Looping and basal rate

My correction range is 80-80. However, I seem to be running above 80 (more like 90) every night. My hope is that I get to 80 if I fix my basal rate. I can see in the Nightscout LoopAnalyzer that the loop is increasing basal rate more frequently than decreasing it during the night. It is just hard to tell how much the basal rate is off. Any suggestions?

Are you sure that 80 is the optimum BG at all times? Maybe 90 would make your body happier sometimes? Not giving advice; I don’t know your situation. But I suspect that variations are completely normal.

@Michelle43, I am not sure that 80 is the optimum BG. Dr. Bernstein recommended to keep blood sugar levels at around 83. Most likely 90 is as good as 80. I am just curious why setting correction range to X leads to BG levels of X+10. I always enjoy taking the deep dive and learn as much as I can about my favorite topic.

Interesting explanation on why 83.

1 Like

Have you tried using Autotune? It will analyze your NS data and give you a recommended Basal, ISF, and IC. I just ran it on my data for the last week, and it is giving me the exact figures I am using in Loop. So no recommended changes for me.

At the same time, I, too, may not reach my target range throughout the whole night, esp if I start out already higher than target. This varies day to day, but often occurs if I seem to have decreased ISF due to variety reasons, such as, not getting my normal exercise, stress, etc.

I am using a target of 70:70. You could use the LoopAnalyzer report to base your increase to your overnight basal, perhaps start with the smallest amount, eg., 0.05U and see if that helps.

1 Like

Anyone know what to use for “pump basal increment” for omnipods?

And how does one figure out the “Min. 5 Minutes Carb Impact” field?

@Trying, thanks for recommending Autotune. This is exactly the information that I was hoping for. I will report back here when I have done my homework.

1 Like

I ran Autotune. Autotune is exactly what I was looking for. @Trying, do you use more than one basal rate and more than one ISF? I used 2 basal rates (one for day, one for night) and 2 ISFs (one for day, one for night). I now consider to just use one.

1 Like

Just to give you a heads up. My basals were set perfectly prior to Loop setup because it took me so long to get hardware. I had all the fine tuning done - my numbers were perfectly flatline if I didn’t eat.

Note that I still see Loop autocorrecting those flatline overnight basals. The algorithm tends to “flutter,” like it gives more basal, less basal, more basal, less basal. It still keeps me pretty flatline, it is just achieving that through more variable delivery rates.

So, don’t assume your basals are off if you see that behavior.

1 Like

BradP, I haven’t see that field. Which branch are you using? I’m still on the basic Omnipod testing branch.

1 Like

No, I use only one basal, and one ISF. Basal is 0.5U/hr, ISF is 80. I believe Autotune only supports one basal for the full day. I do sometime change ISF during the day temporarily. If I have a persistent high for example, it often is due to absorption issues, so I will reduce ISF so loop will give higher temps to bring down the high. I don’t do this often.

The only setting I ended up changing from pre-Loop is IC. I was 15:1. I changed it to 10:1 in Loop to help prevent the ZB that Loop often gave immediately after a meal bolus. This also means that I may not give the full bolus as calculated by Loop. I may still bolus the same amount as pre-Loop, a smaller amount than Loop recommends. Again, I don’t always do this, but it depends on the meal, exercise, what Loop is actually calculating, etc.

1 Like

I am amazed by the variance in magic numbers. My ISF is 20. When I want to run a higher temp basal, I just pretend that I ate something (= adding carbs). I cancel the temp basal by deleting the carb entry.

1 Like

Sorry “Pump Basal Increment” on auto tune “Autotune will likely recommend basals in fractions of a unit that you can’t program into your pump, so enter here what increments your pump can handle (0.1, 0.5 etc.) to get your results rounded for you.” What is it for the Omnipod?

I believe, 0.05U.

1 Like

Thats it. You can hear it click during delivery, so if you deliver 1 unit, you will hear it click 20 times.

1 Like

If you are using the regular Omnipod branch, I suggest that you consider switching to the JoJo branch which allows you to set Overrides that work very similarly to Temp Basals. You will have to rebuild your App but it was fairly easy. Because of the differences I have with Omnipod from day to day and site to site, this has allowed me to do a lot better with Loop than I was doing when I would put in fake carbs or anything to try to get more insulin. I’ll provide the link here, but you can put in JoJo in the search box of the Facebook group to learn more about it. If you want Beeps when you start and end boluses, then you should consider JoJo-Beeps.

1 Like

Thanks Laddie, I think that’s good advice. I am fortunate that basals have been relatively stable, but that wont last forever.

Omnipod is in 0.05 increments.