LADA Diagnosis vs Type 1 as a child/teen: Activity, Hospital Stays,

Continuing the discussion from A Secret, Until Now:

After reading Richard’s post about how he was kept from participating in physical activity at diagnosis (age 6) and Marie’s reply about her two-week stay in the hospital (age 13), I wondered about those of us diagnosed with LADA and too, those diagnosed with Type 1 as a child/teen.

1. Were you or someone you know kept from activity or told what increased activity can do to your blood sugar?

I wasn’t kept from or told, but I soon learned on my own how even cleaning the house or doing a lot of walking can drop my blood sugar.

1. Were you or someone you know hospitalized at diagnosis for an extended period of time?

I wasn’t hospitalized.

As an aside, I’m also trying my hand at creating a linked topic. I don’t know how successful this venture will be, but we’ll soon see.

1 Like

I don’t think they do that extended stay thing any more, in fact, I’m sure they don’t. It was extremely traumatic to say the least. I remember @Doris_D telling me she had a rather long stay too.

heck, when I got my pump I even had a two day stay in the hospital because my endo wanted my bg checked every hour on the hour the entire time. it was exhausting.

Marie just to varyfiy ur statement in 1973 I stayed 3 weeks in the hospital. when my daughter b/c a diabetic (T1) in 99 she stayed 3 days

I was 10 when I was dxed she was 11

I was in college when I was dx’d in 1984. After the university health services physician gave me the news that I was “the proud owner of juvenile diabetes” (they still called it that), I informed my mom, who of course called my regular family physician, who couldn’t believe they hadn’t hospitalized me. The university physician said, “Well, you seem to be okay with doing this yourself. Do you want to go to the hospital?” To which I answered, “No,” and that settled that.

1 Like

I was 34 and critically ill for almost two weeks. I was too old to go to diabetes camp…:-)…although a few years ago someone actually did put on a camp for adults. Adults are just supposed to man up and go on like nothing happened. I was a director and board member of a public company. I could no longer pass the physical required for critical management so it ended my chances for advancement. I was basically put out to pasture with no threat of losing my currant position.

LADA/Type 1 here: Very different story! I was misdiagnosed as Type 2 at age 57. Was given oral meds, a BG monitor and told my diet was just fine since I (self proclaimed “am a vegetarian, haven’t had sugar in 13 years and eat healthy.” (I ate lots of carbs). All was well for 15 months until my numbers started creeping up and up, and I figured out I was, in fact, Type 1. No hospitalization, nobody told me to not participate in physical activity. (I’m sure since I was supposedly Type 1 they told me to exercise and lose weight - even though I had been steadily losing weight for months without trying to which looking back was a big clue.)

I was diagnosed in 1961 & I remember spending 3 to 4 weeks in hospital. I remember feeling like a pincushion, if they weren’t injecting insulin they were getting blood to test by BG levels. No meters in those days the only way to test BG was in the lab. I was diagnosed with extreme thirst, weight loss & tiredness, nothing dramatic.

I was told to avoid school sports which wasn’t too much of a hardship as I was bad at sports, but it did mean that instead I had to umpire the smaller girls at netball, I was 18 at the time & that was very boring. I also gor fruit for desert at lunch instead of the rather nasty puddings that were served. From the beginning I did all my own shots & urine testing.

I was diagnosed at 22 years old , I don’t use the word LADA as I believe my type 1 had a fairly rapid onset… so yeah. Almost 2 years ago. I have never been hospitalized for diabetes. I was misdiagnosed as type 2 on diagnosis (my gallbladder stones were also misdiagnosed as GERD so that was fun D: ) and they sent me home without any treatment even though my blood sugar was 249 mg/dL . I didn’t get any actual treatment for my diabetes until August or September or something, they gave me metformin before that, but it did absolutely nothing. I also never have been really restricted from anything due to having my diabetes.

Sorry for posting twice, or having my post displayed twice actually. I guess you are supposed to use the darker blue reply button on the bottom rather than just reply to the latest post unless it is directly related. One more thing to think about.

I hospitalized at diagnosis for 3 days and 2 nights at the age of 45. I never was definitively diagnosed at the time, I just assumed I was T2 since I was older, that changed after 3 years of Lantus and Metformin no longer keeping my a1c down.

Noone mentioned anything I couldn’t do, but they did ask me if I drove for a living since insulin usage could effect a commercial license.

i was diagnosed at 36. i was sent to the hospitals diabetes day unit where i went for three days for diabetes education. or maybe it was 2. it was all day and a lot to take in, but the nurses were lovely and i got to go home to my own bed at night.
they did tell me not to exercise at that point, i imagine just to see what my body would do with the insulin dosages prescribed. i remember having to go for a follow up like a week or two later and i cycled there-about 15 minutes away-because they had said i could begin some exercise (with caution). i got there low and one of the nurses was like, “who told you you could exercise?”.

while i caught my t1/lada relatively early-i knew the symptoms and went to the doc to tell her, my friend ended up in icu for a week after her sister found her with laboured breathing and blue lips. she was also in her thirties-and the reason i went to the doctor early.

I was diagnosed at 38 in my first weeks of pregnancy, with what seems to be LADA. Was shown how to inject insulin by the Drs assistant with a cushion, given a prescription and sent on my way… that was nearly 7 years ago now… No hospitalisations related…

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was six years old. Went to my regular PCP who checked my blood sugar and sent us to the hospital right away. I personally do not remember much of my diagnosis or my stay in the hospital itself. What I do remember, is crying a lot. I can tell you it was an extremely traumatic time for my family.

1. I was told that activity could lower blood sugar and then sort of ignored it for about 20 years (1984-2004…) when I became more active, Tae Kwon Do, running, cycling mostly. I don’t do TKD any more but the theories and focus I learned are very useful. No one really kept me from everything and I had all sorts of crazy adventures. Like @Laddie calls her blog “Test, Guess and Go!” but many of them were Gun n’ Roses/ Happy Mondays sort of adventures…heh heh heh. Fortunately, passing out wasn’t all that uncommon in our social set so it wasn’t stigmatizing…

2. I was in the hospital (1984 again…) for about a week getting cleaned out and getting trained in the exchange diet and how to manage things testing 4x/ day.

Diagnosed at age 14 in 1982, in deep DKA. Spent a week in local hospital hooked up to IV’s recovering from DKA. Then spent another week at state university hospital where I got a pretty decent education, even including some on using the primitive home bg testing at the time. To be honest even in that second week I was not fully recovered from DKA yet, although I wanted nothing more than to be out of the hospital.

Was certainly encouraged to do physical activity by the more progressive docs. (Not all the docs back then, were what we would call “progressive” today!). I was never one for sports but did PE with all the other kids (and was very often hypo!) and eventually got into a pretty seriously regular walking regimen of my own devising and motiviation, by my senior year in high school.

Diagnosed at the age of 8, T1, 1962 was in the hospital for 1 month.