LOOPING with DASH - OH YEAH!

I tried 1 and 3 and was correct, so I got it.

So, I have been looping 3 weeks with my Android phone and Omnipod DASH using AndroidAPS and I honestly can’t believe how well it is working for me. I still have a few objectives to finish before it opens up additional features like automation but once I do I think I can get to the 100% TIA on a consistent basis. It took me a week to get used to it but here are my last 2 weeks readings. It really has been a game changer.

4 Likes

Looking good. Keep it up!

1 Like

@BradP
Are you still looping with Dash pods?

And how is it going? Still bugs and pre beta?

Help Please - and sorry if this is a repeat - I am running the Dev branch of Loop with Eros pods and want to change to pair a Dash pod - what do I need to do to my loop settings so that it knows to connect to the Dash pod? TIA!

Sorry I haven’t replied earlier. I’ve been using Omnipod 5 for about 2 months now and am not sure I like it and am considering going back to Omnipod 5 DASH / Dev branch. I started a new thread on this topic.

@Ben8 this is not a good place for dash/dev questions. Check out loopandlearn.org in general and Updated Loop / FreeAPS | Loop and Learn in specific. This is pre-BETA software so you must be an advanced user familiar with how to build and troubleshoot on your own.

1 Like

Sorry I’m not on here very much. Once OM5 came out, I switched to it and let my developer account expire. Definitely not as customizable and not sure I like carying a separate controller around, but eventually they will have it available for my iPhone. I also love that it is FDA approved and supported by Insulet. Don’t like that it isn’t as agressive though and allows me to go higher than I’d like but does a better job at soft landings on lows.

1 Like

Interesting to hear, @BradP. OM5 is not available to me until spring/summer 2023 so I´m contemplating looping with Dash as it´s now possible with just an iPhone, an app and the Dash pod (if I´ve understood it correctly). Having to carry the Riley link with me at all times is what kept me from trying to loop so far.

Good luck with whatever system you end up using. And let us know how it´s going :blush:

Having to carry the Riley Link around is no big deal. It’s much smaller than the PDM!

2 Likes

As of 9/4/2022 4:30pm I gave up Omnipod 5 and went back to Omnipod DASH FREAPPS DEV branch.

I’ve been teetering back and forth about doing this after giving OM5 at least 3 months, but the main reason is this:

OM5 works great if you don’t mind running 150-180+ and are great at pre-bolusing at least 30 minutes before every meal.

But I’m not. I work from home, and eat when I’m hungry. I don’t always remember to pre-bolus before meals, and Novolog just takes too long at 30 minutes to start to bring me back down.

When I was on this same setup, I would use LOOP for basal and use a FIASP pen for all bolusing. It worked great.

Then OM5 came along and I got the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) and wanted to try it. I did for over 3 months. But I just can’t.

3 Likes

I’m using dev loop branch with Dash Pods and iPhone. It is so nice not to have to carry PDM. Every morning I wake up right on target, around 90. Nice to have a good start every day. My A1C dropped from 7.3 to 6.3, which I also attribute to fewer carbs and bolusing and hour before eating.

1 Like

This thread (and your post in particular) finally inspired me to try looping. Been using AndroidAPS for about 3 days now and I’ve been able to keep a time in range of 99% even though I’m still in the open loop. There is a lot more to learn about looping than I expected and I still don’t understand it all. Spent all day yesterday getting through the Objective 3 section and now on Objective 4.

A couple of questions if you don’t mind. Where are you getting those graphs from that you posted? I am running Xdrip+ so I am no longer connected to Clarity. Also, what’s the general consensus of doctors when it comes to looping since it’s not FDA approved? Are they mostly ok with it?

I should also mention that I am using Omnipod Dash. I put in a request to Omnipod to get upgraded to the Omnipod 5 but I’ve been hearing a lot of people are not happy with it so I think I’ll stay with this.

1 Like

9/7 around 1:30pm I finally changed my first dash pod. Much better lengh as I now bolus via FIASP pen and only use the DASH for basal. Loving carying one device vs 2.

As an aside, I heard that Insulet is having problems with a lot of their Android phones right now and told people the solution until fixed is to pair a new pod with their locked down android phone they send in the welcome kit they call a Controller vs PDM. Many people bought a compatible phone just so they could cary one device, so I’m sure they are not happy.

Sorry @TeslaNova not familair with AndroidAPS so can’t comment.

Looping with DASH on the iPhone is only possible right now using an experimental version called DEV branch, which is for advanced users only. The new version 3 is coming out soon which will be stable, easier to install and more supported online.

That’s definitely an image from Dexcom. I’m guessing @Dave4 is using the BYODexcom app as his CGM collector, instead of Xdrip.

You can get the same exact info in the AAPS app, though. It’s just not quite as pretty. Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner, then choose “statistics” from the pop up menu.

I’m guessing there is something similar in Nightscout, too, but I haven’t played much with that yet.

Sorry, but there is absolutely no general consensus on this. It’s going to come down to your doctor’s personality and knowledge. There are lots who are all for it, just as there are lots who are terrified of anything operating without government oversight and their own personal liability. You’re going to have to talk to your doctor and see where they stand.

2 Likes

Those are great results on open loop! Wait until you close the loop, it is awesome!
Yes the charts are from Clarity, my setup is Samsung A53, G6 with BYODA and Dash pods. In BC there is an Endo (now my endo) who actually helps you get started with looping and will supply the app. I think most Dr’s would support it if they understand it.

1 Like

I’m dev looping with dash pods and iPhone. Totally love it. No more PDM and start every day with normal BG. My A1C dropped from 7.3 to 6.3 with vet minimal change on my part. I’ll probably stick with this instead of Omnipod 5.

3 Likes