Mark Cuban opens online pharmacy

We’ll see what happens with this. But things like this help stop our messed up system.

Billionaire and Mavericks owners Mark Cuban has opened up an online pharmacy offering prescription drugs at cheaper prices.”

“Their strategy behind offering lower prices to consumers is to “bypass middlemen and outrageous markups,” according to a press release by the Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Company.”

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see if they will bill insurance or just offer cash pay similar GoodRX prices, via mail order.
May be competing with Amazon. Good to have lots of options.

3 Likes

I saw in a recent article that they were planning on cash only, so they could keep the pricing as low as possible.

2 Likes

Might be able to match dexcom cash pricing that Costco and Sams can offer.

2 Likes

The website is up and running ( costplusdrugs.com ) though the selection is somewhat limited to what appears to be the most common generics. Pricing also seems to be Cost + 15% + Pharmacy Handling & shipping costs. The model seems to be “make your money in throughput” rather than high margins. It will be interesting to see if this is enough to disrupt the marketplace.

3 Likes

I just heard on Stacey Simms’ diabetes connections podcast (1-27-22 #448) that this site does not include insulin at this time.

@Terry4 That’s a shame, since it’s so cheap in Canada. But I wonder if it’s about the kickbacks involved here and the “cost” is high because of the kickbacks involved in pricing. And generics are very limited yet.