Ketogenic Diet Less Than 20g carbs a day ONLY please

Hi,

For those who follow a keto diet of up to 20g carbs a day MAX, please can you tell me what a day of meals looks like??

I’m only interested in VERY low carb 20g carbs MAX daily meal plans

Thank you!!!

an easy one, atkins induction, but all real food.

and

My meals the last few days have looked like this:
Breakfast: Bulletproof coffee

Snack: Herbal tea with coconut oil, nut based cracker with cheese (cracker is the size of 2 palms and totals 3g carbs)…don’t recall the brand name…buy them at a health food hippie type store.

Lunch: Salad with whole avocado, veggies, olive oil/vinegar dressing

Dinner: Veggies fried up in butter, steak/fish/lamb/turkey or chicken and a sugar free jello with creme fresh.

I don’t always eat like this. I’m a work in progress. I am still trying to figure out if it’s safe to eat so low carb long term. I can’t seem to find a definitive answer. It sure makes it easier to control my blood sugars though. And I’ve yet to find another way to control my weight (I’m partial to a very lean look).

By all means cut the sugars/starches right back. I think you may need more protein than that, 75g would be the target and then add fats to the calories you need. If you are eating lots of low carb veg, good protein with healthy fats. getting all your vitamins and minerals, There is no reason why you can’t sustain the way of eating. can you sustain what you are eating now? probably not.

I’m 20-30 carbs/day for over a decade. A1c in normal range…Whatever works…

I’ve been low carb for more than a decade. And very low carb can be difficult. One challenge is that when we are diagnosed we are told that certain foods are free (i.e. contain no carbs). But that isn’t true, almost everything has carbs. And over the day those carbs add up. So even something like broccoli can be problematic, it has over six g of carbs (2g fiber) in a cup of raw chopped broccoli. And carrots, 1 cup of chopped carrots has 12g carbs (4 g fiber). And even that lovely has a gram of carbs.

So while I eat a very low carb diet I generally eat at least 50 g of carbs a day. I’ll have eggs for breakfast, often with some variant of meat, seafood and/or cheese. I’ll have some soup or salad for lunch and dinner is chef’s choice. I generally cook my diners from scratch, last night was scallop and shrimp casserole with salad on the side.

3 Likes

I’m doing low carbs…but having many problems. I’m not having movements…if you know what I mean.

What is your diet like? Have you tried eating some higher fiber foods? Many raw veggies are low in carbs and high in fiber. I also eat things like shiritaki noodles (basically all fiber) and low carb tortillas (again high fiber). Some of it may also be adapting to the diet as your body has to adapt to different diets by producing difference kinds of digestive enzymes. Have you been low carb for long?

@John_R you may need movicol or similar to get bowel open again.
a change of diet can do that., It does settle down…you may need some more fiber for a while, but the low carb veg and salad should be enough long term.
also drink more water, at least 2 liters a day.

I don’t want to derail This Thread with some of my problems right now. My issues should probably be in their own thread. Unfortunately I’m at work right now I’m probably can’t reply to anything until lunchtime or this evening in any detail. Thanks!