Lantus Question

I am starting to do a lot of travel for work. Usually when I travel I like to bring an insulin pen with Lantus in it just in case something goes wrong with my pump.

I usually ask for a fridge in my hotel room, so that's not a problem. I'm just wondering if the half a day to one day the insulin is out of the fridge matters, not so much in terms of it going bad immediately but in terms of me having to throw it out after a month?

Should I buy a Frio or something to keep the insulin in during the period I'm actually travelling (I try to bring all my luggage as carry-on if I can, easier that way). I've never actually had to use the Latnus so, ideally, I would like it to last until its expiry date.

Regardless of the pen ( I use a needle ) and a bottle of insulin , you may want to carry ...I would highly recommend a FRIO pack ( regardless of travel away from home ) ...Jen , talk to you Pharmacist ..he/she may have a FREE one hanging around ???

...PS how is the JOB going ...you are busy ; have not seen you around much :) ??

I am very busy, working full-time plus a part-time position as a research assistant, plus trying to finish my thesis, plus other "extracurricular" activities (Toastmasters, etc.). I barely have time for even offline socializing some weeks!!

I will ask about the Frio next time I'm at the pharmacy. Usually my Apidra insulin I only bring two vials (so 600 units) for short trips, which I use up in a few weeks anyway, so not concerned about them unless they got overheated somehow. I keep them in my backpack so I have control over where it goes. I keep all my valuable stuff in my backpack, and this evening my suitcase almost went missing arriving home at YVR so I'm glad it only had clothes, toiletries, and chargers in it!

Take care busy friend :) .
We have been " hot " in the Shuswap and I have kept my insulin in the fridge ...when ever I travel by plane ,and to hot Kamloops last Sat and Sun( not overnight ) by car ..but was out at the Golf Course volunteering , I had my spare bottle in the FRIO ...better to be safe !..yes to valuables and meds as carry-on !!

i am glad U brought up this question as i have had exactly the same querries in my mind, especially b/c its summer and travel has been an on-going thing. i always pack Xtra infusion/resevoir sets and plenty of the many other meds i am on, however, none of them require refridgeration as the insulin does. i, too, dont want to have to throw away perfectly good ( and expensive) insulin. so what to do?

well, after reading your other responces (thank you all very much!!!) i now know how to prepare for my future travels.

thx a lot.