Medtronic trial

Medtronic rep is coming by in a few minutes to give me a trial pump plus CGM to try out. I’ll get to see what it’s like to live with two devices attached to me.

Yipes!

Make sure that you try the Dexcom before you buy - its hands down better cgm

Wow, Dick, how did you know that I was still struggling with this decision? Tell me all the reasons you feel that way.

Also, which pump do you use…and why?

Thanks!
Jan

Copying a reply to another on Tudiabetes

"I am not a Doc. I am a PWD of 32 years pumping since 1990 and CGMing since 1st of this year. I tried both before buying in December. First the minimed and it hurt putting in the sensor and this from someone who tells the Red Cross blood donating nurses - Ive been poked and proded for 30 years - you can’t scare me with a needle. Well the minimed hurts on insertion and right away the trainer was looking for blood and she found it. Took about 10 minutes to get it to stop. Anyhow after using both units, the MM the week before Christmas and the dexcom for christmas week and the week after, i felt that the Dexcom was much more comfortable, and much more accurate. I really wanted the MM because it was integrated, but went with the Animas Pump and Dexcom CGM because they will integrate in time. After wearing it for 4 months, I am pleased with the choice of dexcom and no longer want it integrated. I keep the Dexcom out to check frequently and its easier with it not being tethered to me by the infusion set. Under the covers at night I do not hear the alarms so with the Dexcom, I put the receiver on the night stand and quickly hear it vibrate. When driving I like to keep it in the console and these are all things that would be difficult to do if it was the integrated MM. I also bought one for my wife and without it teathered, It is easy for me to review her numbers. This should be a plus for parents of little ones. So for the most part, I am a big fan of Dexcom! Is it perfect - nope not yet but its the best we got Additonally these old diabetic eyes have trouble with fine fonts and the Dexcom is far easier to read than the MM… One other thing, the alarms were a pain to silence on the Minimed - had to push 2 different buttons in the proper sequence. The Dexcom is a breeze by comparison. I am glad we have more than one company which should drive competition and bette products as they each try to one up the other guy!"

I use the Animas one touch ping and am disappointed in a few regards. I was spoiled with the Deltec cozmo and traded “up” to the new Ping. My disappointments are:

200 ml vs 300 ml - (dont try large reservoir w Humalog - but fine w Novolog)

The remote is worthless for folks w vision issues.

The method of calculating IOB is inaccurate in my opinion (and also per John Walsh) i make my own calculations not their bolus wizard.

No fractional input of the IC ratio. I need 1:4.3 which the cozmo would allow with the Ping I can choose 1:4 or 1:5 This is not an issue if you are skinny and use less insulin say 1:10 then you could choose 10 % less or more but at 4 its +33% or minus 25%

Don’t get me wrong its not a bad pump but I was spoiled bt the Deltec Cozmo which is no longer available. Rumor has it that MM sued them and rather than fight they chose to leave the market. So another reason that I don’t care for MM. The more competition the better.

► Reply

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

I have a Medtronic, and have had no trouble with 2 things attached to me. I don’t find the insertion particularly painful – just a quick thump, and it’s in, and once it’s in, I don’t feel it at all. There almost always IS blood, but I’ve only had the kind of gusher that Dick mentioned once in 7 months of continuous use. MM sensors don’t last as long as Dex, but they’re coming out with a new sensor that is supposed to be smaller, more accurate and lasts longer, as soon as the FDA approves it (which, as we all know, takes forever!) I’m happier only carting one thing around, and would not like to have to use a different device to check BGs.

But the best advice I can give you is to try both, and see what appeals to you more. I can’t use the Dex because I take acetaminophen frequently, and that would foul up Dex readings. I’m not sure why, but it’s in their literature. I’m waiting to see if the Navigator comes back, because I’ve heard better things about IT than about either the MM or the Dex.

