transmitter it still had 53% battery life left on it (after almost 7 days of usage).

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Yup, that’s how it was described to me. I’ll probably go by-the-book for this first one, since they’ve asked me to swap in a new one day before my next training session.

Medtronic is doing “an Abbott”, when they launched the Libre in Europe. Limited supplies and HUGE demand. I mean, what did they expect?! We make 1000 cars per day but only wheels for 100 of them… Jeez… And these are two of the biggest medtech companies on the planet.

2 Likes

Good idea to go by the book when you first get started. I did!

1 Like

I’m expecting a lot of adjustments to get it dialed in, so the fewer variables the better.

Well, Medtronic favors Europe now they are an Irish company, and not American…

Steve, I’ve had two Medtronic pumps, an Animas and my favorite, the Cozmo from Smith Medical that scared Medtronic so much, they sued them out of the USA. (Yet another reason why I HATE Medtronic!)

Could NOT live with the Animas. Used it a few months, went back to my Cozmo. I couldn’t hear (nor could my wife) the Medtronic alarms, so I had to get rid of my last (second one).

I’m working with Tandem on their UX to make it easier. It’s nowhere near as bad as the awful Animas, but I can feel a lawyer’s touch on it and we need to get rid of that.

So 18 years of pumping, and only Smith Medical’s Cozmo was a joy from Day 1 to Last Day.

Kevin23…not sure how to respond to your reply. I can only say is “to each his/her own”. Overall I’ve been happy with Medtronic since 1985 when I first went on pump therapy. Not that I’ve been happy with everything MDT wise but you can say that about every company!

Good luck whatever you do…

Steve, Note that I said it was the alarm issue for me that made me change mfrs again. That was my only main issue with their pumps.

I am very angry with Medtronic due to their business practices which included chasing Smith Medical’s Insulin pump business out of the USA, followed by last year’s decision to move their HQ to Ireland to get out of paying US Taxes. I can’t support a predatory company that turns its back on Americans.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go that far since 670G is not expected here in Europe for another 2 years.

Thank you for this info. I’ve heard that the Minimed sensor has gotten more accurate but wasn’t sure if that was just the company saying so. Good to hear from someone actually using it and comparing to the Dexcom which I’ve used for many years and found so much more accurate than the Minimed when I switched.

Hi Steve,
I’m in auto mode on 670G and would like to join your group. What do I need to do?

Sue

If your HgA1c is in the low 5s, will you be happy with the 670Gs target BG of 120? That should raise your A1c significantly. My A1c runs 5.8 to 6.2 and my endo says the 670G will raise it and I won’t be happy until a later generation with a lower or adjustable target. Right now I have the 530G with Enlite sensor and I’m very happy with the accuracy.

Hi Sue,

The 2 670G groups you can join are on Facebook:

1. Medtronic 670G Support Group
  2. Medtronic 670g Users

Regards,
Steve

The Medtronic 670G Users group is more hardcore and structured, which is useful, although it also shows the limitations of FB as a medium for extended discussions of technical subjects. Restricted membership but you qualify. Lots of info there about how to get things tweaked to really live up to the promises.

Where do you get the proper docs to build a system

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been using medtronic pumps since the 506 came out in 1992 or 93 so I’m familiar with pumps in general. This auto mode is quite different. I sent a 670 back for a replacement because I felt something was wrong with it as I had lots of lows and the pump was still giving me microboluses when I was in the 60’s/70’s. The new pump seems to work better but there are some issues I was hoping to check against others’ experiences. Unfortunately I don’t do facebook, so I guess I’m out of luck.

Thanks again for your prompt reply,

Sue

Have a great day! :innocent:

Hi Steve,

I replied to DrBB thinking it was from you. I’ve had medtronic pumps since 1992-93 with the 506 so I’m very familiar with regular pumps. I was hoping to get some tips on some issues I’m dealing with in auto mode with the 670, but I don’t do Facebook. Thanks for your reply. If I change my mind about Facebook I will definitely join.

Regards,

Sue

Have a great day! :innocent:

I haven’t done Loop, though I have got XDrip running under IOS, which is a similar proposition as regards being one of those GitHub, DIY, open-source things. Figuring out the right place to pick up the thread is involves some searching around–not just a matter of downloading something from the AppStore. But if you’re reasonably tech-comfortable it’s not too hard. Being comfortable cut-and-pasting commands to a command line doesn’t hurt. There are a lot of starting places, but here’s one:
https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/build/installing/

Seems to be very IOS-specific; running it in Android via xDrip seems more involved but possible.

1 Like

My Animas pump is near the end of it’s warranty and my doctor has suggested that I consider the Medtronic 670. I am hesitant because I really like the Dexcom. Are you saying that the 670 will have a set target of 120 and can’t be set lower? When I first got my Animas pump. my endo set the target at100. I certainly don’t want a target of 120.

Recently for three weeks, I used a loaner Medtronic 530 to see if I liked it. I also used my Dexcom along with the Enlite, which kept going low The whole system drove me nuts. Also, I remember you from the other forum.

Suzan