Low during a job interview :- (

Hello, I’m new here. I had a devastating experience a few days ago. I’m a special ed paraeducator with a teaching certificate in agriculture education. I’m currently working on a math certification. On Friday, I had an interview for a math job in the school where I work. It was scheduled for 15 minutes after school got out after a typically hectic day. I ate before the interview, but didn’t test. The first part of the interview consisted of teaching a mini-lesson to a group of students while the interview committee observed. I thought the home court advantage of knowing all the students would help me–they were politely attentive, and taking observation notes. (I didn’t know if they were supposed to test my classroom management skills, but they didn’t.) I was more nervous than I thought I would be, but the lesson seemed to be going well when I suddenly began to perspire profusely a few minutes before my time was up. I just kept going, because I didn’t know at first if it was heat from the smart board, nerves, or BG.

After the lesson, I told the principal I thought I was having an insulin reaction, and would need a few minutes. I didn’t take time to test, but chomped down some candy, crackers and water, and tried to compose myself in the 3-4 minutes I had before the panel interview(which included two students). During the interview, when I tried to talk about my experience working with special needs students, I choked up and got teary. It was awful. After the interview was over, I went to my office, fell apart, and ate some more food, then went home.

My students and co-workers are aware of my diabetes, and if I get low during the day, I either quietly get some candy or juice, or excuse myself and go to my office and take a few minutes to test and take care of it. I’ve never gotten so low as to be non-functional, but it’s still a horrible feeling. (I’m not usually a drama queen.)

After reading the accounts of being low while teaching, I realized I wasn’t alone. I appreciate that a great deal.

I’m so sorry to hear about this! How frustrating!

I hope that they will understand that what they saw was not representative.

Check out the group for teachers in our community, click here.

Something similar happened to me when I was about 21yrs, what a long time ago now. I was sitting in front of a panel who were asking questions. I went low, I felt so embarrassed,(which I shouldn’t have ), my confidence wasn’t that great going for the job. They were lovely people mind you

Thank you, Kristin. I sent a follow-up email to my principal thanking her for the interview, reiterating my dedication to the school, and my confidence in my ability to do the job. I didn’t mention the actual low BG episode in the email, as I had told her that was going on. Time will tell.

It sure was a blow to my confidence. In the normal classroom situation, I would have been prepared, and most of the students I work with are very understanding and kind if I have a low. Oh well…

I am sorry you had that experience. I used to interview teachers and this happened fairly regularly.Try to turn it into a positive. Say, I have diabetes, it is one of the most common chronic diseases in school. I am in a rare place to understand why students are having lows, and what to do for the,. In addition I am a role model for kids in this school. It is a real assest.

Two prospective teachers sold themselves like this to principals I worked with, both were hired.

Rick

Cathy:

Oh you poor babe!! My thoughts are with you. If only I knew that getting emotional and teary was part of this, I would have been able to avoid some embarassing situations. But I didn’t and I cried a lot when I shouldn’t have.

Hang in there. I hope you get the job despite your experience. After all, you already work there!

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

I had the same happen to me during a final job interview, and unfortunately since the Diabetes was brand new, I didn’t even think to tell the interviewer the reason why I was acting so weird. I thought I drank enough orange juice to make me normal, but obviously it didn’t do the trick. :frowning: I wish I would have said something, but I thought if I did, they would think I would cost a lot to the company in medical insurance!

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. I didn’t have diabetes yet when I applied for my jobs and interviewed, but I can imagine what you feel. A couple of months ago, I had a bad hypo at work, and you are right…the whole thing is a horrible experience. I hope you realize you are not alone. I think Rick gave you some great advice and how to turn it into a positive. My little niece is also diabetic, and I would love if she had a diabetic teacher in school as a role model there. It would really make her feel better. Some teachers, unfortunately, and the other kids are quite ignorant about diabetes. Try not to beat yourself up about this. I tend to dwell on episodes like this, and it never really helps.

Peter

It sucks. I applied for a job recently where I work. I aced the interview, but I didn’t complete then entire timed practical portion of the selection exercise due to a severe hypo. I came in 2nd place by less than 2 points. So frustrating, as I knew the practical exercises inside and out.

Thank you, Rick. I already work in this school as a para, and I have the support of several of the teachers for this job (math has been the Defense Against the Dark Arts in our school for the past few years, so the faculty and board are looking for stability.) Your input is very helpful, and I will do just that.

Cathy

Thank you, Lois. I am hoping for a positive outcome. I emailed my principal this weekend and thanked her for the interview, and I spoke with her today.

I appreciate the good thoughts from everyone.

Cathy

Thanks to all. It is a huge comfort to know I’m not alone. It’s really not surprising to get low during an interview, considering the stress–especially if you REALLY want the job. Our school secretary, who is a wonder woman (as all school secretaries are) is also diabetic, as are two of the other teachers. The teachers I talked to today are all most supportive.

And I agree, it definitely sucks.

Try not to beat yourself up about this

No, I got that out of my system over the weekend. Now for the damage control.

Cathy