Natalie, the acetaminophine is a tie breaker - I prefer Advil to tylenol anyhow so not an issue for me. You say you don’t want two things but then you want the Navaigator - Before they had trouble supplying, I had discounted them as an option (I don’t recall why) but i would be leary of going with someone who left their customers stranded! They should of given refunds to the peole that were stranded. Regarding the seperate devices, after using it, I find it an advantage. I can kee the remote seperate and easier to review than digging for my pump and then remembering to re-tuck the infusion set. I do hope the new Animas vibe will still have something like the one touch ping remote but include the display for the dexcom on it. Time will tell

I think in the future the meter remote AND CGMS will be an option with Animas but the Vibe will not include the meter remote. I would venture to guess Animas will still offer both pumps for users. They will keep the Ping available for those who do not want CGMS so they can still have the meter remote. I have been telling my local Animas rep that if you get the Vibe you SHOULD also get the Dexcom receiver in case you want it. Don’t think that will happen either though…

I love my Revel - very easy to use, nice features, durable, and relatively small. I have not tried Medtronic’s CGM but did try Dexcom’s. For whatever reason, I was never able to get an accurate read with the Dexcom. It would tell me I was low when I wasn’t and it was accurate maybe 50% of the time for me. So I stopped using it and am back to finger poking, which for the most part works well for me. I may try the Minimed CGMS next. For me, integration is a huge plus because I don’t want to have to lug around two different devices.

I have tried Dexcom and MM both. Hands down I prefer Dexcom 7 over MM. I also have the MM pump. I have no issues with two devices attached to me. Dexcom has been a lot more accurate for me then MM has been.

(Dick, I had never heard of “PWD” and tried googling it. I found “password,” “Portland Water District,”, and “Portuguese Water Dog.” Don’t think any of those apply, but still don’t know what this person meant!)

Thanks for the great info. You have helped to confirm some issues I was already considering.

I’ve tried out both, and both hurt on insertion. (But to be fair, the MM sensor went into a much fattier area, so it’s not really a direct comparison.)

Since yesterday, I’m tending more towards the Dexcom for a host of reasons. I do indeed see an enormous advantage of having an untethered receiver to look at during the day, and sit next to me at night.

Thanks!
Jan

Hi, Natalie,

Both companies have some very exciting things in the pipeline, that’s for sure. But as I told an Animas rep the other day, I simply cannot base my decision on a future product. In the meantime, how many buttons do I have to press to bolus several times a day? How easy is it to watch my numbers rise and fall? That’s more important than waiting for vaporware.

As for the acetaminophen, I’m acutely aware of that issue as well. But since I rarely ever use it, I’ve decided that it’s okay to give up.

But it’s nice to know that though you have to wait four years to change a pump decision, you can replace the Dexcom within one year.

Thanks!
Jan

MyBustedPancreas, I think I have a clue for you.

I had about a 45-minute call with a Dexcom rep yesterday – she was great and I learned a lot.

I told her a similar story. My endo loaned me a Dexcom to try out, and was mostly inaccurate, gave me false warnings, and kept losing the signal. The rep assured me that the transmitter must have been old and worn out. They never ever get that kind of feedback with transmitters that are replaced when they’re supposed to be (every year, I think). I have a very strong hunch that the same thing must have happened with your trial.

I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt, and tending towards a Dexcom right now.

Cody, this is what I’m thinking I might do! Use the MM pump with a Dexcom. Please tell me how you made your pump decision. Thanks.

PWD = Person With Diabetes. Obvious, after you already know it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan, I prefer Dex over MM myself but if having separate device so you can hear it at night matters to you, I believe you can get MM’s standalone unit, the Guardian, to put on your nightstand while the pump lies under your bed covers. Others can confirm but I assume the pump and the standalone can simultaneously display the CGM readings.

Thanks for the reply, Don. Hearing it at night is important, of course, to catch lows. But it’s not the feature at the top of my list. The Dex has these three things that attract me:

1. Reputed better accuracy than MM.
  2. A wireless receiver so I can check my readings discreetly (and discretely!).
  3. A shorter lag time.

Can’t see a reason to go to the Guardian. As long as I’m going with a separate device, I might as well get the Dex. But I appreciate your input – thanks!

Within 2 weeks of switching from MM to Animas the whole button pushing thing was forgotten for me. If you are going from no pump to pump it is not something you will ever notice. Besides waterproof, meter-remote, and having a combined CGMS and pump there is not a whole lot of difference between the Ping and the Revel.

I agree that a decision needs to be made based on what is available now but when you know the only hold up on these emerging technologies is the FDA (e.g. the technology is NOT just a concept) it is hard not to weigh in what will be coming in the future.

My understanding is Dex’s Gen 4 will not have the acetaminophen issue. I am crossing my fingers anyway.

Ha ha!

Hi Jan,
I also recommend you join these groups:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/cgmusers
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/medtronicguardiancgmusers
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/dexcomusers