My very 1st Endo appt on Tuesday

so i have my 1st Endo appt on Tuesday i just don’t know what to talk about. still new to diabetes.

There will be a lot of lifestyle questions, eating, sleeping, working. From what you share with them they will work out a plan to keep the BG in control. Good luck and realize they will be on your side.

hopefully you’ve been logging your bg numbers and insulin, food and exercise you’ve been doing. see if you can get some appointments with a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) and a Registered DIetician (RD). Hopefully the endo won’t rush you. make sure you understand your treatment plan. You’ll be managing this yourself. if you have a partner, see if they can go with you.

let us know what happens! I’d be interested in knowing how it goes. good luck, and ask LOTS of questions.

2 Likes

I would write down some of my most burning questions, because you will be getting a lot of information thrown at you, then by the end of the appointment, if those questions haven’t been answered, you can have the endo address them.

Also, you probably want to leave with some goals to work on. Things like fasting and post-prandial (after meal) BGs, improving A1C measurements (an average measure of how you’ve done over the previous 90 days), testing frequency, meal planning, etc.

The most important thing to remember is that you are in charge. Your endo is the expert consultant you have hired to make recommendations. At first, you will want to follow those recommendations as precisely as possible, but when you next meet your endo, part of your discussion should be which recommendations are working for you and which aren’t, along with how to adjust the recommendations to help achieve better health outcomes for you.

4 Likes

That doesn’t only apply to your endo visit :wink:. When you’re new to diabetes, it can feel like you’re drowning in data, sometimes. That’s true of reading books (highly recommended, btw), interacting with members here (also highly recommended), and meeting with health care professionals.

Don’t allow it to throw you. It’s not necessary to absorb everything at once, and it’s impossible anyway–your brain will eventually trip out from overload if you try. Take your time; diabetes isn’t going anywhere and neither are you. You’re in this for the long haul. As some anonymous wise person said, “diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint.” Learn one or two new things every day. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how soon things start coming into focus.

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly endorse this position. Too often, people go on an energetic well-intentioned campaign (New Year’s Resolutions anyone?) and simply burn-out and then put that effort back on the shelf for a year. Good consistent, even small, efforts over a long period can produce tremendous results.

My father counseled when I complained about low pay, “Never underestimate the power of a regular paycheck.”

Good diabetes outcomes are the product of effort and time. We need to pace ourselves for the long game.

2 Likes

Conventional advice is to have a team helping you: endo, CDE, nutritionist, GP. Personally, I hit it off best with my endo and looked forward to going every 3 months to check in, ask questions, etc. Now it’s every 6 months after I got to a fairly steady condition. But I have not gone back to the CDE or nutritionist after the first visit.

Ideally the endo should provide helpful info early on for all the basics plus the details such as BG goals, different types of carbs, adjusting Insulin:carb ratio or adjusting basal insulin. My endo (and I believe most endo’s) seem to be very risk averse about low BG and hypo’s and their advice will be biased toward avoiding hypo’s which is your #1 immediate concern when you are on insulin. This is fine for as long as it takes (6-12 months) to educate yourself partly through trial and error. Be patient and keep track of everything. Over the long haul, you will need to read up and make your own goals for BG control, with the endo as a resource to help you figure things out when you hit surprises (which you will).

just a personal crusade of mine, but anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, you want to make sure if you are getting advice on a diet that you go to to an RD, Registered Dietician, they must go through training and certification. my sister saw a “nutritionist” and I was completely alarmed at the advice she was given.

1 Like

hey everyone. just was wanting to let you know how it was. it was OK she want me to work on some goals. my mom who been managing this with me went with me. i was ask a lot of questions. a lot was ask by me & my mom ask a lot to. she did gave us the names of some Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) and a Registered DIetician. but other then that it was ok. i think i found a endo i like.

6 Likes

@erice, that’s good to hear. Thanks for letting us know how it went for you.