My son was dxed almost 6.5 years ago. He’s been pumping for almost 4.5 years and on Dexcom for 3 years. He’s also in the middle of puberty. He’s been experiencing lows at night that just won’t come up.
- He goes low several hours after dinner so his IOB is minimal to none.
- He does not have any correction IOB.
- We run a 0% basal for hours (last night was 3 hours)
- It takes an inordinate amount of carbs to bring him into a safe range (last night took 72 uncovered carbs to bring his BG out of the 50’s into a safe range).
- He plays tennis, however, this began occurring before he started playing.
The number of hours this occurs after his last bolus makes it unlikely it’s an I:C ratio issue, the duration of time we run a 0% basal makes it unlikely it’s a basal rate issue and since it began occurring before he started playing tennis makes it unlikely it’s an exercise issue. Lastly, being 6.5 years post dx makes it extremely unlikely it’s a honeymoon phase issue.
So, this leads me to believe it’s either witchcraft or his pancreas is spontaneously and miraculously healing itself during the night only to fail again in the morning. How else do you explain no IOB, 0% basal for hours and 70+ carbs to treat a low? Who needs sleep anyway, right?