Metformin Can Be Fatally Toxic W/ Hydroxychloroquine

Nope. Wasn’t me. Sorry. It was DrBB who brought this up first on the forum. Its been going round and round for weeks. I was having in person conversations that coincided eventually on the internet. Sorry. My mistake.

Personally he sounds like a troll. If anyone else would have an issue with him please report. Him
I have

I’m sorry, T2Tom. We are friends. I’m not sure what upset you, but I will re-read thru the thread incase I missed something. (I probably did - I was just kinda glancing at it, while looking at some other things.) I apologize if your feelings got hurt. That wan’t my intention. Your a nice guy. Not trying to be a jerk to you. Maybe it came off that way.

@mohee0001 don’t worry about it. You are the nicest person as can be. The regulars all know this.

1 Like

Not always. You should have seen me last night when I got that strange knock on the door after dark. I was gonna stab this ski pole right into somebody’s eye and knock them out with my Edward Scissor Hands giant coffee mug. I was armed to the teeth. I climbed out the window to take them by surprise.

I think they had a party go bad down the street because the cops were there throwing people out. Their party guests must have had the wrong house.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is true or not since I wasn’t able to open the article. I only know from personal experience I was unable to take Metformin and Metformin ER. My endo at the time got mad at me because I suffered extreme gastro side effects and the Metformin did not change my BG numbers. My endo at the time accused me of cheating on my diet. I wasn’t able to eat anything to cheat.

I was taking and still do take Plaquenil twice a day, plus Remicade infusion once a month, prednisone by mouth and by IV (every other infusion), and Topamax (for fibro). No, my RA is still not under control. SED and CRP rates are horrible.

I’m currently not taking my meds for my diabetes–the T2 meds they give me result in side effects and do not change my results…so I’ve just been controlling with diet. My A1C maintains between 6.0 to 6.5

4 Likes

Brazilian trial for Chloroquine halted after 11 patients die on high dose

2 Likes

Very good point meee. If someone needs treatment for Covid, it makes a lot of sense to stop Metformin for a few weeks while one takes hydroxy choloroquine, if your doctor decides this is the proper treatment. The modest benefits of Metformin can be achieved with other lifestyle choices, and I would be surprised if anyone would be harmed by going off of Metformin for a brief period. Many doctors advocate a medication holiday occasionally anyway. But, always listen to your medical team when deciding, of course.

2 Likes

This is what I hate most… people who actually need it are having challenges already and Rheumatologist’s are having difficulty getting it for patients in some places.

I have juvenile onset rheumatoid arthritis and took Plaquenil years ago. I have many friends with systemic lupus who are stable on this drug and some had severe life threatening disease activity.

It’s also dangerous to Just take as many have decided or hoarding it. It was agreed that it might help some with severe COVID manifestations inpatient and I suppose it’s kinda like a past ditch efforts

Trump said no time for long double blind studies but those on research know that this sorta research… is or can be time consuming… priority and finding would me provided and possible to get at least some basic results especially given the number of participants are readily available and plentiful

That aside, I have QTCprolongation and it’s CAN KILL a person depending on severity. Certain drugs aggravate it INCLUDING plaquenil and many don’t even know they have it especially if thry never had a EKG. It’s often congenital

Another plaquenil issue is that you must have increased eye exams because it can cause blindness

It’s so stupid how a non doctor would say they aren’t a doctor yet imply this is a treatment. Maybe makes them feel like they are doing something to help give “false” hope …

I imagine that if robust research does show it helps, boy there will be a massive I told you so and knew it…

Anyways, I feel sad for the many many people with severe autoimmune arthritis and lupus who depend on this medication!! Just wrong

3 Likes

Articles I’ve read that quote doctors administering hydrooxychloroquine in these emergency conditions are concerned that they will not have good data to measure its effectiveness even if some patients recover. They are throwing the figurative kitchen sink into treatments and the controlled data that comes from clinical testing will be missing.

Its OK, I think. They are testing at least 15 different drugs. More worldwide. Someone will come up with something.

Problem is, without controlled experiments for each one, they may not be able to know what specifically works and why. Scientific method.

1 Like

Listen, they have been perfectly clear - 18 months. If you get off sooner than that, you got lucky. You might get lucky. You might not. If you are fortunate enough to be able to wait for the scientific method, then you got 18 months to play the game. If you think your luckier than that, your in charge of your own risk analysis. Those are the cards you’ve been dealt. You gotta play your own hand.

If you want to stay in the game a long time, I suggest you sell your assets and move into a tent if money is tight. If your already living in a tent because of the last 15 years of recession, sit tight, you are well positioned.

If your gen X or older (meaning you came of age prior to 9/11), you probobly came into the last 15 years of recession with a pretty strong hand. Your probably well situated to play, but there is going to be an adjustment period and some paradigm change because the game is no longer fixed in your favor. You should consider what that means for your individual stake. You wanna play high stakes or you wanna play low stakes? You should be able to answer that, at a minimum.

In many ways, this is an economic blip. The housing market is still gangbusters. Its not gonna last that long (1 1/2 years compared with 15 or 20). Play your cards. We had 3 months of bull market. Don’t let that go to your head. People start winning and they start betting high. We can all sit around and ■■■■■ about our cards. But, your gonna play your hand, one way or the other, so play it thoughtfully.

1 Like

Whoa, settle dude. Only wanted to talk about medical science. Stay safe.

1 Like

Sorry, maybe I had that conversation too many times today already, lol.
That might be overboard. But, maybe its a good summary of every conversation I’ve had on this matter all wrapped into one. Don’t take it personal. Its not really directed at you. Its directed at the universe.

I have taken hydroxychloroquine off and on for 12 years due to late stage Lyme disease/Babesia. I have also been a type 1 diabetic for 54 years. No really bad side effects. I also have secondary MS. RA. and lupus thanks to local doctors not catching the Lyme disease in time. I finally found a infectious disease doctor who saved my life. Not well but I’m still alive. :pray::heart:

2 Likes

I understand that people have been using it to manage Lupus for quite a while.

THAT is an approved and proven use of the drug.

I hope that you will still be able to get it (rather than someone who is paying up front and making a wish)! I did not know there was a medicine that could manage Lupus. I am glad to know it and glad to hear it works well for you.

I think many of us understood that hydroxychloroquine was never something to take on their own and that it could harm people with an actual need, but from the FDA:

FDA cautions against use of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine for COVID-19 outside of the hospital setting or a clinical trial due to risk of heart rhythm problems

With all due respect, hydroxychloroquine has long been withheld to patients with baseline QT prolongation (e.g. QTc ≥500 msec) or with known congenital long QT syndrome.

Patients with long QT syndrome account for < 10% of the general population, and is why ECG’s are given to patients prior to being treated with the drug.

Politics seems to have made a mountain out of this tiny molehill.

2 Likes

The problem is, that for some people, increased social media use only increases ignorance, so it pays to correct it where one can. This is just one myth that I wanted to push back on since I am not sure if we are disabused of it yet…

Regardless of a patients ECG:

Conclusions and Relevance The preliminary findings of this study suggest that the higher CQ dosage should not be recommended for critically ill patients with COVID-19 because of its potential safety hazards, especially when taken concurrently with azithromycin and oseltamivir. These findings cannot be extrapolated to patients with nonsevere COVID-19.