Medtronic 630g versus T-slim

My warranty on my Medtronic Revel has finally expired! However after being tired of that pump, I spent the last 6 months on Omnipod but am highly allergic to the adhesive so sadly can’t stay on it longterm. I’ve been using Dexcom since last Christmas and love it so I absolutely want CGM with my next pump. I was considering the T-slim especially since Tandem said that their next T-slim model (with Dexcom integrated) in early 2017. However, Medtronic announced this past week that they will be releasing the 630g while they wait for the 670g (closed loop system) to receive FDA approval.

So now I’m stuck- in some ways this feels like a much harder decision to make than where to go to college. Does anyone have any suggestions for how they decided what insulin pump to get next? Before trying the pods, I had Medtronic pumps from 2000-2015 so I am familiar with them. Thanks!

I switched from Medtronic to t:slim in January and have been really happy with the decision. I know Medtronic improved their sensor but I really love the integrated Dexcom and attribute a 2-point drop in my A1C to it. The t:slim is sleek, so I like the appearance more than the Medtronic pumps. The two aspects I like slightly less are (1) the leuer lock (sp?), which sticks out if I put the pump I my pocket. I’m mostly over it, but it’s a minor annoyance. (2) I set the alarms to vibrate but learned there are alarms where it beeps three times instead of vibrating (e.g. low bg and non-delivery when the original alerts are ignored). I never used the Medtronic software, but I have found the t:connect software to be fun and helpful if you’re into looking at and analyzing your stats. Good luck with your decision!

1 Like

Hi
I am a new pump user and have been using the Tandem T-slim since January of 2016. I absolutely love it. It is integrated with Dexcom so I do everything from my pump. The touch screen makes everything so easy. I have never used any other pump so I feel a bit spoiled using this one as my first. I cant imagine having to scroll up and down or carrying a receiver. I am so grateful for the strides in diabetic technology.

Also look at Accu-Chek. I think will be a much-improved pump system, I might be worth a look.

I switched from Medtronic to tSlim. I don’t CGM so that wasn’t an issue for me, but I’ve been really happy with the tSlim. I have had no major complaints. My pump settings needed a slight twerking when I first started on tSlim, but other than that it has been pretty easy going. I just really liked the more sleeker look, and looking less like some medical device. Medtronic, while its a good/sturdy pump, I was just really looking for something newer, and more integrated with newer technology. I love the touchscreen, and the tConnect software is great.

Thanks!

I was very excited about the 630g! I met with my new diabetologist, who is also living with type 1, and he had to run out to grab my pump download, but was energized and smiling and said, “oh I’ve got even better news for you in a minute!” When he came back, he told me that the 630g is more of a bandaid solution until early next year, when the FDA hopes the US will be the first place to have the closed loop system released for the rest of us (those not part of the trial – those folks petitioned the FDA to KEEP their closed loop devices because they did not want to give them up (and the FDA agreed they could keep them and continue to use them)… Medtronic apparently got everything to the FDA in June (this year) and the FDA is trying to push it through for early next year.

Now, I may still upgrade, through the Pathway that Medtronic offers, as my pump isn’t yet out of warranty – it’s presumed there will be a Pathway to the 630g. It’s hoped that there will also be a pathway to the closed loop system (aka: artificial pancreas), too. So I’m going to hedge my bet that Medtronic has it first, as they have everything in and the FDA wants it to come out in the USA first (wow, that would be quite a change for the FDA in the USA to get something approved before it comes out elsewhere in the world!), and possibly upgrade to the 630g in the meantime (if it can be delivered to me quickly enough – otherwise, I will stick with my paradigm and possibly activate the CGM feature for now to improve my control and safety).

I am so very excited about the closed loop system. I wouldn’t be as hopeful about this, I’d be much more skeptical (because, of course, we hear about awesome new things coming in just ten years all the time… it’s the big joke for those of us with type 1) if my also type 1 doc hadn’t appeared ready to do a dance when talking about it. He’s very my active in learning about these developments and meets with those working on them. I think we are on the edge of an entirely new way to dealing with diabetes (he does, too).

I’ll keep my fingers crossed and stick with Medtronic based on what my doctor had to say. I also like the appearance of the 630g, it’s more sleek, and it’s waterproof (the specs on that waterproof bit look awesome – it’s testing for 24 hours under a certain number of feet and a certain amount of pressure).

But I’m mostly thinking about that carrot of the closed loop system dangled in front of me. And a comment that was made that some are working to encourage Medtronic to get this thing into the hands of their current pump users first (and, hopefully, free of charge – that’s a thing being worked on, actively, by some).

I completely understand the desire to have a pump that is appealing and sleek. My Minimed Paradigm (not even Medtronic’s 530g, let alone the sleek new 630g that cleared FDA approval just last week) works well and it has a pretty skin on it. I’m so used to her that I have named her (Miss Jellyfish) and I feel naked without her on my hip. I do look at those other pumps, from time to time, but none truly meet with all of my personal requirements.

But we all need to do what we need to do to ensure our diabetes care is as close to all we desire and require. My choices to stick with Medtronic is based on the excited I saw in my fellow type 1 diabetic doctor and the information he presented to me. It does require a bit of faith (and crossed fingers) that there are no kinks in the FDA process. It requires some faith in the FDA, which is admittedly difficult to have given the history of how the process is so lengthy and how other parts of the world traditionally have new technology first and new meds first, but I am not unhappy with my Paradigm for another few months. And if the closed loop takes longer, I can always upgrade to the 630g if I truly feel a need for the sleek and shiny (and waterproof!) pump until closed loop is a reality.

I was walking on air out of that appointment on Friday, though. I’m still on a bit of a high from it. Just knowing all of this has me super energized and I’m back cruising around the diabetes online community. :smile:

I hope that, whatever you end up choosing to do next, that it ends up being just right for you!

And I hope you have wonderful day.

2 Likes