Lets kick off this Month of November with everyones Diaversary!?

To kick of this Wonderful month, as I would assume you now what the month of November means,

I thought it would be fun if everyone could share when there Diaversary is, and maybe a little fact that goes along with it.

I’ll start,

My Diaversary is March 1, dignosed in 2008, right before my birthday on March 7th, born in 1996. I have gone into DKA once don’t remember when that was, wasn’t the best of time, was due to a pump malfunction.
Only big symptom was extream wegiht loss within a month.

~Sarah

1 Like

My Diaversary is January 14, 1984. I was 30 years old and looking back I had diabetes symptoms during the previous year. I never went into DKA. Next January will mark 33 years of battling the beast.

3 Likes

September 20, 1967, right before my birthday too. In those days you spent 2 weeks in the hospital. I have never been in DKA either.

3 Likes

February 1961, can’t remember the exact date. Just before my 18th birthday. I spent about 3 weeks in hospital trying to keep up with my school work before my A Levels. No DKA just extreme fatigue & thirst & peeing all the time & big weight loss.

3 Likes

Sometime in March 2010.

2 Likes

October 20, 1998. Shortly after I turned 50. Never been in DKA either. Just extreme thirst and weight loss.

2 Likes

What is it with Diabetes and birthdays? I was diagnosed on June 13, 2012 on my 50th birthday. I had no symptoms going in - in fact, I didn’t remember ever feeling better in my life! I went to the doctor to treat an infection (which turned out to be just a typical staph infection).

3 Likes

Blessed with The Betes September 21, 1997

5 Likes

August 1981. After going to doctor office and getting diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. I was sent to the hospital an hour away from home. But prior to going to the hospital my mom took me to Dairy Queen for Ice cream ( not sure why she did it but it makes me laugh now).

8 Likes

My Diaversary is November 13, 1992, on a Friday…Yikes! I had been complaining to my mom (also a Type 1) about getting up during the night to use the restroom. She tested me on her meter and I the number was 472. She started to cry and called my Dad. We went to her endocrinologist that day. I had just turned 20 and have moved out of the house a week before. Thankfully I didn’t need to go to the hospital, I just stayed with my Mom for the weekend and she showed me the ropes. I’m an only child and my mom’s doctor told her I had a very slim chance of developing Type 1, but if it did develop it would happen in my teens. Just turned 20 and BAM! So doctors didn’t know anything back then either! LOL
25 years and going strong…no complications except some musculokeletal issues and mild retinopathy that has resolved with improved sugars. I am very blessed!

2 Likes

I was diagnosed April 21st, 2008. Just two weeks shy of my 18th birthday.

2 Likes

No idea about the actual date, but it was some time between May and July 1978. I thought May, my mother thinks July. It was definitely winter though, I remember wearing a navy skivvy and winter skirt. I was 5 1/2 and had started school 6 months earlier.

2 Likes

Not sure the exact date, but around the second week of December 1983, about a month after my 28th birthday. And no I still haven’t figured out exactly how I feel about having my birthday fall on Nov. 14, International Diabetes Day, which I didn’t know until I started hanging out here.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed in August 1962, spent a couple if weeks in the hospital and was released the day after my 8th birthday. No other family members with diabetes, I was the special one :blush: No history of DKA. I have had type 1 for 54 years.

2 Likes

Near as I can tell it was October 8, 1991, at nine years of age. Just passed my 25th diaversary last month. I only had symptoms for a few weeks prior to diagnosis. I don’t know if I was in DKA, but if I wasn’t, I was close. My doctor sent me directly to emergency after doing a blood test (and telling my parents it was, “High enough she could go into a coma at any time…”), and I was admitted to hospital for four days.

2 Likes

I must have been in DKA when I was diagnosed as I went into a coma for 4 or 5 days after I was told I would have to take shots for the rest of my life. Back then I don’t even know if Dr’s. Knew what DKA was.

2 Likes

May 12th 2004, I was 8 and a half (nowhere near my Birthday, lol). We had a Circus at our school that week and i was a tightrope walker, but had to go to the hospital in the middle of the week… :frowning:
I was there for 2 weeks and it was so hot in my hospital room as they were cleaning the windows and they had blocked the blinds and the sun was heating up that room like a oven… good times

2 Likes

July 28th, 2014, 2 weeks after my daughter’s wedding overseas, DKA was awful. So glad to be alive!

2 Likes

thanksgiving day 2011. that was pretty sucky.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed June 24, 2009–and was informed of it by the on-call doctor at my clinic. Telling me that I needed to adjust my meds, I asked,

“What meds?”

“Your diabetes meds.”

“I don’t TAKE diabetes meds.”

6 Likes