Learing to Control

i am super new to type 1. i was diagnosed barely a month and a half ago. i want to get my blood sugar under control immediately. i was just wondering how long it takes, or does that depend on the person? can i get this under control soon or will it take time? and when i say time i mean months…i can wait weeks but having constant ups and down for two months or more seems very frustrating and disheartening to me.

Welcome to our community. We are glad to have you here.

I wish type 1 was that simple.

Unfortunately Lala, you are probably still in the “honeymoon period,” so as long as that lasts, you will be making more than other times. It depends on the person how long that will last. The “honeymoon” period is when your pancreas is still trying to make insulin when it should, so sometimes it makes some and other times it doesn’t.

Many here will probably recommend that you read one of two books think like a pancreas by Gary Scheiner and/or Using Insulin by John Walsh. I have both and got them at Amazon. Some people have checked them out from their local libraries. I would buy it, because there is so much information that you will want to reference later. I’d reread it in 6 months.

It’s complicated, and one thing that they may or may not have told you is that monthly hormonal fluctuations will probably change your basal insulin rates. Not knowing that can be really discourating. I have one when I am ovulating, then immediately following for 3 days I have a 2nd, and then the other one I use the rest of the time. I think it took me about 3 months to get that figured out and now I hardly even think about it.

Agree with Baby Tee. Hopefully you will have a good Diabetes Educator to help you learn how to carb count and set up your insulin to carb ratio. Have you seen your Endo yet? It takes time to deal with this complex and frustrating disease.

my educator told me about the flux when its that time of the month. i did get the book think like a pancreas and another one called 50 myths that could kill you and 50 facts that could save your life. i just worry that i am doing things wrong. should i check more? do i not check enough??? i count my carbs and have eaten a salad almost three times a day.

Hi there…sorry you have to deal with this disease…I have been type 1 for 31 years now, I was diagnosed at 18 months old…some people say I am “lucky” because I was diagnosed so early but no one who has to live with diabetes is “lucky”. I would say it helps to have a really good endo who has lots of experience. In my situation I see my diabetes changes with my life…when I was a little girl my food was carefully measured out by my parents and I was punished when I skipped a bs check…as a teenager I didn’t want anything to do with my diabetes, was depressed because I felt “different” and decided I would do what I wanted…my diabetes suffered big time! I was in the best shape of my (diabetic) life when I got pregnant in 2002…I counted every carb from sun up to sun down and was by the book until I delivered. Now, 8 years after having my daughter, I again find myself having a difficult time controlling my bs levels which are usually high. I work 12-14 hour nights at a computer (911 operator) and have highs all night at work ,probably stress.

I share this with you so you can prepare yourself for changes that WILL occur with your diabetes, it will not always be roses and it is hard work…but, it is managable!! Good luck friend!!

Welcome to the club! I realise that it is frustrating and it can be difficult. Certainly control immediately is not an option. You will have highs and lows until you can establish a pattern, so testing is vital.

You do not say what your treatment is, but I suspect it is insulin. You will be given a base dose and then taught how much extra to inject for how much higher than normal you are.

It does depend on the individual, the endocrinologist and how disciplined you are and your health. If you have an infection for example you will find higher readings. Or if you are on certain medications they get worse and you would have to give yourself bigger doses of your insulin.

Even several years in there are for me times when control goes out of the window and it seems sometimes that there is no reason for it, but I know that eventually I will get it back under control. It is a nuiscance, but you need to develop a good sense of humour! I have no hypo awareness until I am VERY low! I was chatting to my pharmacist while waiting for my prescriptions, complaining that my blood sugars were really high. I sat down and decided to do a test and it was low! Sod’s law! It made me out to be a liar! I ate some candy and the pharmacist came back and asked me what I was doing. I told him and then made him laugh when I said “Do you know? I quite like this condition. At least the treatment can be quite pleasant!”

I do strongly recommend that you wear some kind of ID, either a necklace or bracelet stating that you are Type 1 as there may be times when you are not able to communicate this and treatment might be inappropriate for diabetics and the emergency services will need to take this into account.

I remember feeling exactly the same when I was first diagnosed. I think once the honeymoon period ended my diabetes was a lot more predictable. Although coming out of the honeymoon period was very scary (we were on a road trip across Australia). In one year I have progressed from injections to now using a pump, which I like a lot. The battle continues and I suppose never ends. I am glad it is me and not my husband or my kids (at this stage). I find exercise is a great way to help keep BGL’s down.

