Loop comes to Omnipod

Funny I had no idea the “regular” pods were called that! The Dash system was a hard nope from me because i like having my meter integrated. BUT having said that, if I had to change over & use a Contour meter or whichever, I would probably get used to it just fine. The meter isn’t the big issue for me right now anyways, even though my pbm stopped covering the Freestyle test strips as of April 1st, I believe. Thankfully I stocked up and might even make it through the end of the year with what I have. My issue is between Humalog, the price of insulin in general (which I’m aware has been discussed in multiple other threads on here recently), and the deductible on my current health insurance. I much prefer using the U-200 version of Humalog in my pump, but its incredibly cost-prohibitive for me, even though U-100 doesn’t work nearly as well. I had given up Apidra years ago because it was losing its effectiveness for me, but I wonder now if I ought to change back. Maybe my time limit on building up a resistence to forms of insulin is about 3 years. I don’t know. Food for thought. Although I’m sure that will raise my blood sugar too…

I seem to be stubbornly resistent to change, even though it usually works out fine in the end!

@Terry4 I couldn’t resist and have ordered a Riley Link but it is backordered and I probably won’t get it until June or July. A couple of D-friends are sending me pods and a PDM so I can even figure out if I like wearing the pods. I am excited about getting an opportunity to loop although I happily gave away my Medtronic pump and have not regretted it. I think the Omnipod Loop seems much easier than previous versions of looping. If I like looping I’ll have to figure out whether I can switch to Omnipod. It is provided under pharmacy benefits with Medicare and I don’t know whether I will be limited by my Tandem warranty or not. My Tandem pump was not purchased by Medicare. Omnipod is a more expensive option under Medicare but I would be able to handle it if I really like podding. I am not terribly happy with my Tandem pump because of false occlusion alarms but have not yet gotten to use Basal IQ and don’t even know whether Medicare people will be able to upgrade to Control IQ when it is released. TBD I guess.

UPDATE: I just checked the most recent formulary for my Medicare Part D plan and Omnipod is on the formulary. Tier 3, so not cheap but at least covered. I called customer service and she indicated that I am not limited by my Tandem warranty and would have coverage for the Omnipod. I won’t necessarily believe that until I successfully fill the prescription. But I have my endo appointment next week and might ask for a prescription. Even if I never loop, I would love to have some pods for occasional use. I also have enough Tandem supplies to last for a couple of months while I experiment with Omnipod.

1 Like

I’m trying the looping as well. I order up the rileylink right when the news broke, so I’m hoping to have it in the next couple weeks. We’ll see. I was able to get my hands on a box of Omnipods (currently a Tandem G4 user), and fired up my old share receiver.

I will say the instructions on getting the app compiled are a little wonky (I had to perform some steps that weren’t documented), but I’m still very excited to get this going!

1 Like

Keep us posted!

I just received an email that my RL has been shipped! I’m an Android user, including xdrip+, so it will be a change. I don’t think I will be able to use my Wear watch as collector anymore, but I’m sure looking forward to looping!

Since this is communicating with the pod every 5 minutes, has anyone noticed that Loop drains the pod battery low before the 3 days is up?

Live with a green loop and OmniPod. Caleb said it’s like getting a new PlayStation. :video_game:

2 Likes

That’s a thing of beauty!

Some personality types, including me, become engaged and motivated to drive the BG line on the dashboard like it’s a game. It’s a healthy psychological hook that works for me.

1 Like

Very cool!

1 Like

I’m brought right back to the Loop mentality, although not completely. I’m rusty after ten months of non-use.

Our first night went well. Lots of ups and downs and temp basals across the board but ended in a decent spot this morning. The only problem is dexcom accuracy - off by 30 points this am and signal loss for the hour preceding caleb’s waking.