Least Toxic Insulin

.We used to use Rescue Remedy on my daughter’s dog who was scared of storms, it calmed him down almost straight away, never failed. We also had tablets from the vet as back up, but many times they were not needed.

1 Like

I have taken college courses in quantum chemistry and it is all really rather simple…

A cat (with diabetes) is placed inside a sealed box. The cat is wearing an insulin pump that is controlled by the “Loop” artificial pancreas system (which its owner has set up for it). The cat has access to a bowl of Whiskas dried cat food (which everyone knows is high carb!!). The box also contains a radioactive substance - if an atom undergoes a decay, this turns on the cat’s iPhone (which is controlling the pump via Loop).

As long as the box remains closed, the Uncertainty Principle tells us that the cat’s blood sugar is simultaneously both elevated and normoglycemic. However when we open the box the waveform collapses to one of the two possibilities.

Simples really…

5 Likes

6 Likes

Key point, I think. Supporting liver and kidney health has to be a good idea for everyone. For those of us that have to use insulin–even more so, imho.

Frontline special on ‘natural’ vitamins/drugs

Yes!

The only insulin which does not contain these toxins is afrezza. It is a monomer human insulin so it is the exact same molecule which is natural to the human body and it is stabilized with an inert coating. Since the body has been tuned over thousand of years to use this molecule and the fact it does not require subcutaneous absorption its pharma kinetics mimic natural pancreatic first phase release.

It was initially developed for use in pumps but it was commercialized as an inhaled insulin. Since it mimics first phase pancreatic release it is being used as a meal time insulin primarily for T2s. But T1s seem to be getting remarkable control when combined with CGMs and nothing is better for corrections because its very predictable and nothing is faster in and out.

Gary Scheiner recently did a review available here Diabetes Bites Newsletter: May 2017

As far as the insulin analogs nobody is sure of the long term effects. There are a number of very concerning studies just starting to appear as the analogs are hitting their 20th birthday. We do know is certain molecular manipulation has caused a mess such as with the AspB10 insulin. Are the preservatives more concerning or the non-natural molecules for long-term issues? We do know cancer is higher in diabetics. The question is why?

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for sharing your story. Toxins in our medications is an extremely salient issue. For this reason, they have long disclaimers!

Hmmm… I was dx’d when I was 3 years old. I am 49 now. If I didn’t take pork insulin I would have died in 1971.
There are folks on this site who have required insulin for 60+ years. We must be super human to resist the toxicity you speak of

2 Likes

I have used 5 types of insulin over a period of 46 years. Maybe these are the safe ones?

I have been battling a severe “insulin hypersensitivity” for about 15 months. We looked into everything. Things were coming up on tests or blood work. I was diagnosed at 10 and I remember every injection since burning like hell. In the last 15 months it went from burning like Hell to feeling like I injected lava and having it spread around my body. I lost the ability to walk. I couldn’t stand from the floor. I couldn’t dress or shower. My arms became paralyzed. My brain felt like it was burning and it became hard to use my body properly. Had over 70 epinephrine injections last year to treat it and I max out on allergy medication (otc and prescribed) daily. My thighs look like giant water balloons are in them. My feet resembled Peripheral artery disease and were turning blue. My hands look like dyputens and I was getting a lot of swelling in my palms. I also developed carpal tunnel and reynauds. Have had horrendous migraines for years. Anyway about 15 months ago I got an extremely high 102-105 fever for 2 weeks. Then shortly after I started getting large red and purple rashes at each injection site. After that I got angioedema head to toe after an injection (I thought it was a bad dream). The I started blacking out and hearing ringing after injections and then I got anaphylaxis after injection and it has been an uphill battle since. I seem to have an inability to inject metacresol without severe allergy. (Also have a very hard time eating anything with preservatives when the allergy acts up bad) (actually in all honesty I have trouble eating anything at all… I’m afraid to see what I really look like once all the histamines go down I can already see my ribs) My entire life I have had these complaints about insulin injections and was told I was a bad diabetic and just needed to fix this or that… which usually made me much worse… including taking more insulin. Taking more insulin through my first pump took me from a size 3 to a size 15 in a few months and my diet was not an issue. I have always eaten very little. My mother always wondered why I grew so tall when I barely ate. I’m in my 30’s now. The last 15 months were torture and I have nightmares. The pain is unimaginable.

