Microdosing glucagon?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+do+the+alpha+cells+secrete

1 Like

I’ll ask you ONE more time: what non-diabetics use PRESCRIPTION Glucagon? I don’t need any medical lessons, thank you.

Where was the word “prescription” in my statement?

When you’ve micro-dosed with glucagon to treat a low, did you find that your basal needs were affected?

Seems like that would be the only real drawback from micro-dosing glucagon. Other than the cost of course.

No real difference with basal. Afterwards when you eat, your body would use the glucose to restore the liver glycogen that was used. But the glucagon is not a long-lasting thing. It’s pretty quick. Rather than your body having to metabolize the carbs through the small intestine, the liver dumps the glucose right into the blood. So it’s fast. It’s not like eating a big meal that takes hours.

Full doses of glucagon can spike you a few hundred points, and can jack you up for hours. But mini doses don’t spike you that much, so the effect is minimal. I don’t think there is any problem with basal.

3 Likes

AS opposed to natural glucagon. I suspect you know full well that there is natural glucagon and there is glucagon obtained at the pharmacy.

And they do the same thing.

Much in the same way that there is natural insulin and there is insulin obtained at the pharmacy. And I haven’t been afraid of using the pharmacy insulin either.

Currently they are working on pumps that will deliver both insulin and glucagon. I know that will set you into a tizzy.

No tizzy here. There are simpler methods of controlling bg’s than resorting to purchased glucagon, is all I’m saying. Like get on a better diet, for one. Stop TAKING SO MUCH INSULIN that you get dangerously low, for another. Better monitoring, such as using a Dexcom. Better insulin delivery such as using a pump instead of MDI. IMO, using glucagon instead of getting to the root of the problem (POOR CONTROL) is an expensive solution that need not be resorted to.

This is a good post, with great info!

6 Likes

Tricky answer @Eric2. LOL
Non-diabetics have functioning alpha cells that secrete glucagon. When non-diabetics go low, their alpha cells saves them. Unfortunately for type 1, after the beta cells get attacked and die, the alpha cells die too. Perhaps killed by the auto immune system too.

Therefore, I have to add, the successful future loop system in the future will have to include glucagon infusion system to automatically deal with hypos. Just like the non-diabetic people.

This future depend on the research and success of having a stable liquid glucagon that can be used in a pump. This product is being tested as we speak. Hopefully it will be available in a year. Sooner if we are lucky.

1 Like

Here’s hopefully the G-Pen, glucagon pen, ready for use, no mixing required. Not yet approved for use. Phase 3 testing for approval.

2 Likes

G-Pen update:

Chicago, IL, Feb. 15, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) –

Xeris Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (“Xeris”), a specialty pharmaceutical company leveraging its novel technology platforms to develop and commercialize ready-to-use injectable and infusible drug formulations, announced the successful completion of two Phase 3 studies and a Human Factors usability and reliability study, and the initiation of a Phase 3b study of its investigational ready-to-use, liquid-stable glucagon rescue pen for treatment of severe hypoglycemia in people with diabetes.

Here’s the article:
https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/02/15/1349229/0/en/Xeris-Pharmaceuticals-Achieves-Phase-3-Milestones-of-its-Ready-to-Use-Glucagon-Rescue-Pen-for-the-Treatment-of-Severe-Hypoglycemia.html

2 Likes

Yeah - I had read on this. I was surprised as [prior to reading on this] I had thought the stable liquid glucagon was much further out on the horizon. However it sounds quite close.

1 Like

Eddie, how do you inject, subcutaneous or into the muscle? Perhaps it works both ways?

Thanks for the link to that glucagon story, @Mila. It’s good to read that more and more of the medical establishment is on board with mini-dosing glucagon. I think any idea like this, when it comes out of the do-it-yourself community only, makes some people nervous. I get that. Natural skepticism is often a good survival trait. But good ideas and treatments for diabetes can also come from the people who live with diabetes. Just because we don’t have credentials following our names does not mean we don’t have some good treatment ideas from time to time.

I would love to use that mini-pen of room-temperature long-shelf-life glucagon that’s currently undergoing clinical testing. It’d be nice not to have to consume so many glucose tablets for mild hypos.

4 Likes

It will work either way, but I have done it subcu.

1 Like

Hello!

This is a friendly reminder to please remember that the written word does not always come across as intended. The conversation above is straying a little off course and taking on an argumentative tone. We can disagree, but please be respectful. Please be open minded to different ways to managing diabetes, and please avoid singling members out in a negative way.

A couple of comments were removed because of their tone. Let’s move on and just stick to the original poster’s question.

Hope the procedure goes/went well, @Lemonz!

3 Likes

I would not use Glucagon in this way unless oral carbs were impossible or not working. I use Glucagon micro-dosing when I get down into the 40s or lower due to gastrointestinal issues where oral correction is not possible or not fast enough. Always follow use of Glucagon with carbs as soon as possible.

3 Likes