Make a chart, it works! :)

Ok, so this may sound like the most childish thing to do but I found it works :)

My A1C is always high, I mean always, and not just a little high, its alway up in the 20s, which I know is horrendous and ridiculous! So I decided to buy some groovy little colourful stickers and make a chart to monitor my levels.. I have decided to do my blood sugers 4 times a day (which is alot for me) and just record them. Then I have colour co-ordinated the stickers depending on how low or high my A1C is...

Yes Im 21, and I get that it sounds rather silly but for me it works, it basically incourages me to do my blood sugers more often and that way obviously I can keep a closer eye on what insulin I need and my control has been ten times better even over the last few days.

I don't really know why I feel the need to share this with the whole of TuDiabetes but maybe Im hoping someone might read this who (like me) never used to test their sugars , and when they did they were through the roof, and maybe, just maybe, they will make a nice pretty chart,and record their levels and it might just help them out!

So yeh, thats it really :-)

Wonderful idea! How about posting a pic of your chart?

Great idea. I use an excel spreadsheet and color highs and lows. with excel I can chart my FBS and other readings and show my doc. and can check the spreadsheet to check on outliers. it’s a pain in the arse to upkeep but it’s not so bad once you get into the habit

Sounds cool.I have a diary that I write all my numbers in and then when I go to see my nurse we go through it highlight the hypos and then makes changse with the ratios that I need it helps a great deal.
I am glad its working for you and there is nothing silly abou finding something that works and making it enjoyable.

This is kind of off topic, but have you read “Think Like a Pancreas” by Gary Schindler or “Using Insulin” by John Walsh?

I have been Type 1 since 1984, and they both taught me a lot about how different factors affect your blood sugars. I prefer Think Like a Pancreas (TLAP), but others prefer the other. One thing that is mentioned in TLAP is when you are working to gain control, you start by checking your blood sugars every day for the first week or two. You have already done step one. Good for you! If you want more info, send me a message.

One time when my control was just awful I made an appointment with a nutritionist. I had to pay out of pocket, so to get the most from my money, I started writing down everything - not just insulin and bg, but details about food, timing etc. Keepinjg these accurate records made me see all the different patterns jump out, and within 3 weeks, my numbers were so much better I cancelled the appointment…