Low carb foods you wish you could buy?

since low carb rice will require the use of a magic wand, low carb breakfast in a box would be great. anything breakfast that’s low carb and tastes good.

I vote for granola bar too! I miss Clif bars - yummy and quicky snacky type energy thingys.

I actually bought one and cut it up into halfs, fourths, and eighths - in order so I could at least have a bitey. The whole bar by itself is 42 carbs! Cut in half it is only 22, cut that half in half it is only 11, cut that half in half is like 6ish. So, I end up with a tiny square but better than nothing when I have a taste for one.

My favorite is Peanut Toffee Buzz. :slight_smile:

I spent like a half an hour at Whole Foods looking through the granola and energy bars and even the seed and nut ones were high in carbs and the bar was small but i think it is because they use certain sweeteners in them like Rice Syrup. I bet if there was stevia instead the carbs might be lower.

Go for it Gerri! :slight_smile:

Cheescake bases and creamy sauces can also be made using nuts like cashews or sunflower seeds. Make amazing cheescakes and sauces for those that are lactose intolerant. :slight_smile: These are non-cook items. Super rich although - they will fill you up fast so you will probably only eat half of what your eyes want.

I would love to be able to have more of a snack type food available…not the 100 cal portions…but foods I know are really lo carb; traveling food. It’s not the meal things that I can’t figure out, or make, it’s the extras I have trouble with. Sauces, syrups, etc that could be made appropriate for me. Dried fruits and nuts would be marvelous. As the gluten free people have their breads, etc, why can’t someone make or develop an carb free or low carb bread?

lava cake sounds good

When I order pie in a restaurant I just it the filling. Does that make it low carb?

Gerri, this is a link to the group that runs the Fancy Food Show in NYC that we’re going to in June

http://www.specialtyfood.com/

tell me if there are any exhibitors that you’d are interested in. My husband gets their trade mag, and I must tell you that gluten-free is trending astronomically.

Am still searching for the wand. Now where did I put it?!

I feel the same about snack food & things I can grab as I’m running out the door. I’m bored of traveling with hunks of cheese & nuts.

There are low carb breads, though the taste isn’t great. They taste flat to me. Check out this discussion I posted about zero net carb breads https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/yes-virginia-there-are-zero I’m waiting for several items to be back in stock to test them out. I wrote the company & requested cinnamon rolls with nuts & English muffins. I’d kill for a English muffin.

Thanks, Marie! What fun that would be. When we lived in Atlanta & I was in the restaurant biz, I loved going to food shows. Those were my non-diabetic days & I indulged shamelessly.

A 2 oz Snicker’s Bar has less carbs (37) than that!

Granola type snack bars seem to be on the wanted list. I’m working on finding what healthy, low carb ingredient can be used to hold them together. Peanut butter melts easily, glycerin can cause spikes, low carb syrups are too thin & not sticky enough to bind. Back to the drawing board!

I got a diabetic cookbook as a gift that had a bowl of pasta on the cover! I pretty much laughed my way through it.

Hi Brunetta,

So happy you’re enjoying the almond bread! I can’t wait to add some blueberries to the batter, when fresh ones are available.

Almond meal & flour are interchangeable. Flour is lighter in texture & color & can be sifted to make it even lighter. Almond flour is made from blanched almonds (skin removed). Almond meal includes the skin & is coarser.

Wish there was a Trader Joe’s where I live.

I looked at a package of apparently low carb engish muffins at the store a few weeks ago. In my mind, they were not low carb - I can’t remember the carbs but they seemed high to me. I think they were some popular brand - probably just marketing and trying to sell them. I would love an English Muffin too - was one of my favorite Breakfast things! With cream cheese!

The low carb bread I have now is called “Healthy Life” - If I go to the right store, they have several different varieties to pick from. I have a rye one I will be eating next. But also ones with flaxseed too. Some are 7g of carbs per slice. I usually toast mine so not too bad toasted. But the bread also has a lot of additives and preservatives too - I like my breads to have like 4 or 5 simple ingredients but there isn’t much to choose from with the low carb breads so if I want me some bread I have to compromise. It does have soy in it so probably not an option for you. THey do have an English Muffin but why are the carbs so high compared to the breads. I could have half of one of them - hmmm…

http://www.healthylifebread.com/category.php?category=1

Kimberly,

Yep, just marketing. Annoying!

One of things I liked about zero net carb Healthwise breads are the ingredients: flours(organic wheat bran, natural wheat protein isolate, natural oat flour), purified water, sea salt, calcium propionate(a natural baking preservative),chicory roots, yeast(sorbitan monostearate). They also have a low carb bread with seeds & nuts that looks like it would taste better. Can’t wait to find out how they taste.

English muffin, all warm & toasty with cream cheese–yum!

What a joke! On another board there is a question posting - what were you told when you were first diagnosed? One poster answered the doctor said eat things like pasta!!
So maybe that was a good photo?? NOT! :slight_smile: Silly, silly, silly
You know…I up in the ER after eating pasta - pre diagnosis. …maybe it wasn’t the pasta after all. HA

I can do one better. I was hospitalized for four days with DKA. After two days in ICU where I was even allowed to have water, I moved to the regular ward. What were “diabetic” hospital meals? Spaghetti & meatballs with garlic bread, grilled cheese made with white Texas toast, soup with corn, peas & potatoes, some meatloaf thing with gravy, French toast for breakfast, cereal w/ milk for the afternoon snack. I was newly diagnosed, knew nothing, but still knew this wasn’t the way to eat. Got reprimanded sternly by nurses when I didn’t want to eat starch & more starch.