Looks like the honeymoon is over

Well, here lately, the BG has been higher on a regular basis, and the amount of insulin (Humalog) I’ve been using has been going up as well. Used to be that if the sliding scale called for six units, I could get by with three, and still might drop pretty quickly. Now, if it calls for six, I inject six, and even then, I don’t get below 121 any time soon.

It’s only been a year - well, a year on the 16th of this month, and it’s already driving me crazy trying to figure out how and where and when and everything else that goes on with the big D. A few months after I was first diagnosed, my MD was impressed with how well I was controlling this thing. I went from a 7+ on my A1C down to a 5.5 in a matter of six months or so. Now, I know I’m going to be back up to the 7s. I know, I need to lose weight, I need to quit smoking, I need to exercise more, I need to…I need to do everything. It feels like a balancing act…while I’m juggling running chainsaws…over a pit full of rapid, angry, wolverines.

It’s been almost 8 months for me and recently I’ve been using more Humalog. A meal that used to give me 140 after meals is now 212 after meals. I’m trying to recalculate as well, but when you’re taught A plus B equals C and now it equals D, it’s confusing. that’s why I don’t like algebra.

Yeah - it’s so much more fun when it’s “sometimes equals d.” Sometimes a meal will take me way up, and then another time, the same meal will take me to halfway to that point. Just a little confusing.

I have been trying to figure it all out for almost 17 yrs…I just get it going well and %^$#@ it all changes on me. Someday I may get it figured out…I best keep trying. :slight_smile:

Who ever thought that eating would involve math!

If you’re just using a sliding scale, it would help tremendously if your endo showed you how to dose insulin according to how many carbs you’re eating. Sliding scale isn’t an accurate method at all. You’ll have far better numbers dosing for food.