Managing Type-1 & Gaining Weight

As a T1D for 15 years as of now, I have always been thin, never exceeded 165 pounds with lifetime average around 150-155. About 2 years ago I found myself tightening my belt slightly and that my weight was 140 (and still at 140).

Was not overly concerned UNTIL my Endo put me on a low dose of Farxiga to see if it would help with daily swings of my BG. Farxiga supposedly can result in weight loss which I cannot afford.

A summary of what I found online for weight gain is below (yes, I did find a few items mentioned in an older post here) and hoping this group might suggest what a T1D should add or remove:

Protein Foods: Ground Beef 70%, Thick Bacon, Chicken with Skin, Pork, Eggs, Steak, Salmon, Tuna, Sardines and other Fish

Fruits and Veggies: Banana, Grapes, Avocado, Pear, Mangos, Papaya, Pineapple, Sweet Potato, Potato, Corn, Peas, Artichoke and Dried – Banana, Raisins, Prunes, Craisins, Dates, Figs

Nuts and Legumes: Peanut Butter, Peanuts, Almonds, Pistachios, Walnuts, Peas, Black Beans, Lentils and Seeds – Sunflower, Pumpkin, Flax

Dairy: Whole Milk, Butter, Heavy Whipping Cream, Cream Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, String Cheese, Cottage Cheese

Carbs and Grains: Brown Rice, White Rice, Quinoa, Pasta, Wheat Bread, Oats, Oatmeal, Wheat Germ, Flax Meal

Oils and Misc: Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Safflower Oil, Peanut Oil, Frozen Pizza, McDouble, Beef and Bean Burrito, Almond Butter, Chocolate Chips, Honey
Drinks: 100% Fruit Juice, Cream Based Liquids

I also recognize that when gaining weight. I have tried to calculate my expenditure on the basis of TDEE Calculator Online. To avoid fat but gain muscle, I will need to begin regular exercise in addition to my preferred (occasional) physical work (where results are immediately seen).

Regards,
Amy

2 Likes

If you are underweight eat more protein and carbs with fats. You burn dietary fat for fuel to run the body. Dietary fat doesn’t make you fat, protein and carbs do. Bernstein advises his patients to eat protein, He added more fat to their diet and found it didn’t increase weight, but the protein did,

1 Like

Great to see I’m not the only one struggling with underweight. It’s understandable that most information out there is about losing weight, because there are many more overweight people than underweight. But still it’s frustrating. How do I gain weight without eating tons of carbs or getting hunted by the health and environmental inquisitions that try to guilt-trip us into eating no meat or anything with high fat content?

Consider celiac disease testing which is strongly linked to TD1. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease which is triggered by the consumption of gluten and causes damage to the small intestine which results in malabsorption. It is a systematic disease and often causes no Gastrointestinal symptoms at all. It may be the reason you are not able to gain weight. It can also impact your blood sugar.