Omnipod DIY Loop system is now available

Last Friday we saw on Facebook a post that hinted that the DIY loop system for Omnipod was very close to make its public debut… IT DID today!!!

https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/

https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/operation/loop-settings/omnipod-pump/

I have seen a couple of pics of podders looping already!!! One quick detail, if you are planning to order the RileyLink, they are on backorder (bummer) :frowning:

We plan to start this amazing project as soon as we receive the RileyLink, so any tips or help is greatly welcome!

11 Likes

I’m happy (and nervous!) to finally release my code as a public testing version of Omnipod support for DIY Loop. The omnipod reverse engineering effort started in earnest 3 years ago, and has involved a lot of people. But there is one person that really pushed the project through its hardest moments, and contributed hugely in many different ways, and that person is Joe Moran who is also the first omnipod looper!). The project nearly died several times but thanks to Joe’s persistent efforts, we were able to pull off a few miracles. So thank you Joe!

I’ve pushed to a branch that is not part of mainline loop just yet. This is the next stage in testing the omnipod integration. There are still more stages to go before it’s an official part of standard Loop (see my earlier post), and there may still be significant issues that need fixing, even though it has undergone a fairly large test with about 30 testers.

If you are interested in testing, and contributing back with issue reports, and have the right hardware: 433 MHz RileyLink , pods (non-dash), and a compatible iPhone or iPod, then go read up at https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/ . Katie DiSimone has done a great job of revamping the docs to cover Omnipod. I’d also recommend that you sign up at Zulip (https://loop.zulipchat.com/) to keep abreast of development changes, since you’ll be on a branch that is being actively developed.

The story is long, and this post is already getting long, but I’d like to squeeze in a few more thanks. While I wrote the bulk of the code (and so bugs are my fault :hushed:), others have put in a ton of time in testing, analyzing issue reports and comms logs, and working to make this a better app. Joe, Eelke, Marion, and Katie have been very active in the last big push to make this usable by others. And thanks to everyone who donated pods or money. We haven’t been very nice to the pods, I’m sorry. We’ve sacrificed hundreds to the pod fault gods. But they served a crucial role. And I can’t forget James Wedding and the Nightscout Foundation who really kicked this off with the openomni pledge page. So thank you all!

6 Likes

I’m thrilled to see this latest development in the do it yourself (DIY) automated insulin delivery systems. This open Omni is a new wrinkle in that users are now able to use a system currently manufactured and covered by warranty.

The added DIY function and RileyLink radio bridge, however, are not warranteed. This constitutes a significant achievement of the DIY movement. The next improvement will come when Tidepool secures FDA certification for Loop and Omnipod’s manufacturer, Insulet, produces a complete system.

While I’m not an Omnipod user, this opens up DIY looping to a large slice of new users. I look forward to reading about the Omnipod DIY Looper’s as they realize better glucose control with less effort.

5 Likes

Holy crap!!! Very excited, but there is a lot of learning ahead. We are up to it. But, there will be challenges, I imagine. I’m glad tu exists. I have waited so long, but I am not well prepared. This is one of the great triumphs of man and medicine (as Joslin would say). It begins…

Dear Medical Industrial Complex, Some of your rats have chewed a hole in their cage.

My sincerest thanks to the freeware community that made this happen. Thank you for doing so much to remove the shackles. It is the biggest effort of digital advocacy to ever exist. Today, my soul isn’t owned by the company store.

Exciting. I’m assuming for the given duration of the effort that this is for the current generation of pods and not the Dash?? I see reference to “non-dash” pods in the post.

1 Like

Mila, consider giving the adults a run at it for a little while so you can get some feedback on any confusing hang ups/differences before making any serious commitment with a kiddo. It could be a while before hardware is available, so everything might work out just perfect. But, there are sometimes (often) hang-ups with first versions of stuff. There WILL be things that break the system. Let us find those things and explore them. This community will be acquainted very quickly. That will smooth the road for others. Working with hardware will be a great learning experience for your son! Some boys just love hardware.

I’m interested in trying this, but other than purchasing the RileyLink, I can’t find info on how to get started. Where can I find more info?

@JP4D
https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/

2 Likes

Do you have G5 or G6 dexcom? Thats what took me the longest to acquire.

@Trying 's link is the place to start!

1 Like

I am surprised that OmniPod DIY Loop is not a hotter topic. Thanks to encouragement from @Lorraine I switched. The DIY label threw me off. I equated it to ‘inferior’ and ‘high maintenance’. Quite the opposite. This is a polished product, not handicapped by any FDA nonsense. I encourage anybody to consider OmniPod DIY Loop. I see only upside, no downside whatsoever.

3 Likes

I agree with you, @Helmut! Loop is a very polished app, and has only upside. Of course, as with anything related to insulin, we each must be careful when configuring our own settings.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I just started looping 2 days ago and already love it. Very polished product and works well. It seems daunting at first when setting it up, but if you follow the very clear directions EXACTLY, it works great. Take your time and go slow. It worked great with an Apple emulator, so you don’t have t buy a mac pc or laptop to get this configured.

2 Likes