It is a blessing that not everyone has a bad reaction to metacresol. However the individuals who do have a long and hard road ahead. I’m about to go the the hospital to get started on inhaled insulin. However there is no long acting metacresol free insulin available. I’m using a slight overdose to tresiba right now to keep the blood glucose levels lower because fast acting causes the most harm with metacresol. But every insulin injection causes anaphylaxis now (I sometimes get lucky and stop or slow it with prednisone but I also avoid prednisone because it causes Cushing’s and I become paralyzed)

I just want to say that a lot of the discussions on here are cruel. None of these people claiming to be doctors have any sort of bedside manner. I’m actually horrified reading this. I have been through torture. It is torture. My feet were so big they looked like they were going to explode. They looked like Jabba the Hut’s tail. Please, try to walk on that without any assistance. I’m 5’10 and normally a size 4. I ballooned to beyond a size 20. Thankfully I’m back to a size 4 but not without the cost of everything. I looked flat to 9 months pregnant within a day with doctors telling me I wasn’t allergic or in danger. Of course these doctors likely had never seen the effects of a severe allergy untreated for 23 year. And here I was getting my reputation destroyed as an over emotional female liar. I have worked a job since I was 14 years old. I have a sister who has a severe deteriorating brain disease, dravet syndrome and lupus. My other sister has bipolar 1 and aspergers. My mom has lupus and RA. Among mand other things. My sister who has the deteriorating brain disease had 3 brain surgeries because she had a stroke caused by 2 avm’s in her brain. I’ve seen it all over the years. We have been promised it all over the years. Any doctor that wants to tell me they’re tough or they know… show respect for the experience. Maybe we don’t know exactly what is going on but we aren’t incompetent. I want to live and I don’t want to take time away from my kids activities because I’m too I’ll. What? Do you think we want to live like that? I’m stuck taking 12 benadryl daily, 4 zrtek, 4 zantac, 1 allegra, 1 montelukast, 2 nasal sprays, topical corticosteroids, topical benadryl and I actually use the nasal spray as a toner to boost it’s strength sometimes. I have tried to stop and get off antihistamines. I could only do that if I barely ate and extremely low carb and then after about a month I would start collapsing out of weakness. I had an endoscopy of my stomach and intestines and quite literally all my tests aren’t finding any severe disease. My kidneys went to almost a stage 4 in a short period of time but upping the allergy meds made the kidney disease go back to a stage 1. My neuropathy with my toes curled leaving me barely able to walk became almost unnoticeable. My pregnant looking belly significantly reduced. The horrible sores on my face, neck and back finally reducing. My horrible deep eye pain… guess what reduced with antihistamines.

So before some doctors talk to young and unknowing diabetics about how they are terrible diabetics (which is what I got a lot of my life… or they never talked to me only to my mom… who never even gave me injections) think about this. Ask better questions. Because I am very angry. Back then, I did not deserve that and I could have avoided the horrendous pain and torture had 1 of my doctors actually spoken to me and listened with the intent to help. I was very talented in music and sports and I have lost ability after ability. In my early 20s I worked 4 jobs to afford insulin and living on my own because my parents wouldn’t allow me to move out of town with them. It was hard, it caused harm. It was also difficult to get a day off to go to a doctor. My jobs were always threatened. You need to put things into context. I still have nightmares.

Anyway I am currently supposed to start the inhaled insulin in a hospital setting. I’m hoping to switch to a medium acting lente insulin at some point which supposedly doesn’t have cresol so I can finally allow the histamines to go down the rest of the way. Each injection causes extreme danger now. I want to be involved in my family life and just have a safe existence.

Some supplements that I have found helpful: fish oil, vitamin d, vitamin b6, b12, DAO enzyme, probiotics, nano cbd oil.

