My Beades Beat Down

Hey everyone Happy Holidays,

On September 4th I received my diagnosis of type 2 (5’10 about 215 lbs, A1C of 7.2 and Glucose of 172). I was put on 25MG of Jardiance and 500MG metformin 4 times per day.

I changed my diet/gym routines as well and eliminated all starches, bread, sugars and changed my workout routine to 4 days per week of super-sets burning about 400-800 calories per workout.

At my follow up Dr visit/bloodwork my dr had said in his 35 years of practice he never saw anyone reverse the levels as fast and said if he didn’t know my previous levels I would have been a picture of great health. (177lbs, A1C of 5.1 and glucose of 105) Yay Me.

Since Thanksgiving, I thought I could cheat slightly having a small serving of pasta or a dinner roll, nothing too overboard and keeping portions small. I’d say my healthy to unhealthy ratio is 90/10 with the same workout routine and weight fluctuates from 177-180 but my glucose has spun out of control averaging 180 + with highs of 250 plus.

I’m going back to the zero diet routine January 1 to see if there’s a 30-day difference but I’m pretty scared about telling my Dr. and having him starting me on insulin seriously scares me (not to mention the costs).

My other thought is could this actually be type 1 and not type 2 after all?

Thanks, everyone I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and Happy New Year.

1 Like

Quite impressive, you have clearly worked hard to achieve your goals. After putting in all that hard work to get to there it is hoped that you can let up a little and make a soft landing and go into a maintenance mode, perhaps you tried but went a little to far. It is trial and error and a lifetime struggle.

You are also wise to consider that this may be type 1 instead, Type 1 initially diagnosed as Type 2 is not as uncommon as you might think. If your doctor has not considered the possibility insist that he/she do the testing. Even if its an outside possibility you should know the answer.

1 Like

If you are doing everything right and things don’t make sense you could be a type 1 and not a type 2.

The latest figure I’ve read is 40% of type 1’s are misdiagnosed as a type 2 at first, I was for over 8 years. The thing is diet changes and medications can seem to work for a while because you still make insulin for a while as a type 1/LADA. I swam 75 laps a day in a gym pool, had been a vegan for years and ate very healthy, but because I was overweight they automatically assumed I was a type 2 and never tested me even though I asked about it because I had had an uncle that had died from type 1 years ago.

So if things don’t make sense, push to be tested. Misdiagnosis is still rampant and it’s in your best interest to know. You will want an antibody test which if positive tells that you have the antibodies that attack your beta cells and means yes for a type 1. In some rarer cases you might not have the antibodies but still don’t make insulin. So you also want a C peptide test to determine if you are still making insulin and how well. Normal to high on a C peptide is a sign of type 2. Low normal or low is a sign of type 1.

Insulin is scary at first. But I was happy I was diagnosed as a type 1, not because I was happy I was a type 1, but because I was finally diagnosed right. We have this wonderful tool to deal with type 1 and it’s called insulin.

It’s better to know so it can be treated right than to not know and just keep getting sicker. So if you are unsuccessful in controlling your Bg levels do keep it in mind. And the cost of different insulins really is determined if you have insurance and what kind of insurance coverage you have.

2 Likes

Thanks Marie and Gary

I’m going to try the 30 day sugar/starch fast again on the 1st and see if there’s a difference and insist I get a type 1 test as well.

At least on a bright side I can tell my family that they can’t blame my eating habits for it :joy:

1 Like

If 40% of T1’s were misdiagnosed as T2 , what percentage of T2’s were correctly diagnosed as T2”s. I understand that T1’s are mis diagnosed, I have many friends that were, but also friends sat my age over 60 that were correctly diagnosed as t1, but personally since I was diagnosed a t2 with an
A1c of 12, there was a lot of suggestions that I was a T1.
I would hope we could concentrate on the correct T1 diagnosis, not suggesting all T2 Should be diagnosed as a t1

Before you go off on a tirade about T1, I still get challenged that I am not a T2 because I a runner, not over weight and not a fast food Addict and I have no family history of T2

But since I have control my condition with diet and exercise only for 12 years and reduced my Aa1c from 12 to under 6.0 I would conclude I am a T2.
Being. Correctly diagnosed as a t2 is a good thing

1 Like

@T2Tom Obviously a lot of T2’s are diagnosed right. But my concern is the amount of T1’s that don’t have a clue they are actually a T1.

Luckily I was put on insulin fairly early as I reacted badly to the medications. It wasn’t until I switched doctors and was assigned a new endo who tested me right away I was diagnosed right . It turns out that is a common way of being diagnosed correctly.

Sure a lot of T2’s are T2’s, but it is a rampant problem of a T1 being misdiagnosed as a T2. Sometimes we are misdiagnosed for weeks, but sometimes years. There is 500,000 of us misdiagnosed in the US alone? Obviously a very common problem and when our doctors give us a diagnosis we believe them, there is no reason not too because people don’t know to question it.

So I am not out to say hey you’re not a T2, I’m out to let people know it’s a possibility you could be a T1 because I am very lucky I didn’t end up with problems from being misdiagnosed for so many years. And it always sends up little alert signals when certain flags come up to make sure at least the person knows it’s a possibility. And it just takes a few tests to know.

