Does anyone know why I have ketones even though my blood sugar readings are normal?Do my basal rates need readjusting.I have only been on the pump for a week.Any suggestions would be helpful?
Hi Dee! I have heard that this is possible. Here is what I found on WebMD. I pasted it below or you can look at this link. (http://diabetes.webmd.com/ketones-14241?page=2)
Have you been eating really low carb? You should probably see the doctor if you continue to test positive for ketones (or now just to be safe!).
"You may have ketones in your urine if you:
- Have poorly controlled diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Are on a very low-carbohydrate diet.
- Are starving or have an eating disorder, including disorders that result in poor nutrition such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia, alcoholism, or poisoning from drinking rubbing alcohol (isopropanol).
- Have not eaten (fasted) for 18 hours or longer.
- Are pregnant. However, a moderate amount of ketones in a pregnant woman may harm the fetus and may be an indication of gestational diabetes.
The level of ketones, and not just the presence of ketones, may be important to your doctor as well. Many conditions can change ketone levels. Fasting usually causes only mild increases in the level, but ketone levels in diabetic ketoacidosis are much higher. Your health professional will discuss any significant abnormal results with you in relation to your symptoms and medical history. "