Markets are surging on vaccine news

To me, it’s the virus development scientists who have pulled off the miracles … particularly as there seems to be multiple candidates nearing the finish line.

A distribution challenge with the Pfizer vaccine is that the bulk of the distribution has to be done at -70 C. Basically shipped in dry ice and then kept in super freezers until it reached its final destination. I think that it only has a 5-day lifetime once it is moved into a normal fridge for imminent use.

Given the statistics, after front line health care workers, I’d say that folks living in congregate settings would be the next highest priority.

However, I’m not in charge … but I expect that the bulk of the distribution decisions that will affect most of us in the US for the Pfizer vaccine and any others will be made by the incoming administration and out state governments.

Stay safe!

John

The government has pretty much nothing to do with making vaccines. The FDA in the USA signs off on a vaccine after all of the protocols have been met. Thereby approving it.
It doesn’t matter what state it is or who is the governor is
It doesn’t matter who the president is either.
Vaccines have become a political pawn but it’s really completely separate. Fast tracking them only means they have been allowed to cut some corners.

They politicized insulin as well. Remember How trump said insulin is a cheap as water leading up to the election. .???
Politicians love to talk about insulin in election years.
It’s still 400 dollars a bottle though.
And now that there is not a presidential election going on, no one will talk about it till the next election.
It will probably be 600 per vial by then.
And we will hear what a great job whomever is cutting the price of insulin in half or some crap.
I am tired of being a political pawn and yet never getting any benefit from it. The prices just skyrocket.
I paid 16 dollars a vial in 1987 and my insurance paid 15 of that.
Insulin’s are more complex now. So let’s double it. To 32.
But there’s inflation so let’s double it to 64.

That’s a fair price for insulin, I think.

1 Like

They are making announcements right now as we speak, I think. People are texting/calling me to let me know. Help me stay on top of this - I’ve felt like I was dying all day from a bad episode this morning. Our ICUs are at capacity. The hospital employees are starting to call to make sure I am aware that things are bad (but, this has been obvious for some weeks now). I think this will certainly influence the playbook for distribution in my State’s level. We are anticipated to be an epicenter as traditional flu season ramps up.

I think that the army will be doing the vaccine administration upfront??

Here’s what someone just sent. It just broadcast:

Feels like December, right?

I think that the general population of the elderly fall into the Jan-Feb time frame.

What happens to our Canadian friends? I assume that we will be the supplier for Canada and Mexico because of the logistics. As the alternative vaccines get approved, they might be the recipients? Those will be out shortly.

Extreme lockdown everybody until the vacc is delivered…and high caution afterwards, until the normals are vaccinated. We have hit the ugly part of exponential growth. Exponential growth looks like this…it is bad news.

60 minutes speaks to the State of NJ and those officials are going to try and vaccinate a small proportion of healthcare workers first. Inside the Operation Warp Speed effort to get Americans a COVID-19 vaccine - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Pizer paid to run the US trials, but I think that the Germans developed the vaccine and funded most of the research.

https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2020/BioNTech-and-Pfizer-announce-completion-of-dosing-for-first-cohort-of-Phase-1-2-trial-of-COVID-19-vaccine-candidates-in-Germany/default.aspx

Europe already bought a bunch of vaccines. They get them cheap since they discover.

I find it “slick” this news was delivered within a few days of the election.

They held off because they thought people wouldn’t believe it if they released before the election. But, this has been the scheduled time frame all year. The 60 minutes episode that I posted is really interesting (if you were gonna only watch 1 thing).

1 Like

The article says this…
That’s when it would start to get complicated because if approved, the Pfizer vaccine will require patients to receive two separate shots - 21 days apart.

Wow… 2 separate shots for everyone, and not clear at what point would feel “protected”. Immediately after 2nd shot?

That’s a good question, @MM1. I don’t have the answer.
The posted 60 min episode talks about the fact that they are VERY concerned about the increase in complexity associated with delivering that second shot. They say that the amount of data that they need to manage gets difficult. They are concerned about people not taking the 2nd shot.

I half suspect that this is why patient community gets vacc’ed first (also, because there are not that many of us). We have proven experience with adherence to medical protocols and demands. People in LTC facilities will be easy to locate. That removes some of the problems that arise when vaccinating the normals.

How many diabetics are there in the country?

• 34.2 million Americans—just over 1 in 10—have diabetes.

Oooh, that’s more than the # of vaccines available. You think that they are just doing type 1s? They will prob just keep manufacturing and have enough by the time the last state receives vaccine. NY is not currently accepting vaccine shipments. What does that do to @DrBB and @JamesIgoe and @meee ? They are on the East coast.

@mohe0001 / @gallagher.neal - I don’t believe the timing was political. Pfizer itself did not know about the results until the Sunday after the election when it was released preliminarily to them. Quite literally, the limitation was likely statistical, in this case, enough infections between the 2 groups to have meaningful results, and that level of validity - I don’t know what kind of comparisons they were making - needed to above a threshold of significance.

Pfizer took several interim looks at the data during its vaccine trial, but it did not have enough infections in its test group to gain any meaningful data

1 Like

They knew before the election. They waited. They have known all along. But, I am seeing a lot of misinformation among the Normals. The Normals are very concerned about vaccination. I’m nervous that they wont do it. But, once everyone starts to die, there will be panic. The vaccine is being guarded by the army. People are attacking the computer systems like crazy. I’m nervous about how this goes down once people start to panic. Things could get quite bad.

What do you do, James? If the vaccine isn’t allowed into NY? Do you have a plan? Can you get residency in another state? It takes 183 days to establish residency in MN. That’s too long.

I must say that I consider myself to be normal, but I am worried about getting a vaccination right away. I definitely want a vaccination but I am worried about it.

3 Likes

Residency requirements: How to Establish Residency in Another State - ToughNickel

I can wait. I am not in any way an anti-vaxxer, but I have an inherent mistrust of corporations as well as the current US political regime.

• Corporations have financial incentives to promote, and to some degree misrepresent, facts. It has been known for years that pharma-run studies are notoriously biased in favor of pharma.

• As for the current political regime, […skipping the stuff that people will contend] it has an incentive to have a vaccine available, and has not shown any willingness to act responsibly in managing the pandemic, nor even report responsibly.

• Although the CDC and FDA might have been trustworthy in some prior decade, that has not been true for quite some time. The organizations have been corrupted, the FDA over decades and the CDC more recently, so I rely on my own reading of scientific literature from high quality resources…

• I do trust the experts behind Cuomo, but I would still be a more cautious, and his blessing, in and of itself, would not be sufficient.

3 Likes

If it makes you feel better, we are just doing the manufacturing. This thing was invented abroad. Pfizer is just financing the US FDA approval process. We did not develop the vaccine or do initial testing. Foreigners built this. It was developed by foreign govs with socialized medicine. Corporations will be involved in US manufacturing.

If Cuomo’s regime and experts didn’t accept the vaccine, I certainly would not take it, nor be interested in it. Cuomo’s acceptance of it would be the low bar for my acceptance, but a requirement.

4 Likes

Not sure who this is for, but I certainly know that, and am aware of the background behind its development. It doesn’t make any difference in my acceptance.

Interesting. I’ll keep an eye out if anything changes with Cuomo, but you will prob hear first.