Keto diet versus Vegan diet

I am a TYPE 2 DIABETIC… So I would like my answers to more focused on the Type 2 perspective.

I have been doing strict veganism for a year and few months. I am looking at doing the KETO diet because my new boyfriend is practicing it and does extreme low carbs. I am concerned because I am on insulin and trulicity about doing low carbs. Any thoughts.

1 Like

I don’t have Type 2 diabetes, but what Type 2 specific questions do you have? What are your concerns with a very low-carb diet?

@Christalyn Pay attention to your bg numbers and reduce your insulin as you move forward. My husband, a type 2, reduced I believe 80% of his insulin needs going keto. Test often. You may want to lower your insulin (I don’t know anything about trulicity) in anticipation of needing less, opting to stay a little high, rather than going too low, while you’re in your initial phase of reducing carbs and perhaps losing some weight, which will also reduce how much insulin your body will need. My husband did extremely well. I tried to get him to use a CGM, but he was opposed. If you’re open to it, a CGM will help you a lot.

2 Likes

I am worried about dropping low. I don’t feeling the lows as I used too.

Approach the keto diet slowly and test often. Always have fast acting carbs nearby; it defeats the purpose of going keto, but it will help you ease into it with less anxiety.

Are you on basal/bolus therapy or just on basal? What kind of basal insulin are you using? My husband is using lantus. When did you begin trulicity? Is it (trulicity) something you can adjust as you go? Is it (trulicity) something you can easily set aside and not use?

We would adjust his lantus gradually depending on his bg before bed and in the morning; he splits his dose of lantus. We’d usually drop no more than two units at a time and wait at least three days before we would make any further changes (we were prepared to make adjustments up or down if needed though, during that three days). It worked well for him. I hope the same can be said for you too.

1 Like

I am a T2 who has done very low Carb (6 years) and started the Ketosis diet.
Three big buts.
But #1 I do produce a lot of my own insulin, just don.t use it well. I do not use insulin or any medication to control my T2 (A1c 5.6). I cannot speak to doing the diet while adding insulin. I agree it should be watched closely.
But. # 2 What is your goal with Ketosis? Other than sharing an experience with your boy friend. Which can be a questionable motive. I have seen super intense athletes. shoot for crazy high ketone numbers, Which I dont believe is good for anyone.
But #3. What is your carb intake range and A1c now? I found that when I was eating low carb (30 to 50 carbs a Day) I was already in the nutritional Ketosis range. .5 to 2.5
If you can borrow a meter and test to get an idea where you are. (they vary through out the day)

I don’t follow any Keto diet program, I found it very restrictive, and since I was already tightly controlling my diet and in “nutritional Ketosis”. I have just continued on with what I was doing.

Dr. Mowll has a good posting for introduction to Keto. He is a diabetic “expert” (i am not recommending him)
I have actually talked with him a couple of times and considered joining (and paying for) the program. Then I realized I know more about me and what I need than he does. So I would leave it at he seems to have an informative post.

Important point nutritional Ketosis is not the same or related to Ketoacidosis The latter is quite dangerous

1 Like

I actually find that my numbers are lower when I eat less meat along with fewer carbs. Soups are usually fantastic and so are salads for me. Personally, I could do a vegetarian before I could do keto… I like carbs and would at least have to eat some beans. Also, if I don’t eat any carbs for a few days I start craving, cave and eat way too many carbs…Ugh…

This is tough to resist! The body does have a mind of its own and often likes to continue the status-quo, even if it’s not what you want. Consider what happens to people who employ calorie reduction to lose weight and the body gets stubborn and resists letting go of excess weight.

If you can get past the first week or two of carb limits, your appetite for carbs will diminish greatly.

Thanks for the reply. I am doing much better with the carbs, thanks!!! I just fine that when I try to go to zero carbs that I end up going nuts after a few days.

I think you can get on a roller coaster with “sugar” and I try not to do that. Exercise is so critical for me and since I have RA, swimming is best for me.

Have a great weekend!

I’ve never attempted to reduce carbs to zero. I eat about 30 grams of carbs per day and enjoy the nutrition I get from carbs, particularly veggies. I eat no grains or added sugars, however.

Your exercise routine sounds very therapeutic. Enjoy your weekend as well.

1 Like

I have been a member of Mastering Diabetes for 2 1/2 yrs. It is a way of eating which is vegan and low fat. Many type 2’s there have been able to stop taking any meds for type 2 as long as they eat green and low fat.

I have been a vegan for over 30 years now. I don’t do low carbs, but recently when I hurt my back I was not hungry and ended up cutting way back on calories fairly suddenly. My basal insulin needs though dropped a lot, I had to check my BG constantly and kept adjusting my insulin levels. I am a type 1 though and on a pump and CGM so it was fairly easy to adjust. Any big diet change you’ve got to test often if you’re on insulin!

1 Like

T2 on insulin going from high to low carb, Be prepared to initially reduce your insulin by half.
Watch at least the last 15 minutes of this video. It will reduce the amount of insulin or not need it anymore.

A T2 on insulin is a whole other ball game than a T1. In general high carb really doesn’t work for T2. It just increases insulin resistance and weight.

from the video above

2 Likes

Jack, I know that some folks with type 2 are able to stop metformin while eating a plant based low fat diet, I don’t know about insulin dependent type 2’s. Go read the website Mastering Diabetes and see what they are saying over there. The comments are from actual people with diabetes and not quotes from studies.

I think it is wonderful that there is just not one woe that works for so many people.

1 Like