Life after gastroparesis

Hi everyone,

My question is for anyone that had been lucky enough to reverse the symptoms of gastroparesis.

Up until a few months ago I had had gastroparesis for years. I didn’t realise how bad it was (I just thought I had a real bad appetite) until 2 years ago I was sick and I brought up a meal from over 12 hours ago. My blood sugars have never been stable anyway but when I told all the symptoms to my Endo, he dx this condition. To cut a long story short I was put on the pump last July due the the delayed gastric emptying and the very unstable blood sugars and hey presto - around Xmas I realised that I could eat a lot more than I used to. (my A1C went form 13 to 8 at last count). The only problem is, I am now finding that I am constantly hungary so I am starting to worry about nibbling too much and putting weight on. I was told that improving my blood sugars would help the gastroparesis (I’m sure I sound like your Endos here but I promise you it has worked) but I am constantly hungry. Has this happened to anyone else? I’m thinking that I actually had it for longer than I think and I just don’t remember ever having this kind of appetite.

PS before anyone asks - if I were eating for 2 now I will be rich beyond my wildest dreams!

Hi Donna,

I have had Gastropresis for about 8 years and it has varied from mild to severe. There have been long periods of time where I’ve been well (like a year without major incident). Then I’ve eventually gotten sick again with another GP episode later. I think it has a lot to do with the unpredictability of digestion with GP. Sometimes your digestion can be normal for a period of time and then very delayed at other times. How well you control your bloodsugars also plays a large part in how severe your GP is. In my experience stress and the amount of rest/sleep I get affects my GP as well.

As far as appetite, yes I’ve had an increase in appetite since I’ve been well too. I have another theory about this though that many other people with GP may be able to relate to. If you’ve been majorly sick from GP for a long period of time, you know how it feels to go through not being able to eat anything for several days at a time. I think, at least in my case, that when you go through this, your body and mind may feel the need to eat more while you are able to do so (while you are feeling well). Think of what a bear does to prepare for hibernation. It eats more to withstand the long period of time that it knows it won’t be able to eat. Although not an exact comparison, you can see how in some ways it makes sense.

I’m glad that your GP is doing better as a result of you improved bloodsugar control. You should keep in mind the stress/rest/sleep factor that I mentioned too that can affect your GP. I almost forgot, getting sick with a virus or other ailment can also make you have a GP episode. So trying to stay well overall will help too.

Margaret

I had it mentioned to me back in early 2009 and was on Symlin with my insulin. At the time I was on MDI and not an insulin pump. For about three months I have been getting symptoms every three weeks up until last Wednesday when I had a severe episode that landed my butt in the hospital. I didn't have any issues up until recently and nothing like this last one. That's when it was mentioned again that i have gastroparesis. Though the stupid doctor forgot to write my referral and didn't tell me to change anything just sent me on my way. I have been doing a lot of things on my own with my own research.

Cherise