Metformin and UTI's

So, when I was first diagnosed, they gave me Invokanna, which didn’t work that well and gave me a UTI and yeast infection, so they took me off of it.

Now, I have been on Metformin for over a year now and I get a UTI about every 4 weeks. I am seeing a urologist and he didn’t do a scope or a scan, nothing. He just takes my specimen, makes me wait 4 days until everything comes back and then he treats.

I was doing some reading today and saw that metformin is associated with UTI’s. I’ve never had a dipstick show any glucose in my urine so I don’t get why this is happening. Has anyone else had this problem since developing diabetes. My last A1c was 6.9. My sugars stay under 180 at all times.

You probably need to drink more water. The other thing that causes UTIs is sugar in your urine, so keep to a low carb diet to reduce the sugar in your body and you should be ok. 6.9 is fairly high, much higher than I like to be.

Is your doctor verifying that the infection entirely clears up each time?

A person without diabetes tends to be in the 70-100 mg/dL range for most of the day with brief excursions as high as 140-160 mg/dL after meals. More commonly the post meal spikes only peak up to 120 mg/dl. An A1c of 6.9 results in an estimated average blood glucose level around 150 mg/dL.

Even if you’re never above 180, staying at 170 for 5-6 hours is not good for your body and will cause you to spill sugar in your urine. That sugar will feed bacteria and increase the likelihood of a bacterial infection occurring.

Metformin does not work in the same way as Invokana. Invokana intentionally causes your body to spill sugar in your urine to reduce sugar in the blood. Many people have problems with UTIs on Invokana. Metformin reduces the amount of glucose your liver puts into the blood stream and increases your body’s sensitivity to insulin.

I took Metformin for about 6 months, and I needed to drink more water to stay hydrated. I did not develop UTIs though. I’ve never used Invokana.

My suggestion would be to talk to your doctor about your target ranges and whether the infection is clearing up completely. Drinking more water couldn’t hurt either.

Thank you for your suggestions. Katers, the “one” time the urologist checked, it had cleared up. And Pastelpainter, I also agree that my sugars are still too high. I’ve cut my carbs back but for me, when I don’t eat carbs, the metformin gives me diarrhea, which I suspect also might be a source of the UTI’s. It’s really been awful at times. I sort of think I need to get off the metformin. I requested an appt. with an Endo online yesterday. I am sick of all this!!! I have other diseases besides diabetes too, so it’s frustrating for me. Thanks again for your replies! Y’all are awesome!!!

People seem to have less digestive issues with the extended release version of Metformin split into 2 doses per day and taken with food. If you’re running high at meals then the immediate release may be a better fit though. Might be worth discussing the extended release version with your doctor (assuming that you’re currently using the immediate release).

I hope you find some solutions at your appointment! :slightly_smiling_face:

Ooooh yes, I am on the extended release version… LOL… I worked in health care, and knew how sensitive my stomach was, so I requested it…

1 Like

I was unable to take Invokana due to same reason. Suggestions as above:

1. Hydrate
  2. Blood sugar control
  3. Plus,bathroom hygiene hoping this all helps. Nancy50