Take care.

Even during the honeymoon period you may find yourself gaining some control. But don’t be surprised if a few months in (after the honeymoon ends) you have to adjust and adjust to gain back that control. It will come though. And the good thing is that you are going to be a lot more able to control with insulin where it was impossible without. The most important thing is that I hope you are feeling better now that you are on insulin. For me, I didn’t understand how bad I felt until I started on insulin and knew how much better I felt with it. You are in the right place – lots of people here will help you as you embark onto all of this. We are glad to have you as part of the community.

I agree w/ Baby Tee on the books, they are like owner’s manuals and I think they explain things more completely than I recall getting during any of my initial training, I found TLAP maybe more readable than Pumping Insulin but it is really useful.

You may also want to get a scale to measure food with, so you can count carbs precisely? If is definitely possible to “wing it” but, if you are trying to make adjustments to your doses or monitor things in a scientific manner, it is very useful to be more confident in knowing exactly what’s going in, in terms of food?

Testing frequently is very appropriate to getting in control of things as well. I have recently run into a health insurance company, citing the “FDA” telling me that 200x/ month is enough. So far I have a letter from the doctor stating I need more however it hasn’t resolved. Please make sure to test anytime you want to know what your BG is and also that your doctor supports your need for what may seem like a ton of testing?

I was diagnosed in July (DKA, really high, running in the 200s a lot of the time). By October-ish, I was starting to have good levels in the morning. I also was able to test more, and started adjusting my insulin doses on my own (with the approval of my endo) and so I felt more in control.

The time it takes to get in more stable (I’m not sure I’ll ever feel like I’m really in control–but I’m so much better than I used to be) is going to vary for you, depending on how much insulin your body is still producing and all the other random factors that make diabetes so complicated.

I was diagnosed last January with T1 and had a honeymoon period of about 10 months. At first I started with checking my BS and insulin injections 4 times a day. After a while I was able to scale that back and do it 2 times a day since my pancreas was still producing enough insulin to not be on injections completely. My suggestion would be to find a good endocrinologist that will take time to explain everything medically and will be willing to answer all your questions. As far as a medical id bracelet I have not seen one that can compare to the interactive road id. Thanks Baby Tee for the book suggestions. I haven’t heard of them but will give them a read.

thanks everyone. this has been super helpful and its amazing how many responded. i don’t think i have seen an endo yet cause the one my doctor wants me to see has a full calender for months…sorry for not clarifying that i take insulin shots. lantus and novolog.

When you are first diagnosed, sometimes things just happen to your blood sugar that you cannot account for. Your body has been through a major hormonal upheaval. You WILL have trouble with control for about the first 6 months at least. The best thing you can do is test often, log EVERYTHING that you do, inject, and eat. Also, keep a very steady routine. Wake up at the same time eat every meal at the same time, and exercise at the same time everyday. My body did not fully return to “normal” until about 18 months after my diagnosis. But that does not mean that you cannot have good control during the begining stages, but once you hit that 6-18 months, you will feel a definate shift for the better in your body. It sounds like you are doing as well as any new diabetic, keep up the effort and you will be repaid. : )

Really? I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago and spent the weekend in the ER due to DKA. I was able to see an endo within 2 weeks after that. Yes, they have busy schedules but that is no excuse not to see a newly diagnosed diabetic ASAP.

Talk to your pcp again and see if they can help you see an endo sooner, or call the endo’s office and explain that you’re newly diagnosed and want to be seen soon. I’m sure that you’re feeling overwhelmed at this point, and your endo is the best person to help adjust your shots as you begin all of this and help with any questions/concerns you may have.

Just remember that you don’t have to be “perfect” and to take it one day at a time. I was in the high 200’s and 300’s for the first few months and was slowly able to bring it down. It can seem like a lot of work, but you CAN do it and you’ll be surprised at how quickly it will become routine.

ummm…rebecca did not post this…i did…but your welcom :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi -

Don’t worry - it gets better!

I was diagnosed in late January four years ago. I was beginning to get some control by the end of March but it really took until April or May for most things to really click. I’m a CPA and it was a tax season from hell. BUT once things begin to fall in place you start to feel much better quickly.

I was told early on that it takes a year to learn what you need to know to manage diabetes. I think that is about right.

Maurie