Mantras and More (DBlog)

Bad Days, Brain Fog... (DBlog)

Yesterday we opened up about how diabetes can bring us down. Today let’s share what gets us through a hard day. Or more specifically, a hard diabetes day. Is there something positive you tell yourself? Are there mantras that you fall back on to get you through? Is there something specific you do when your mood needs a boost? Maybe we've done that and we can help others do it too? (Thanks to Meri of Our Diabetic Life for suggesting this topic.)

What gets me through a hard day, a hard autoimmune condition day, a hard diabetes day?

Yesterday was a hard pernicious anemia (autoimmune) day. Brain fog and frustration. It took a while for me to think of why I was having this kind of day; I finally remembered that I'm a week overdue on my B12 shot. Many patients need a shot monthly for PA, I need one weekly. Two hours after the B12 shot and after a good dinner (even indulging in a chocolate-striped macaroon), the fog had lifted.

Back to the original question: how do you get through a bad diabetes day, a day when the lows just keep coming, when there seems to be no way to get back to "normal"? I don't have a clue about what to do other than eat a little, then eat a little more--and don't overdo it! Stay off that roller coaster! When I have that kind of bad diabetes day, I usually have my blood sugar under control about bedtime. Sorry, not much help there.

I have better luck with the kind of bad diabetes day when the highs keep coming, overwhelming me with brain fog and a mild depression. As a Type 1, I get to take insulin, which of course helps. This kind of day could use a mantra, if I had one. I need some good thoughts to cut through the fog and it's aftereffects. On this kind of hyperglycemic day, my three dogs are underfoot, sensing a problem. In all their Golden Retriever enthusiasm, they want to go somewhere, like a park, and revel in nature. Also, my husband is always ready to go hiking with me and the dogs. I need nature--creeks, rivers, oceans, flowers, plants, trees, mountains... If the weather is cooperating, one of our parks is a perfect answer. My blood sugar stabilizes with walking, hiking, and when I am out taking advantage of Mother Mother Nature, diabetes and all it's grief is just not so all-important anymore. If the great outdoors is full of ice and snow and blustery winds, a slightly mindless book and a glass of white wine helps a lot!

When I go to bed at night, I sometimes lie awake worrying about all the chores and problems that are in store for me the next day. I do have a mantra for this sleepless time of night--"I can do it, I can do it...". That's probably a good mantra for a hard diabetes day as well.