Just a few people I might help along the way to get diagnosed right makes it worth speaking up…Just in case.

Thanks Maria, in my next lifetime I just want to be a TT . Like an Audi TT

1 Like

Obviously you did not read my post closely. Yes there is an issue that many T1’s are mis diagnose. Now when I was diagnosed T2 were an a1c of 12.0 my doctor agreed that there was a potential for me to be a T1, which we did test for. This was 11 years, I would hope that most are given the same information today.

T2’s are not responsible for the misdiagnoses of T1’s

T2’s are not responsible for misdiagnosis. I did not say they were.

11 years ago I was still being told I couldn’t be a T1 because medications wouldn’t work on me if that was a case by a doctor in a major populated area in Southern California. How wrong is that about a doctor saying that? This is near the Loma Linda teaching hospital. You would think an endo in a major metropolitan area and a teaching hospital near would be up to date but I was never tested by my doctor or the endo I had, even when I asked and I said it ran in my family, it wasn’t until I switched doctors, got a new endo that she tested me. It really is the case still today if you get lucky with the doctor you have or the doctor you are sent to if you get diagnosed right. It turns out this is a common way people get properly diagnosed. I have ran across a few people that have finally gotten diagnosed right this past year alone.

This past year is when the stats went up from 35% are misdiagnosed to 40% as they are finding more “misdiagnosed” type 2’s/type 1’s. Hopefully that means a change is starting, but how many doctors probably out there still that don’t have a clue?

So the information needs to be out there so more people know. I had already been on insulin for years, but I was only finally diagnosed right 5 years ago. So yea, it’s still a problem.

I’m not saying everyone is a T1 instead, I just want them aware of the possibility. A simple test if things aren’t going quite as what you expected solves the issue.

Type 2 here. Great job on reducing numbers. But if we try and go back to things like bread and pasta your numbers will go up. I am not sure about statistics of type 1 or not but, have testing done to be sure. Exercise is a big boost in keeping numbers correct and making benefits to good mental health. Sometimes our diabetic life is a bit of a puzzle. Off to the pool for me. Good luck. Nancy50

1 Like

I have to speak up about the misdiagnosis of T1s as T2s. Pretty much everything they have T2s do to reduce glucose numbers also works for LADA T1s because most of them still have some pancreatic function. Maybe not much, but still some. Metformin makes a body more sensitive to insulin. Some T1s take metformin in order to reduce the amount of insulin they need. Cutting down on carbohydrates is very helpful for both T1s and T2s, as is exercise and losing weight. Just pointing out that even if you continue to be misdiagnosed, your diabetes regimen will help rein in those BGs depending upon how much insulin you continue to produce.

4 Likes

If you are T2 and you do want the ability to loosen up a bit from time to time, it may be that having some short-acting insulin on hand could be a way to do that. You’d have to learn how to use it, and then it would be a call as to whether any given carb-y indulgence is worth it (and doing it too often would likely lead to weight gain), but as T1, I don’t understand why more T2s don’t have short-acting insulin as a tool for management and as a way to bring down a high more quickly if you do land there. It seems like a way to bring more balance into life and potentially make managing diabetes with diet and oral meds the rest of the time easier and feel less restrictive.

I think type twos may have too many lows if taking short term insulin. I think I would. Nancy50

1 Like

As for me as T2 my body produces insulin. It will naturally go from 180 to 100 over a period of time, maybe two to four hours time an usually would end up well under 100 with my over active insulin response.

I agree with Nancy50, adding fast acting insulin might be difficult to control.

I know they just released a study that only 6% of type 2’s are actually insulin deficient. So it is not a shortage of insulin that is the problem at all, it’s the ability to use it properly.

1 Like

Hmm, makes sense, but if eating certain foods fairly consistently leads to prolonged highs, seems like it could still be a possible tool for some. Would have to use it very carefully and experiment knowing lows were very possible though. I’d think Afrezza would be better than injected insulin because of the much shorter duration of action (and thus probably less risk for serious hypos), but probably difficult to get insurance coverage for.

I am a T2 using diet and exercise only ( initial A1c12) A1c for last 11 years less than 6.0
Many foods would spike me for a long period of time. I just choose not to eat them. For me a more controllable and much better solution.

I forgot to add that exercise is good tool to lower high bg for me.
This year I had bg almost to 200 because of making a bad choice of food, most likely some unknown rice product in the food. A good 3 mile walk and then later a couple of mile run, reduced my BG. FYI I am 74, In the last year I have not been running as much and my bg have crept up, so New Years resolution is to get back in action. Up until this year I have run at least one 5/10K run amonth and 24 miles a week. not a big deal I have done that for 40 years. I was still diagnosed T2 12 years ago.!

I’m a LADA diagnosed at 78. The odds are that you are a type 2 are pretty good. My experience as a really compulsive follower of Drs orders and avid exerciser lost almost 40 lbs and the best I could do was an A1C of 6.8 and the Dr thinks I’m a super star. Go back to what worked for you.

1 Like