Kidneys leaking proteins

Went to the doctor today to talk about my 3 month A1C blood results. A1C was 7. But he told me my Kidneys were leaking more proteins this test than the last one. He started me on Conversyl 2mg and told me it would help slow down the leaking if I understood right.
Is this something I need to be concerned about. I’m taking multiple daily injections of insulin and four truck loads of pills every day. Anyone have experience with this.
I am getting so fed up with this stuff that at times I just want to stop all the meds and let it play out as it will, but I wont because if I pass out my kids will start poking me with a stick.

Any info I can get would surely help my understanding and I would be quite thankfull.

Hay_Dude,

Sorry to hear about your kidney problems. I’m no expert by any means and I don’t have any kidney problems yet. Is you doctor happy with the A1C of 7? For me I try to shoot for 6 or lower. Maybe getting another look by a different endo might be in order.

Sorry I cant offer much help but maybe somebody with similar issues may offer you some suggestions.

I am shooting for 6 on the next one, 7 is better than it has been. the doc I saw was just my regular doc. I see my D doc in June

Yes, spilling protein into your urine is not good for your kidneys, but I forget the science of why. I’ve been on a low dose ACE inhibitor for years to protect my kidneys from it.

A lower carb diet might help you get better control of your A1C. I’m going to try doing the low carb thing again. Also, the advice about maybe taking low dose ACE drug to protect your kidneys is a good idea. Lisinopril and similar ACE drugs have been scientifically proven to help prevent, and to slow down/stop the progression of kidney disease in diabetics once the medicine is started. So, even if you have some slight damage right now, going on low dose Lisinopril or a similar med can help prevent the issue from progressing. You can read about this here. The drugs are called ACE Inhibitors.

Here is the link: ACE Inhibitors and Protection Against Kidney Disease Progression

Hi peeps, my A1C is currently 6.2 on a lower carb, between 50-130 grams of carbs a day. I’m a healthy weight and eat a lot of protein and veggies. I consider myself to be in very good shape but I’m having the same issues. If anyone has any clues as to what might help please keep me posted. Thanks for the post Dude!

Hi
I wonder if u could ask ur Dr. If u could try Eylea. I switched and it helped. Good luck.

1 Like

I see this is a fairly old post and was wondering how things are now with you. You mentioned that you were spilling protein in your urine. Did your doc order a 24 hour urine test to see how much protein is breaking through? When kidneys are fully functioning, protein should not pass into urine. But, that doesn’t mean that your kidneys are compromised and dialysis is your future. You need to find out how much protein is not being filtered and you need to have follow ups.