Cbd oil can significantly lower blood sugar so anyone thinking about it should be extremely careful. I’m using one developed by doctors and actually introduced to me by my doctor. Avoid the ones mixed with carrier oils. It just dilutes it. There are flavorless nano options. Also works great topically for pain. (With the kidneys I’m avoiding nsaids) CBD to me replaces ibuprofen. I found that opiates don’t do much for my pain at all. I use CBS and muscle relaxers. I also think about other things to reduce pain. Lol.

1 Like

I can only say I am so sorry you are going through this. My heart felt wishes that it gets better for you.

1 Like

Wow, you have a much, much worse allergy to an ingredient than I had back in the late 1970’s which was an allergy to the beef component in the typical insulins of the day.

My first endo was so sure that he was right–that my complaints were due to anxiety–and I knew it had nothing to do with that; I was quite sure it was due to an allergic reaction. I went to a library and pulled out a huge medical book in the reference section, and read up on insulin. Sure enough, there were passages in it regarding symptoms of allergic reactions to insulin. I had to switch doctors in order to get relief, which came in the form of Purified Pork insulin. Had I not switched doctors I’d have continued injecting the stuff that was torturing me with burning, swelling and itching at the injection site, and an overall prickling sensation everywhere, including INSIDE my eyes. It was literally ALL over me and that AH of a doctor though it was all in my head. I still get P.O. to this day, thinking about how ignorant that endo was. Talk about not listening to a patient!!

I wish you well.

2 Likes

Your report is shocking and painful, yet credible. I am at a loss as to why doctors often lose their curiosity when a patient in front of them report symptoms that don’t easily fit into the doctor’s clinical beliefs. This only exacerbates an already dire circumstance. I am so sorry you’ve had to live with this!

I have no answers for you but wish you well and hope you can participate here in way that gives you some satisfaction.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeah I had a vitrectomy and I was in such miserable pain they had to do a second surgery the next day to relieve pressure. (About 10 months prior to allergy getting super bad) my kidneys went under a terrible attack just before that and I was pushing stage 4 kidney disease and I couldn’t get the blood pressure down. (Which makes me lean toward a histamine intolerance type situation because my blood pressure was always low) anyway I have had to use some sort of allergy medication since diabetes diagnosis. Anyway after doubling up on blood pressure meds and I cut out gluten (not celiac but I was having extreme digestive symptoms) I finally got my blood pressure down and my kidney disease is about a stage 1. So I’m in a lot less danger and actually my heart looks fantastic. It is promising to see that certain issues I was told was a normal part of being a “bad diabetic” have reversed. I could barely walk and my toes wouldn’t straighten out… but increasing the antihistamines helped straighten out my toes. I can wear heels again. I just got started on this experimental medication to reduce mast cells. Taken 3 pills so far and everything is tingling so I think it is going down more. I can see my knees now. It is the same ingredient in allergy eye drops. Which was also surprising that it relieved that horrible hit in the face with a bat pain. And actually some bone in my skull got infected and I needed to get bone grafting. That was seriously painful. Anyway, I’m just super stressed out. I’ve got a toddler. I just want to be a good mom.

1 Like

Oh and I forgot to mention that almost all of my family has a severe allergy (sensitivity) to sulfa. Some of those family members also have an issue with sulfates. Particularly unbearable migraines with white wines. Not so much with reds. But anyway I have that too. Also high preservatives cause me serious insulin resistance. So I’m wondering if there is a type of extreme allergy that is to preservatives or maybe sulfates trigger the metacresol issue (or vice versa). I also had vitiligo that disappeared after high dose allergy meds and a few birth marks disappeared. My largest birthmark faded quite a bit. My biggest starter to the extreme allergy was a large lump in my breast, lump in armpit and giant lump in my lower palm.

(I want to list some of these symptoms in case someone else is desperately looking for help with symptoms)

Also if anyone knows the diagnostic criteria for the molecular insulin allergy I’d like to get that information.